TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Maybe they will use this design to make a similar coaster in Knott's because it seems like the coaster doesn't take up much room. (If this was mentioned, sorry I just can't go through 25 pages.)

Also, the price is not extremely high since both Millennium Force & Intimidator 305 costed $25 million and this only costs $28 million. I think the extra cost is because it has 6 large hills while Millennium Force and I305 both have 4.

2 things that concern me is the amount of time to reach the top and the short duration from the top of lift to brakes (though I305 is also short like this).

I see Leviathan coming after Behemoth a lot like when a park builds back to back wooden coasters. Holiday World being a good example, Raven, Legend, Voyage... same type of ride but with very different layouts. That's why I'm surprised some people aren't receiving Leviathan well, it's not going to FEEL like Behemoth.

Do you really think that? With B&M the last 5-10 years if there's one thing I've come to expect is that the rides will FEEL exactly the same! Goliath, Goliath, Intimidator, and even the older hypers and newer ones, I could close my eyes and have no clue which one is which!

I totally agree with this - I've been on quite a few B&M Hypers now, almost back to back in the past 14 months - Silver Star, Apollo, Nitro, Goliath, Goliath, Intimidator, Diamondback, Hollywood Dream, etc, and Elissa is right, they all feel exactly the same.

I too have felt that B&M thrills have become homogenized for quite some time. It's like buying a Big Mac in NY or LA; the corporate ideal is that they will taste the same. However at 300 feet this certainly does look intriguing.

Despite some perceived similarities posted elsewhere regarding Behemoth, I think Leviathan will more than cut the muster. And I can only imagine what that first drop will feel like in the back seat!

Edited by bumprnugit

As someone with Wonderland as their home park and as an enthusiast who has ridden 570 coasters, I'm fine with this announcement and choice of coaster type for a few reasons. When I saw the layout and specs it looks more similar to a Millennium Force type of coaster (fast and turny) than Behemoth which is more of a hilly airtime type of design, so I think the rides will be different enough to be distinct and enjoyable. I haven't ridden some of the other recent offerings like either of the Intimidators or Diamondback that people are comparing the layout to but I do enjoy Millennium Force whenever I get to Cedar Point. Although, I wouldn't have minded a tunnel or 2 like Millennium Force has. Other than Behemoth, the coaster lineup is very tame for the thrill seeker at this park, so it will be no worse than the second best coaster of the bunch, guaranteed! The wooden coasters are even more pathetic, though, so if I had my say I might have suggested something like a GCI wooden coaster before another steel coaster of any type. I guess I'll still have to go on road trips to Martin's Fantasy Island or Waldameer to get a ride on a decent wooden coaster. Although, I would have had difficulty objecting to a steel coaster like Maverick, as some have suggested here. A floorless or inverted wouldn't be too bad either. I'm not a big fan of the flying coasters or dive machines, so for me Leviathan is a better option than either of those. I like the location on the other side of the park away from where most of the newer rides(Psyclone, Sledge hammer, Time Warp, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Behemoth) have been added, recently. This should help ease some congestion. Right now, I only go to that corner of the park to ride Riptide, the park's topspin. Also, to put this in a historical perspective from a local enthusiast, the Cedar Fair era has already eclipsed the Paramount era. In the 1994-2006 Paramount era (12 years total) the coasters added were Flight Deck, the Fly, Time Warp, and Backlot Stunt Coaster. With only Flight Deck being a coaster of any interest to thrill seekers in that crop. While, in what will be 6 years of Cedar Fair by 2012 the park will have received their 2 biggest, best, and priciest coasters. So, while the announcement might not have been exactly what people were expecting, at least it's a step in the right direction.

While a bit of a head scratcher at the similarities between Leviathan and Behemoth being installed back to back, what is more funny to me is another blatant example that Paul Rubens is full of crap and that his "expert opinion" can be bought. I'm curious what they had to give him in order for him to say this is the one ride he's most looking forward to next year, when you have two very unique rides opening at both Hershey and Dollywood. Really Paul, a B&M that is a bit taller than the hypercoaster across the park is the one that is your must ride over those other two? Maybe he doesn't think he'll fit into the restraints on the other two, so what he should have said was it's the ride he's most looking forward to that won't cause him to have a restraint non-closure walk of shame. How these parks think this guy's opinon gives any credence to their projects is baffling.

While I don't personally find Paul's comments that valid either, making pot shots about his weight and other childish comments isn't much better than those idiots who hate on TPR and post clueless comments like these.

This will be the only warning. Comments like these, which are obvious flame bait, will not be tolerated on this forum.

Lol I was about to get all defensive, then I noticed you weren't even talking about me! Back to the matter at hand, Can we please talk more about the ride (itself)? In terms of layout, speed, future designs. I think the whole "Leviathan is a new Behemoth" argument has been tired out. Finally, might I add that most of B&M's hyper design, while similar, are fitted to maximize space, not to bore you. Parks request this design (I'm speculating here) so they can eventually add new rides because of it's thin footprint, and because they know the design works and is reliable; kinda like why Batman and boomerang are cloned so much. Sticking to something familiar and adding 70' is a good move for B&M, as they're using a formula people like, they know works technically and financially (both initial and in the long run), and is obviously reliable. I think the problem here isn't about the ride not being original, its about the park having two similar coasters, both of which, I think are great.

Also, the price is not extremely high since both Millennium Force & Intimidator 305 costed $25 million and this only costs $28 million. I think the extra cost is because it has 6 large hills while Millennium Force and I305 both have 4.

You really can't compare the price of Millennium Force to Leviathan because the price of steel was a lot cheaper back in 2000 than it is today. If MF were built today it would cost a lot more than its original price over a decade ago.

It's funny that in biblical terms, the Behemoth is the Land Monster and Leviathan is the Sea Monster. Think of the creatures like the Yin Yang symbol. With Behemoth as the Yin and Leviathan as the Yang (or vice versa).

It really does sort of feel like Christmas morning when you wake up and there's that really big box under the tree with your name on it, and you rip it open because you've been waiting for that super-deluxe Hot Wheels set for, like, a million years, and finally, it's here, YOU KNOW IT IS!

And then it turns out to be a Hot Wheels set, but not that one with the two double-decker speed launchers, just the normal one, which is STILL REALLY COOL, but not that one you were hoping for.

And you want to be grateful, because you'd look like a total a-hole being sullen about it... but still...

Wow. I don't think you could have possibly summed up my feelings any better. Needless to say, I still really enjoyed playing with that Hot Wheels set and will probably be driving up to Canada this summer. (I just got my Enhanced License!)

I find it hard to believe that there are so many people here that are at least somewhat disappointed by the announcement. It's a freaking Giga coaster! How many parks have a Giga coaster? It's definitely not what I had expected CW to go for, but I'm definitely happy.

Also for the people who think Behemoth will die now because of this, I don't think that will happen.

Does anyone think that will happen? lol

First of all I still say the experiences look quite different and I could easily see how people would prefer Behemoth. Plus... now the park has 2 great coasters... if you're spending the whole day I'd imagine you'd ride both multiple times.

Exactly. Did Millenium Force become any less popular when the Dragster was built? No.

What I don't get is how people rant and rave about how good Behemoth is, yet people are complaining about this ride, which is essentially Behemoth on steroids.

The coaster was announced. The coaster is being built. Quit complaining. They could be getting nothing for years like MIA. The decision is questionable, sure, but quit complaining about it.

Wonder how the trains will be (if it's be mentioned, I'm stupid).

The first turnaround looks sick, such heavy banking. A bit similar to Behemoth, yeah, but they'll still compliment each other well. That's why Leviathan doesn't have as many hills for airtime, and instead with gforce.

Leviathan looks like it will be a good addition to the park. Although it is a similar ride to Behemoth, I doubt most people will care. Besides, Behemoth looks like it is a series of airtime hills, while Leviathan looks like it has a lot more low-to-the-ground high-speed sections with a few airtime hills thrown in. I doubt the rides will be nearly identical like some people are saying, and I also don't think one will kill the other. Would something different be better for Canada's Wonderland? Probably, but this isn't a bad addition either. I'm just excited to see that B&M is joining the Giga Coaster market and I can't wait to see if more of these appear in the next few years (Knott's could really use one if they don't get an Intamin Mega or Giga this year).

Also for the people who think Behemoth will die now because of this, I don't think that will happen.

Does anyone think that will happen? lol

First of all I still say the experiences look quite different and I could easily see how people would prefer Behemoth. Plus... now the park has 2 great coasters... if you're spending the whole day I'd imagine you'd ride both multiple times.

Exactly. Did Millenium Force become any less popular when the Dragster was built? No.

That's because they are two completely different rides...not the same as what we have here

What I don't get is how people rant and rave about how good Behemoth is, yet people are complaining about this ride, which is essentially Behemoth on steroids.

The coaster was announced. The coaster is being built. Quit complaining. They could be getting nothing for years like MIA. The decision is questionable, sure, but quit complaining about it.

If you read what is actually being posted, you would see that people aren't complaining about the ride itself. They are questioning the decision by the park. There is a big difference. I haven't seen one person post that this ride was going to be boring or really anything negative about it other than its similarities to Behemoth.

And seriously, the only really annoying thing in this thread today has been the people complaining about the "complainers". People have their opinion and are allowed to express it, that is what makes a good discussion.

I am just excited to see B&M finally go over 300ft.

Word.

That's what I'm talking about!

And for B&M fans to stop insisting B&M will 'never' go over 230 feet.

This is perhaps the best thing to come out of this ride being built!

Somehow someone is still gonna say that...or maybe not. People still have the "B&M will never build a launch coaster" tag line to blurt out.

Im ignoring the fact that its in a park with a similar coaster and rejoicing to the fact B&M took this step. It was said that they would never build a coaster of this height due to numerous reasons from the chain being to heavy, to the support structure couldn't hold to it just being too expensive but apparently those we all just lies or B&M's been busy profecting their infrastructure. Its apparent over the years the track has changed, while not drastic as in intamin and premier but in a way that we see the various thickness and withs. I've come to terms B&M and trims will forever go hand and hand lol but it looks like the first part of the ride til the first airtime hill will be no holds bar!

Who knows, maybe a launched coaster is in the works!

If you read what is actually being posted, you would see that people aren't complaining about the ride itself. They are questioning the decision by the park. There is a big difference. I haven't seen one person post that this ride was going to be boring or really anything negative about it other than its similarities to Behemoth.

+100000

As a resident of Michigan, I agree completely.

In my opinion, parks like MIA or CGA don't have the attendance for something of this magnitude. In reality, Canada's Wonderland got what it deserves. It may be similar to Behemoth, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Not in my opinion. I obviously have not rode it yet, so can't say for sure, but I think this will differ from Behemoth enough in terms of ride experience.

Ignoring the Behemoth-ness of this, what does everyone think about the ride itself?

Seriously, there is more bitching about people complaining than there is actual discussion about the ride itself. Can I just politely ask that if you're not going to discuss the actual ride, please just STFU? Thank you!

In my opinion, parks like MIA or CGA don't have the attendance for something of this magnitude. In reality, Canada's Wonderland got what it deserves. It may be similar to Behemoth, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Not in my opinion. I obviously have not rode it yet, so can't say for sure, but I think this will differ from Behemoth enough in terms of ride experience.

Ignoring the Behemoth-ness of this, what does everyone think about the ride itself?

Ok so KD should take a step backwards & add a B&M hyper....of course I want a B&M invert for the park as their next coaster.

As far as this ride goes it's about time to see B&M do something they swore they'd never attempt...funny how they're going back to their old style trains for this one though but after my two rides on Intimidator at carowinds I can say that I don't care much for their new style trains.

Whether MIA deserves one or not has nothing to do with my desire for them to get one, regardless of the unlikelihood.

As for the ride itself, I think it looks like a riot, but I am definitely not bored with B&M hyper coasters (perhaps because I've only ridden two? Most likely). I do really want to know how long the ascent to the top is going to take, could be pretty crazy.