TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Whatever Wonderland gets, they really need to buy a theming package to go with it. That is something Wonderland really lacks with thier coasters, nice theming packages.

Theming? Like ads plastered all over rides and buildings? They dont need that

I'm not talking about advertising, super, I'm talking about theming. Like the difference between Splash Mounain and a generic flume ride or the difference between working elements on Italian Job Stunt Track and non-working elements like on Backlot Stunt Coaster or how about the beautiful Harry Potter areas in Universal. Wonderland doesn't have any rides or areas that are heavily themed. They just buy generic coasters and generic stations and think that is good enough.

^You do realize Wonderland has a much much much smaller budget to work with than Universal does.....and how expensive the Harry Potter expansions were. Right?

And CedarFair1, those "unpainted" track pieces you are talking about are painted brown with the grey/silver bottom.

I'm not talking about advertising, super, I'm talking about theming. Like the difference between Splash Mounain and a generic flume ride or the difference between working elements on Italian Job Stunt Track and non-working elements like on Backlot Stunt Coaster or how about the beautiful Harry Potter areas in Universal. Wonderland doesn't have any rides or areas that are heavily themed. They just buy generic coasters and generic stations and think that is good enough.

Sorry, I was making a six flags joke

Except WMG

comparison, I think I see launched straight un painted pieces at the factory. Compare to holiday worlds launch

The LSM's were already on Thunderbird's track when they were placed in the yard. As were the fins for the brakes. Also, The Launch, Station and Brake track for Thunderbird is essentially a I-beam with rails on it. Only two pieces of the track look like that, which probably makes it a brake run of some sorts. If you look, there are 2 pieces that have a square spine and it looks like a lift hill piece. There appears to be a opening slot in the middle where the chain would go (keep in mind the chain isn't pre-installed like the LSM's). It is probably for the dive coaster for Cedar Point as that track is the exact same color of the track that has the ridiculously huge spine. That tracks looks like it would be for the valley of a first drop on a dive machine. None of the wing riders pull enough positive g's in the valley's of their drops to warrant a spine that big.

Thunderbird's track last year.

Photo credits to my friend on fb. Looks like they've blocked off the path from White Water Canyon to Splashworks. There are some orange markers in the trees behind. Anyone at the park soon to check this out?

I will go tomorrow to get pictures, however if you notice the construction goes into the change rooms looks like a watermain break, the orange stakes in the forest are marking a gas line/ electrical they are on metal poles and not wooden stakes.

Okay so the path way is blocked off from Timber Wolf Falls all the way to the entrance to Splash Works. They are working on a water system there and digging up some sprinkler heads. THERE IS NO ORANGE MARKERS AS REPORTED BY SOMEONE BEFORE ME! There are no new markers at all, so let's make that clear.

The park is BEYOND busy with so many Canadians looking for something cheap and close to do I can't explain how busy the kids side of the park is and Splash Works. I keep going and it's beyond packed, more so then I have ever seen with so many South American Tourists due to the Pan Am games. I seriously think the park is going to pull over 4 million guests this season.

So I spoke with my friend whom worked for the park for 9 years and has a great understanding of everything. He strongly believes we won't be seeing a coaster in 2016 for the following reasons;

1. The park continues to pull strong numbers without large capital investments,

2. The Canadian Economy is taking 25 cents for every dollar earned right now from Canada's Wonderland on a daily basis and has been losing roughly 10-25 cents per dollar since last season!

3. He even went on to say we may not see a large investment in 2017 neither.

He does not work for the park anymore so he is not a source just a brain to pick and I have held my stance against a 2016 coaster because he is the second person I have heard from whom I trust that 2016 is not our year!

1776037987_11780484_10155770662020447_532650613_n(1).jpg.4bddad03f0bf6e87de768558fa529faf.jpg

11774282_10155770662700447_1657241190_n.jpg.6e6dccebac00d55c41d49517e50590b6.jpg

11756452_10155770662190447_458916992_n.jpg.1f0efed0546fdb26bed09478f4a50a6c.jpg

This Helicopter was flying way to close to Windseeker and over the construction site to not be either Matt Ouimet himself just analysing or a site planner for a future project. Could also just be the news I mean the park is slammed pack full of visitors from South America

THERE IS NO ORANGE MARKERS AS REPORTED BY SOMEONE BEFORE ME! There are no new markers at all, so let's make that clear.

There are orange markers. They are only visible from the blocked off path unless they've been removed since it was blocked off. I never said they were new, I'm just trying to help people keep up with what's going on.

Also, the dollar was almost as crappy in 2006-2007 when Behemoth was being planned. It was around $.85 compared to $.80 today, and cedar fair had just taken on the debt load of 6 parks. None of us are economists so I think it's difficult to make accurate predictions on what Cedar Fair is planning to do based on the economy.

The park is BEYOND busy. I seriously think the park is going to pull over 4 million guests this season.

So I spoke with my friend whom worked for the park for 9 years and has a great understanding of everything. He strongly believes we won't be seeing a coaster in 2016 for the following reasons;

1. The park continues to pull strong numbers without large capital investments,

2. The Canadian Economy is taking 25 cents for every dollar earned right now from Canada's Wonderland on a daily basis and has been losing roughly 10-25 cents per dollar since last season!

i don't mean to jump all over your post or your friends comments but, it is funny how people say:

- there are not enough guests to justify investing in a new ride

or

- the park pulls in strong numbers without capital investments so they don't need them.

so which one is it?

also, they pay their wages, utilities, taxes and most supplies in $.75 cent dollars. If their debts are all in USdollars then they should have thought of that earlier.

Sometimes i think that they behave like Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment who take advantage of their fans goodwill like crazy.

Their wooden rollercoasters have been badly neglected over the years and are almost unridable. They fixed the first drop of wildebeast and left the rest. Minebusters lift hill track is visibly crooked and it's helix is basically hexagonal so you get bashed all the way around it. It is unrideable in anything but the front car. YORO

Their food is terrible and very expensive even for theme park standards. I don't even eat the 'dippin dots.

On the bright side, it is 25 minutes from my house and with a platinum pass i can pop over for an hour or two, ride some beemers and my favorite flat ride, one of the few remaining huss giant enterprises. It is a generally well kept up park apart from the actual rides.

so i have mixed feelings about the place.

I would love a nice new coaster close to home, but i would settle for fixing the ones they have, maybe even new trains for their slc headbanger?

It's hard to say, you have to remember Canada's Wonderland target audience is a family park. Investing in two large coasters was probably the first step for the park. I see Matt Ouimet turning Canada's Wonderland into somewhat of Disneyland, you always hear him in interviews saying how gorgeous and how much potential Canada's Wonderland has. We got our two new coasters we never thought we'd see and now were spoiled children and are like ugh wheres our next B&M cause there's supposedly a 5 year coaster plan.

With the numbers I am seeing on a constant basis this season since I live 15 minutes away and go a lot, YES we will see large coasters again, I mean let's be honest we are or were their testing ground. I don't think you noticed something that they did this year but Shannon Kelly even tweeted a picture of the update gardens at front entrance. From front gate all the way to the mountain the park really looks and smells beautiful! They have their best line up of shows and festivals ever and they built a cheap but fulfilling water slide! Guess what that alone worked and from a business aspect if they can invest in small things like that and pull record numbers then why spend 30 million?

The people that are saying park isn't bringing in a lot of people so it won't get a coaster... That's simply not true it's all about your target audience, demand and will that investment bring you success. Thats what the company looks at, the coaster wars are over and your going to see less coasters being built just look at Six Flags their building Larson Loopers for gods sake, atleast be happy were getting nice refreshing investments... Our Moutain waterfalls work again for the first time ina while too!

THERE IS NO ORANGE MARKERS AS REPORTED BY SOMEONE BEFORE ME! There are no new markers at all, so let's make that clear.

There are orange markers. They are only visible from the blocked off path unless they've been removed since it was blocked off. I never said they were new, I'm just trying to help people keep up with what's going on.

Also, the dollar was almost as crappy in 2006-2007 when Behemoth was being planned. It was around $.85 compared to $.80 today, and cedar fair had just taken on the debt load of 6 parks. None of us are economists so I think it's difficult to make accurate predictions on what Cedar Fair is planning to do based on the economy.

you posted that there were more orange markers and that's false, there are still a very small amount of metal poles tipped with orange paint that have been there the whole season so far.