TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Kingda Ka has a really bad rattle and almost feels like there's a 6" section of track missing at the end of the launch.

This is an extremely accurate description! It amazes me that Kingda Ka has SO much rattle even compared to TTD. Does 8 miles an hour really impact it that much or is there a second factor?

I've had some pretty bad rattling on MF before, but it wasn't as bad last year. Maverick and Fahrenheit both rattle kinda badly, as well. But I think overall, B&Ms tend to develop more rattle.

I've felt the whole track move on Maverick when it pulls into the brake run at the end, especially when the train I'm in is stopped.

Kingda Ka has a really bad rattle and almost feels like there's a 6" section of track missing at the end of the launch.

This is an extremely accurate description! It amazes me that Kingda Ka has SO much rattle even compared to TTD. Does 8 miles an hour really impact it that much or is there a second factor?

Might just be that TTD should have been as tall as that type of ride should have been. KK is also 30'-35' taller, which means more wind to shake the tower and more sway.

^ I've felt that also on Maverick. I always thought that was very interesting!

^ Also, regarding TTD and KK, I would guess it has to do with maintenance, as others have said and hinted at. Six Flags and Cedar Fair probably maintain what are essentially the exact same ride in completely different ways. Parks develop maintenance and operational tricks and techniques over the years that perhaps some use and others don't, or aren't aware of.

It might take some time and growing pains, but CW will also develop little tricks and techniques for Leviathan to help better maintain it and run more efficiently.

I personally have heard the B&M rattle (Diamondback), but never been enough for me to notice on ride. I wonder what causes this to develop...?

From what I have observed, this is because of a difference in the ways B&M and Intamin lock their wheels to the track. B&M uses springs, so the wheels are capable of moving around a lot more during the course. Intamin has the wheels pressed against rubber stoppers, which hold the wheels more firmly to the track, but do cause more friction...at least this is how CP maintains them separately.

It really has nothing to do with it, and I bet TTD gets a lot more wind than KK, being right on Lake Erie. It really comes down to maintenance. I have a feeling the shape & design of the trains have a large factor in it too. Because of the OTSR's locking mechanism, the center of mass on the KK trains is much higher from the track, which would cause them to move around a lot more.

As far as rattle in general on coasters, a large factor that people don't take into account is whether they are sitting in front or rear of an individual car. If you're sitting right on top of the wheels, you will get a much rougher ride than if you are sitting between two different sets of wheels.

As far as rattle in general on coasters, a large factor that people don't take into account is whether they are sitting in front or rear of an individual car. If you're sitting right on top of the wheels, you will get a much rougher ride than if you are sitting between two different sets of wheels.

This is true.

^The rattle seems more prevalent on the new open style trains like on Behemoth and Diamondback. Even though Nitro is over 10 years old it's still smooth as silk. I think that's one of the reasons they went with the 4 across trains on Leviathan.

Wait, so B&M's are notorious for having a rattle?

It depends on who you ask. I don't think so, but evidently there are a few who do. :shrugs:

Jeez is there such thing as a smooth coaster anywhere lmao.

Yes. B&M hypercoasters are generally thought of as smooth coasters.

I belive much of the B&M rattle comes down to train maintenance. When I roda Katun in 2005 they were running two trains. One was rattling quite a lot, while the other gave a very smooth ride. There was actually a huge difference in ride experience.

Intresting rumour going around now...apparently Wonderland may be adding a new wooden coaster as soon as next year which is supposily named "Timber Trains". The location of thew ride is supposed to replace the White Water Canyon ride. It seems kinda weird that Wonderland would add another coaster just after they spent $28 million the previous year but anything can happen these days! I also mapped out the coaster over the White Water Canyon ride and it fit in perfectly....

Here is the concept art that is said to be created by Wonderland: