TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Just curious, but what is the best plan for hitting the rides at Canada's Wonderland? I'm going next Tuesday and have heard to expect large waits during the middle of the day. I am probably getting there at 10:00-10:30.

So, if I get there at opening, what is the best order to do the park in? While I want to do Behemoth first, I have a feeling that everyone heads there first and that it has a high capacity. I'm thinking of hitting Flight Deck, Time Warp, Dragon Fire, Bat, Fly, Thunder Run, Vortex in that order. Is that a good plan to avoid long waits? Also, do lines die down by the end of the day so that several coasters are essentially walk-ons?

For the most part, that's a pretty good plan. The best coasters to start off with are definitely Flight Deck, Time Warp, The Bat, Fly, Thunder Run, SkyRider, and Back Lot Stunt Coaster. These usually get real long lines real quick. Out of all of them Flight Deck and Time Warp are probably the best to tackle first. Behemoth and Dragon Fyre have very high capacities so the waits aren't usually that long, even though it might look as if they are. The Bat (having only one train) has a very low capacity, as well as The Fly and Thunder Run. I wouldn't be too worried about Vortex, it says that the wait is 60 minutes with the queues full but I found that it was much shorter than that, though it's been a while since I've been on And SkyRider is among one of the worst capacity rides in the park, it says that it's a 60 minute wait from the front, but I'd think that it's more like 2-2 1/2 hours with how slow loading is.

Behemoth, Minebuster and Wilde Beast all have great to so-so capacities, so you should probably do those later on. By the evening lines do start dieing down, for example yesterday at around 8:30 PM Behemoth was around a 10 minute wait, and Drop Tower was a walk on. As it gets later the existence of lines is very miminal- though with the crowds getting heavier each week, it might be different by next week, hopefully not though

That's one of the things I love about Vortex. The entire queue could be filled but it's such a quick ride and they manage to load people on quickly too, so it takes perhaps much less time then what the signs post. I always always take the extra time to sit in the first car.

If Skyrider's line is outside of the station, you're probably in for a decent wait.

I've always found the station itself can be about 30 minutes.

Gonna have to check the timer on my shockwave video footage from inside the station to see how long the wait time is because with a line just out of the station for the middle of the train it wasn't too long & that was on a weekend.If only they could reconfigure the trains on togo stand ups to be less complex then it wouldn't take as long to load.

Thanks. I figured Skyrider would have slow loading much like its cousin at Kings Dominion. Fortunately, Shockwave was only a 15 minute wait while I was there. However, I don't mind waiting 45 minutes or so if necessary for this coaster since I actually enjoyed Shockwave. While it had weird restraints, I actually found it to be a really powerful coaster with some fun air-time.

Thanks. I figured Skyrider would have slow loading much like its cousin at Kings Dominion. Fortunately, Shockwave was only a 15 minute wait while I was there. However, I don't mind waiting 45 minutes or so if necessary for this coaster since I actually enjoyed Shockwave. While it had weird restraints, I actually found it to be a really powerful coaster with some fun air-time.

I can't stand the supports for Sky Rider. Those bars that surround your head can tighten as you are on the ride. I hear often of people holding those bars while on the ride, and inadvertantly push them in tighter to the point that they are squeezing against your cheeks.

I can't stand the supports for Sky Rider. Those bars that surround your head can tighten as you are on the ride. I hear often of people holding those bars while on the ride, and inadvertantly push them in tighter to the point that they are squeezing against your cheeks.

That describes exactly my first ride on it when I was 12. Hugged the bars, they slammed in on my head on the way down the 1st drop. Had one wicked headache by the time the ride ended.

Now when I ride I pull out on the bars as I ride.

^Paul, sounds about right, and especially through that helix haha

I may be totally imagining things, but is the layout of Shockwave at KD a bit different? It's not quite mirrored but some elements are on the other side as compared to Sky Rider? Love the ride through the forest and still really like these rides in general. The 15 minute wait for Shockwave was such a welcome as the Sky Rider is usually a good 45 or more.

A couple of points to add to this discussion:

Skyrider opens at 11, so don't go there first.

Everyone slams Flight Deck at flag drop. Heading to The Bat, The Fly and Wild Beast first is the best plan. Thunder Run and Vortex lines move pretty quick even when they're filled up. Flight Deck usually eases up around lunch time, and then later at night. Behemoth pounds guests through, so even when the queue is full (not the overflow ropes) you'll only wait 35-40 mins. You can pretty much hit it any time. Backlot goes really slowly as well.

As for flats, Riptide and Shockwave shouldn't be a problem. Sledgehammer will move faster than Psyclone. Jet Scream is usually a walk on.

Have a great day! And after you've been, let us know your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Future Expansion - Rumor - (8/4/10) According to the latest rumor, Canada’s Wonderland could be getting something very special in 2011. I know we’ve heard about survey markers appearing here and there all season, but if the rumors are true the park may be looking at getting a new GCI Wooden coaster. Can anyone else confirm this?

http://www.screamscape.com/html/canada_s_wonderland.htm

• 2 weeks later...
I know everyone is shooting Cedar Point, but with this clue I might think Stratosoar could go here instead.

And I'd be fine with that. It would round out Wonderland's already stellar flat ride collection.

Of course, I am still hoping for a record breaking Intamin woodie. Not holding my breath on that though.