TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Well since it's only 75 degrees now instead of 85 degrees doesn't that mean the train should be running a bit slower and they won't need to use those trims!?

On a more serious note...125km/h hardly seems impressive to me anymore. My Eclipse will do that in 4th gear. haha.

On a seriously serious note, I'm still excited about this thing. It looks pretty promising and I can't wait to try out those funky new trains. Wonderland could finally have a real winner with this thing if it turns out well.

^

LOL!

This thing is going to be a good coaster no matter what. What B&M isnt good? They might not all be great but they are all good!

Iron Wolf, Mantis, etc...

Subtract Mantis. Ride in the front and make sure your balls are in the right place and you'll enjoy an intensely smooth ride.

I'd agree with kraken in saying that they might not all be great, but I've ever gotten off a B&M and thought "Wow that was bad".

^

LOL!

This thing is going to be a good coaster no matter what. What B&M isnt good? They might not all be great but they are all good!

Iron Wolf, Mantis, etc...

Both stand ups. Stand ups are an uncomfortable fad.

You really don't see any bad sit down B&Ms. Some are better then others obviously, but even an average B&M is going to be better then most of the competition.

The drop angle isn't going to make the speed slower. The speed is based on drop height.

Well actually I believe that the drop angle does effect the speed, too. (Along with the drop hight) A steeper angle builds more speed. It's like the misconception that more weight equals more speed when dropped even though technically with no air resistance all matter would fall at the same speed.

Speed relies much more on vertical movement than horizontal movement (if HS honors physics serves me correctly). W/o friction, an object would reach the same speed falling 200 feet at a 90 degree angle and a 30 degree angle since it travels the same distance vertically--it would just take much longer to get to the top speed (because of the horizontal distance). But anyway...

Sadly, I can't see a Canada trip in my future soon, but I really like the look of this ride. I'm hoping for a similar ride at KI in 09. And trains look good to me. Not being set 4 across seems like it will provide a much more open/free/out-of-control experience.

I may be wrong, but as far as I know vertical movement is the only thing that effects speed, in theory. But when it comes to a not so controlled environment there are certain factors that can come into play. A heavier train (a full one compared to an empty one) does create more positive momentum.

So a full train keeps speed longer than an empty one.

I may be wrong, but as far as I know vertical movement is the only thing that effects speed, in theory. But when it comes to a not so controlled environment there are certain factors that can come into play. A heavier train (a full one compared to an empty one) does create more positive momentum.

So a full train keeps speed longer than an empty one.

But since the trains are longer, isn't there more friction, making the trains slower than a regular B&M train?

They don't necessarily have more friction, but they will most likely have more air resistance which would slow the train more than an equal weight smaller area train. I suspect that these trains actually weigh more than a standard train so the increased air resistance will probably be balanced out by their increased momentum.

Well actually I believe that the drop angle does effect the speed, too. (Along with the drop hight) A steeper angle builds more speed. It's like the misconception that more weight equals more speed when dropped even though technically with no air resistance all matter would fall at the same speed.

The drop angle affects acceleration, not speed. The train will be going the same at the bottom of the drop whether the drop is 75 or 85 degrees. It just would get up to speed a bit quicker if the drop was 85.

Well now I'm completely confused. I did research for a science project and it stated that more weight doesn't effect speed (if there are no other variable conditions) but rather the degree of the fall effects acceleration/total speed more directly. And my project was on how weight effects roller coasters.

What mark did you get?

But I guess it depends on how you were using "speed". With pyhsics there's many different ways to talk about acceleration/velocity/etc.

If you're talking top speed, that number should be the same or close to no matter what the angle.

If you talk in terms of average velocity, then it would be higher the steeper the drop. But a train shouldn't reach a higher top speed with a steeper drop.

Though I did get a 27 in physics.

^^If you're talking about realistic conditions on a coaster, then weight will have an effect on the speed, and the angle will have a negligibly small effect on the speed.

The more weight a train has, the more momentum it carries, so it will push through air easier than it would if it were lighter. Technically, angle does matter, because a less steep drop is going to require more track to travel the desired vertical distance. More track is going to increase the total friction between the train and the track. However, the loss of speed from the increased friction on one drop is going to be very negligible, so it doesn't really matter much at all.

On the flip side though, in a frictionless world, neither the weight or the angle is going to make a difference.

^^ That's exactly what I was thinking. The longer you're traveling the more friction you're encountering, and then the slower you would go.

It was all a VERY sarcastic comment anyway meant to poke fun at the the whole angle and trims debates that started this whole thing. You're not going to notice on that first drop if you're going 75 or 85 degrees, so in no way does it matter. And no one knows the extent to which the trims are going to be used yet, so let's save that one for when previews start too.