TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

The trench could be there to make the drop 300'... Remember, the ride should be 306' tall from directly under the crest. The parking lot could be 6' higher in elevation than at the moment where the crest is causing the need for the trench to make it a true "giga". The drop going over that hill with the trees between the parking lot and Dragon Fire is messing with the perspective...

Would Cedar Fair really let another ride beat the record of MF? We have to remember we are dealing with the company who made Intimidator 5 feet shorter and Leviathan 4 feet shorter than MF!

Will nobody ever understand the concept that a "giga" or a "hyper" has a height of 300'/200' AND/OR a drop of 300'/200'? Magnum XL-200 has a drop of 194 feet. Does anyone not consider that a hyper? No. This would be a "real giga" without that trench. But I think we're seeing that trench solely to push this ride over all the rest - a 306-foot roller coaster could probably have a drop of 300' even, but if you dig a ten-foot trench and level out a few feet below, you've got a 306-308' drop, which could take the record.

But don't we use them every time a new coaster that breaks those barriers come out? Shambhala is a hyper, not in a Cedar Fair park? And so are the Supermans, and Steel Dragon is a giga... Sure, it's a marketing term. But we've been using them ever since, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

No real problem, but is there really a difference between 199 feet 11 1/2 inches or 200 feet?

Is a 200 foot coaster different than a 299 foot coaster? There are both classified in the same category.

To me a 299 foot coaster has more in common with a 300 foot coaster, yet people argue that one is a hyper and one's a giga.

Then again I'm one of those people that has never used those terms when refering to a coaster. I just state the real height.

Edited by larrygator

I agree with you there, I'm just one for categories, I suppose. The only reason I brought it up is that most would agree that Magnum is a "hyper," so by that same logic even if Leviathan's drop didn't break 300' then it would still too be considered a "giga." For those who care about those labels, of course.

But really though I just like roller coasters, and I need to dig out my passport for this next summer!

^^That's something that's always bugged me as well; like when someone says Griffon is better than Sheikra because it's "taller". Do you really notice that you're five feet higher up than before? Do you really say "Oh wow, this definitely feels like 205 feet!".

That little of a difference in height has never mattered to me, either.

^Well I don't really like Griffon better than SheiKra because it's higher. I like it better because it has weird and random airtime hills, whereas SheiKra kind of just turns back into the station.

But on a Canada's Wonderland related note, this first drop on Leviathan looks like it's gonna be insane. I'd even dare to say that it's probably going to have the best airtime of any hill on a B&M coaster.

I don't mind using the common terms, but I do think of them more as referring to styles of coasters that most commonly fall into a certain height range. To me, mini-hypers like Steel Eel and Goliath at La Ronde might as well be true hypers, and Millennium Force is basically just an oversized hyper.

If this is anything like my favorite B&M hypers and/or my lone gigacoaster credit, I'm sure I'll love it.

But don't we use them every time a new coaster that breaks those barriers come out? Shambhala is a hyper, not in a Cedar Fair park? And so are the Supermans, and Steel Dragon is a giga... Sure, it's a marketing term. But we've been using them ever since, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

No real problem, but is there really a difference between 199 feet 11 1/2 inches or 200 feet?

Is a 200 foot coaster different than a 299 foot coaster? There are both classified in the same category.

To me a 299 foot coaster has more in common with a 300 foot coaster, yet people argue that one is a hyper and one's a giga.

Then again I'm one of those people that has never used those terms when refering to a coaster. I just state the real height.

Marketing tool or not, ever since height has been a major selling point on a coaster and names have been given to each category the following seems to have been true:

200-299ft: Hyper/Mega

300-399ft - Giga

400+ - Strata

I agree that the comparison if the ride is a foot taller then another is clear as day, but just like people's heights, if you're 4'8" than you can be legally considered a "little person", whereas if you're 4"9" you cannot.

^Hmmm, as always coming in with the top secret information. Love it!

But I am not surprised. There honestly is no other reason for this trench if not to break a certain height/drop goal. They easily could have ditched the trench and just adjusted accordingly.

So excited to be on the verge of a possible world record coaster rather then just a Canadian record holder.

I agree that the comparison if the ride is a foot taller then another is clear as day, but just like people's heights, if you're 4'8" than you can be legally considered a "little person", whereas if you're 4"9" you cannot.

But there are no legalities to classifying coasters with made up marketing terms so people can call a 299 foot coaster a Giga, and a 199 foot tall coaster a Hyper if they want to. Not really a big deal.

^True. It's more or less something the coaster communities/parks/ride manufacturers have made up that stuck. Sure there's no law per say, but it's just kind of been around since, well I guess XL-200 would've started off the "hyper/mega" craze.

Regardless if you dub it the worlds first "Super Amazing Fun Time" coaster, it still looks like it will be an amazing ride.