TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

But for its height, and the momentum the train has going into the final brakes, the ride is waaaay too short IMO.

I think, considering the already quite large budget for this monster, B&M did quite well for themselves in terms of layout and pacing. It essentially seems to be designed for speed, so I think it's better that it's still going at a pretty decent pace when it hits the brakes. It amplifies that sense of speed if you're going fast the whole time, rather than burning off all the speed on a few bunny hills at the end and sort of trudging into the brakes.

I don't know how people are going to consider this ride as..."just another hyper...not what I expected...too slow..." Canada's Wonderland took a chance and is making a B&M Giga Coaster....something that's never been done. Also, lots of turns and low to ground transitions. I think this ride will be amazing...the drop will have probably a ton of air...lots of speed going into a forceful turn...pretty well attempt at theming...I think this ride will start drawing in more B&M Gigas around.

I don't know how people are going to consider this ride as..."just another hyper...not what I expected...too slow..." Canada's Wonderland took a chance and is making a B&M Giga Coaster....something that's never been done. Also, lots of turns and low to ground transitions. I think this ride will be amazing...the drop will have probably a ton of air...lots of speed going into a forceful turn...pretty well attempt at theming...I think this ride will start drawing in more B&M Gigas around.

AMEN!

Out of curiosity (and procrastination) I was looking at old posts in the Carowinds thread, and around the time Intimidator was testing, people were joyfully clamoring over how it was flying through the course during tests. Sounds eerily similar to the last few pages here... Don't make the same mistake, B&M! There wouldn't even be a good nickname for Leviathan with 'trim' in it. I mean, Trimviathan? Leviatrim? Those sound stupid! Just say no to trims.

It's nice to see B&M doing something a little different. I've never ridden a B&M hyper that I didn't like, but their hypers seemed to be falling into the same patterns and same basic layouts with hill after hill and maybe an occasional helix. It's nice to see them stay a little lower to the ground to enhance the feeling of speed. Anything different from a B&M hyper is a plus and I'm glad to see them trying some new things. I really hope I get the chance to ride this one day.

If how Canada's Wonderland runs Behemoth is any indication, those trims won't be on very hard, if at all. Since Behemoth opened, I've never experienced hard trims on it. That, and I've only ever felt the first set on. I'm not worried about the trim brake potential for Leviathan.

Out of curiosity (and procrastination) I was looking at old posts in the Carowinds thread, and around the time Intimidator was testing, people were joyfully clamoring over how it was flying through the course during tests. Sounds eerily similar to the last few pages here... Don't make the same mistake, B&M! There wouldn't even be a good nickname for Leviathan with 'trim' in it. I mean, Trimviathan? Leviatrim? Those sound stupid! Just say no to trims.

Le-trim-athon?

To me, it actually seems like the second large airtime hill is getting some good speed. Hopefully it delivers!

It's just going to be like an over-sized hyper...

That's exactly what I think of Millennium Force. Then again, that doesn't stop me from loving it. On the one hand, some factors such as the extra height, steepness of the drop, near-inversion overbanks and ridiculous speed did make me think "this is something special." On the other hand, airtime-wise it was no better than a typical hyper.

I still maintain that whether Leviathan rides basically the same as a hyper or it clearly brings something unique to the table, I'll enjoy it either way.

Oh wow... We are starting to sound like the Disney fanboys at MiceChat. How bout we let the ride open and then judge it? I've yet to ride a B&M Hyper, or a Giga that disappointed me, I think a B&M Giga will be great even if it just dropped into one turnaround and straight into the brakes.

This is B&M's first foray into new territory. It's an outlandishly massive ride, and an outlandishly massive investment for Canada's Wonderland. I would assume that Canada's Wonderland wants to keep maintenance costs as low as possible to make up for the sheer cost of the ride itself. The solution? Design the ride to be fun, but not intense, so that there is less wear and tear on the track and trains over time.

I've said this before - what enthusiasts want and what is best for the park are sometimes two completely different things.

Wonderland just posted a POV, where the camera appears to be mounted on the empty seat on that test run. A third of the video is the lift hill, so you non-lift enthusiasts may skip to around 0:50 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x1b2FAK500

You can actually see the dummies floating as the train goes over the hills.

It looks like 2 or 3 instances of floater air but also a great head-chopper and a lot of cool low to the ground elements. I love the fact that it has a traditional chain lift that will give you time to appreciate how high you are. It's the only giga in north America that has that. Basically, it seems awesome. Short but sweet.

Remind me what the problem is?

I wish it was a RAW pov ... I laughed because nearly the whole first minute of the video is lift hill (half the ride time). That said... I love how you can see the dummy lifted out of the seats for the entire crest of the air time hills. I love how B&Ms pick up speed during every descent..... Other than that.. don't see anything special about Leviathan that Behemoth doesn't deliver if not delivery more of.

Based on the offride videos and POV, in my opinion the best part of the ride (besides the drop) looks to be little hump after the first turn. It is hauling over that and although it is a very gradual hill, it still seems like you are going to get some great untrimmed air there.

I can't believe the lift hill takes nearly 1 minute to get to the top! That's going to be quite the difference compared to Intimidator 305 (17 seconds) and Millennium Force's (27 seconds) 45 degree cable lifts. I don't know about you all, but I find the fast lifts to be very thrilling.

Thanks for sharing the videos guys!

^ Well I mean its a waste of film when half you video is the lifthill. Let me be clear though, the journey to the top is well worth it for whats to come as I think the ride has a great layout (even though on the short side), but At least unlike Steel Dragon 2000, you dont climb all that way for a very long, overdrawn, ride of blah.

For Leviathan, I think I just hoped that half the ride time wasn't accounted for by the lift! I do agree the cable lifts are add to the thrill aspect! Leviathan looks to be great but I am beginning to doubt that it will be better than Behemoth. Just because this ride has a little less than a hundred feet more in height doesn't make it all that better. Guess we have to reserve final judgement upon riding but just my prediction.

I have even MORE exciting news about that POV... That is the very first test run (March 15). The trains now travel the course quite a bit FASTER than what you're seeing. If there was that much air on that first run, I can only imagine how much MORE you will get when this opens!

As for the lift, it was not going full speed on that first run. It goes up quite a bit faster now. It definitely does not take almost a minute for the train to make it to the top.