TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

I love when people talk shit about dive coasters because it gives me the opportunity to tell them that if a massive roller coaster with a ridiculous 250 foot tall vertical drop going 80-some mph into multiple inversions, tunnels etc etc is boring/dull? Then you probably need to just find a new hobby. Shut it down, its all over for ya.

This actually bugs me about this coaster. In standard B&M form, besides the initial tunnel, they ignore everything around what they're building and just "plop" the thing on top of everything. That spot after the first dive loop is a perfect example of "Welp, we'll just build OVER it!" I'd prefer if B&M would incorporate the existing rides around what they're building and adapt the coasters' circuit to them. It would make their rides seem SO much less cookie cutter, and arguably, this one comes off just like the latter

Criticism is "OK" if you are actually critiquing and making sense! You are saying here that the first drop which goes THROUGH the turn of another coaster WHILE that coaster is actually in operation is "cookie cutter". They actually have adapted Yukon Striker to go through the course of Vortex in a pretty nifty way...and you say that you would like B and M to incorporate existing rides into the circuit. Well they have here...so what are you complaining about?

I said earlier...you could technically say that CW has a "duelling" element now...any train on the drop of YS and any train on the turn of Vortex will be in close proximity to each other. That seems OK to me.

As others have said....criticising the ride now before riding it is rather "odd". Criticising the layout for being "cookie cutter" is, dare I say, just wrong!

I love when people talk shit about dive coasters because it gives me the opportunity to tell them that if a massive roller coaster with a ridiculous 250 foot tall vertical drop going 80-some mph into multiple inversions, tunnels etc etc is boring/dull? Then you probably need to just find a new hobby. Shut it down, its all over for ya.

So true. Understandable that some people can become jaded. I hope it doesn't spread easily! When driving up to the park and seeing that skyline, it's easy to remember why we love this stuff.

This actually bugs me about this coaster. In standard B&M form, besides the initial tunnel, they ignore everything around what they're building and just "plop" the thing on top of everything.

Yukon Striker is a custom design, the furthest from cookie cutter for the very reasons you mention. Its use of the terrain on the side with the second Immelmann, tunnel and vertical loop is definitely different. The pathway beside that section, near the Splash Works entrance, was still under construction so we couldn't get closer. The spiral with the viewing area worked really well. It was definitely the most popular viewing spot.

I love how dive coasters work so well for parks, being one of the coolest looking rides to watch for the non coaster rider (viewing/ F&B areas built around splash downs and now spiral elements), and one of the coolest to ride for the the coaster rider.

Also, keep in mind that they built an entirely new themed area that this coaster belongs to. Both the ride and area are well themed. Some great details all over.

If you love dive coasters, you'll love this one. I've been on six, including Yukon Striker, and it's the most unique. Best themed I hear goes to Baron 1898, although Krake is up there as well.

It looks slow in some areas, but more circuits and warm weather will help with that. I don't think I've ever seen MCBR catwalks shake like it did at the end.

It was definitely cold in the morning and cool throughout the day. The station wheel heaters were on all day. I can't wait to try it again in the summer. It snowed during Leviathan's opening day and the last turn into the break run didn't seem like it would happen every time haha

The shake/ wobble is there on the mid course. It's the only place I noticed it unlike Valravn where it felt wobbly/ shaky throughout the entire ride, in particular the lift. Adds to the thrill I guess?

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

This 1000%.

I rode Sheikra back in 2006 and that was my first Dive Coaster. I was blown away and ended up riding it 6 times that day. I came off each time smiling from ear to ear. In 2009 I rode Griffon for the first time. Again, blown away. Yes, the layout of the ride is a bit short, but I came off grinning like a little kid. When Cedar Point announced Valravn, I was ecstatic. Finally I get a Dive Machine nearby. And while most will argue with me, I actually enjoy Valravn more than Steel Vengeance. I can ride it numerous times without feeling sore, and like the previous two, I've got a huge smile plastered across my face after the train hits the brake run. These rides are smooth, thrilling, and just plain fun.

Unfortunately this year has seen the end of my coaster riding... so I will be unable to try Yukon Striker. But I do know one thing- if I did have a chance to ride, I guarantee I'd be as happy as a little girl when I got off.

Even if Yukon Striker goes through the inversions slowly, who cares? That would be pulling g's of -1! That's only .3 g's more than El Toro's "minimum" (according to that El Toro graph from the ride force app)!

I thought the slow inversions were the best parts of Valravn! The drops are fun and all, but I like that these newer dive machines are expanding their elements beyond immelmanns and actually feature "complete" layouts. They feel less like one-trick ponies.

I went to Passholder preview day yesterday. It was a bit chilly and damp, but it did not stop die hard wonderland fans from showing up.

IMG_5112.thumb.jpg.e9e6431a039c7eeac29e781991f743f5.jpg

I think people realize that the rides have all been sitting for 6 months outside in the winter elements, and don't seem to mind that coasters and rides need a bit of a break in to get running reliably. Passholders seem grateful that they get invited to a preview, and are excited just to be back at the park. The park was well staffed, and everyone i saw was friendly and seemed excited to be there.

It was a funny canadian thing that just before dropping the rope where i was, the security guard asked people please not to run, and they complied and behaved themselves....

I went to get an early ride on Leviathan, hoping that people would all be waiting for yukon, which proved to be true with abut 2 trains of people waiting, but they were still sending water dummies around. Instead i went on Wilde Beast. They Have put some new track in, but it is still bumpy in parts. It flew around the track with the wet rails. If you can't tolerate bumpy wooden coasters, don't ride it, but i had fun. The ride ops were inviting people to reride if their seats were available, so i did it twice. I got a ride in on NIghtmares and then Leviathan was opened. Got a great back row ride. Maybe it was wheel heaters, or the 'snow tires', but the ride ran great, and booked it around the cold track.

I got an almost walk on ride on Vortexx before passing by the new ride. It did not start testing until around 6:30 and started taking passengers close to 7pm. Thousands of keeners eagerly waited in the damp cold for a chance to ride on the first public day. The lineup filled the station queues, spilled through the plaza, across the bridge, up the hill, past the diner, past windseeker, past the games and to the carousell. Good on them, but I will wait a few weeks and come back on a quiet day.

IMG_5119.thumb.jpg.70d6e4031fb6f7575721fd41d83483e3.jpg

IMG_5120.thumb.jpg.4020d1e84b5f5cb3cf5e980e063914f4.jpg

IMG_5122.thumb.jpg.b9eac76fff6226be66706f5445a85a98.jpg

The station building is really nice, themed to the Striker mining company. It also has a plaza nearby where you can stand under the final helix and watch the trains come overhead. The track interracts with the walking paths, and offers great views of the coaster.

IMG_5127.thumb.jpg.f8462a4046ddda972b6d8c67047415cb.jpg

This is the second train to depart. They seemed to be taking a long time to dispatch trains. it felt like 10 minutes, but looking at the times on some pictures it was closer to 7 min. There were lots of staff to talk to people in the line, and pass out new park maps. They said that if people were in line, they would stay open until they all got to ride. At that rate, they would be there the next morning so i don't know how it worked out. Good luck!

IMG_5129.thumb.jpg.8e1ecbd6934b897eb8099157a88dc0ae.jpg

IMG_5130.thumb.jpg.2b740d48a95ec6dee6ac4abd48d0e9d6.jpg

IMG_5131.thumb.jpg.95681bafd485969c2af22c6e92e89d1d.jpg

IMG_5132.thumb.jpg.1cb685a6ecdc5d0a4dc8cf4c60fab38a.jpg

IMG_5136.thumb.jpg.112d4d969b726b745bfda80a5e4f5341.jpg

IMG_5137.thumb.jpg.c0ab55276197915200cfe3c52c5177d0.jpg

IMG_5138.thumb.jpg.2ade865d39301e1a40afbfd78d46a731.jpg

rip orbiter

IMG_5139.thumb.jpg.af6749d336c731b48f802393cc17fc28.jpg

That pic of the Orbiter site is actually a lot larger than what I was guessing from the satellite map. It looks like it can either hold another flat, but I'd also be down for a full sit down restaraunt.

It is quite a large site. When I attended the first rider event as a guest on Wednesday, I was surprised to see how the new path was placed. I thought they would have directed it more towards Sledge Hammer, but they clearly have future plans for the plot of land. I could see a new smaller thrilling flat ride occupy the land that is left over sometime in the future, but I don't know what it could be since we have quite an extensive flat ride collection at the park. I will admit that it is was eerily quiet when I passed through Action Zone yesterday. I miss Orbiter, but it had a great 37 years of operation at the park.

In addition to Doppel Looping's wonderful photos of Yukon Striker from Season Pass Sneak Preview Night, I thought I would share some photos I had taken of other new (or reintroduced) things within the Medieval Faire section.

IMG_3122.thumb.JPG.5c3f476cb2cde6af5fd051f43cd36d91.JPGHere's the new sign for the Canterbury Theatre within Medieval Faire, a name which the performing venue had from 1981 through 1993.

IMG_3124.thumb.JPG.145e37f7ac33a81ba9eb0acffb38b522.JPG The Rage reverted back to its original name, which it had from 1981 through 1996. The new sign looks awesome and suits the ride well!

IMG_3125.thumb.JPG.8f04bd0fa638ff33014a3d4e729046d4.JPG Nightmares is once again known as Wilde Knight Mares, giving it a Medieval feel like it did from 1981 through 1996. This new sign also incorporates the colours of the ride and the surrounding structures.

IMG_3128.thumb.JPG.8aa17f2fb9049ed1b2db2746f3e874ed.JPG The new Wilde Beast sign (with the original pseudo spelling that it had from 1981-1996) looks awesome in person as it has a rustic, medieval type wooden look to it.

IMG_3126.thumb.JPG.6437dc016b200897e15febd55bc7841b.JPG Thrill Burger was renamed Kings Feast this year to better fit in with the theming of the Medieval Faire section of the park.

It is of note that while Dragon Fire's name has returned back to its original spelling of "Dragon Fyre", the old sign that has been used since 1997 is still in place as of Season Pass Sneak Preview Night. I assume the new sign will appear within the following weeks to reflect the name change.

My son and I also went to the season pass preview night on Friday. To say this Toronto winter has been "long" is an understatement. The weather yesterday was rain for most of the day and strong winds from the north (which means COLD). Having said that, this didn't dampen the enthusiasm for the season pass holders, and if this was an indicator for the upcoming months, Wonderland will be looking at excellent attendance numbers!

We arrived at 535pm and went straight to Yukon Striker, and as expected, the line was already pretty long. We were told straightaway that the weather was causing delays (understandable as the wing was very strong), but they were going to start testing the ride using water dummies. They started this about 6pm, and when the first train went out there was a massive cheer, and when it did the "hang, drop" into the tunnel there was also a huge round of applause.

The testing went on for probably another 20 minutes or so before they announced that they would start operations (again the reaction was very enthusiastic...for all the worry earlier in the thread about this ride not having much "enthusiasm"...I can guarantee that the public this evening were VERY excited and very happy.)

They allowed us into the ride "queues" and it was at this point that I realised how LONG the line was. We probably waited for about an hour and a half from the end of testing till getting to the front. Part of the delay was the ride operations were understandably slow to begin with (have to get used to all the new operations and loading and unloading the public). They realised the line had built up, so they added another train (to make 3 on the course) about 45 mins in. This again lead to a massive cheer in the line, and once this had been added...the line moved pretty quickly.

The ride itself, my personal opinion is that it was brilliant, fun and really adds a different element to the parks lineup. I can understand a dive coaster not being to everyones taste, I can understand if it isn't your cup of tea, but from a pure adrenaline and "fun" perspective.....I don't see how you could say this wasn't a good coaster. The "hangtime" at the top of the 245 drop (I mean...isn't 245 feet good enough for some people!?) was 3 seconds. We were counting it in line so we could be ready. The view over the park (especially over Wonder Mountain and Vortex) was great....and the drop is exhilarating. I really tried to take the turn of Vortex into account as it is so unique but I found that I was in the tunnel and into the first inversion before I could really draw breath. All the elements are a lot of fun (the loop is super smooth) and even the bunny hop after the mid course break run had everyone smiling (they put the camera for the photograph here) and the spiral leading back into the station is an element that gives you a chance to take stock of everyone on the ground and pretty much admire what you have just done.

Canada's Wonderland definitely has a winner here........it had both me and my son smiling from ear to ear afterwards (he was super hyped after going on it....the ride attendant told a white lie to get him to strap in...telling him it was a 100ft drop...he was a bit nervous before hand....I shook him by the hand afterwards as he understood exactly what was going on....kudos to the excellent ride op staff).

I do enjoy Theme park review and fully understand that there are going to be different opinions on rides. I also understand everyone has different tastes and what works for some might not work for others, however,from a purely "business" perspective here....I think Wonderland has once again given themself a major boost in adding a ride that has provoked interest, gathered media attention and has even the non roller coaster fans talking (I got tagged SO many times on my FB asking if I was going to ride this thing). That in itself is all a park can ask for.....but the fact that the ride itself delivers on the thrills they were promising means that this will be a major success. All the "dive coasters are shit" talk won't make one difference on the parks bottom line this year, and given the amount of people out this evening....I don't think there were too many of them in line!

We wanted to ride Behemoth afterwards, but as that was so close to Yukon striker, the line was pretty long, so instead we walked over to Vortex for a "walk on", and also to take in YS from the other ride. By this time it was dark and it was my first time on Vortex at night. Very different!!!!! Unfortunately we missed the train from Yukon Striker as we went round our turn, and had to make do with a normal fun ride instead.

Leviathan had a very short line, so we finished the night with one quick circuit, and again being my first night ride, I noticed the eyes of the Leviathan on the tunnel actually lit up (which is something you won't see in the day obviously). Nice surprise. Blooming freezing on the rest of the ride.......but still...that first drop and the speed carried from it is something else!!

My phone decided to **** up of course...so I don't have any pictures. Both John Lloyd and Doppel Looping have done a good job of showing the upgrades, and the photos from media day of Yukon striker do justice to the ride, and also show the scale of the build and the track/trains.

I can only add my kudos to my fellow TPR board members, and thankyou for posting the updates and great photos.

This enthusiast gives the ride a thumbs up. Do as your admins say and get a Passport....come up to Canada (when it is warm....it wasn't pretty last night) and enjoy a day at a park that is definitely WAY better than the dark days of Paramount that has given the coaster loving public a ride to be proud of. Kudos.

Good stuff! I will likely be there next Sunday. I bought a fast lane plus in advance during the winter (one without a date attached to it) in case I have the urge to ride over and over, but I'll likely save it for a busier day. But who knows 8)

There is the 1 hour pass holder ERT on Sundays which I feel not many know about whenever we go. Yukon Striker is included on May 5.

I just watched a POV of Vortex at Canada's Wonderland which I don't think I've ever seen before and WOW!

Is this perhaps the best still operating Arrow Suspended that exists? After that first drop the ride never gives up, swinging all over the place and keeping pace the entire ride! Dare I say, better than Ninja at Magic Mountain? Man that thing really seems to haul, and I'm glad Canada's Wonderland has been able to keep such an intense Arrow Suspended still operating. Props to the park, that ride looks awesome!

I just watched a POV of Vortex at Canada's Wonderland which I don't think I've ever seen before and WOW!

Is this perhaps the best still operating Arrow Suspended that exists? After that first drop the ride never gives up, swinging all over the place and keeping pace the entire ride! Dare I say, better than Ninja at Magic Mountain? Man that thing really seems to haul, and I'm glad Canada's Wonderland has been able to keep such an intense Arrow Suspended still operating. Props to the park, that ride looks awesome!

Having rode Vortex many times over the years, it is quite forceful and amazing! My favourite place to ride on it is in the back seat as it just pulls you from start to finish. It always draws a line due to its swinging motion and forces that it produces. It never disappoints!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's a clone of Kings Islands "Bat*, except much cooler because there is a mountain :-P

It really is a great, underrated ride, though. I always make a point to get on it, so much fun.

Well, I would say The Bat at Kings Island is a clone of Vortex at Canada's Wonderland since Vortex opened in 1991, two years before The Bat (Top Gun/Flight Deck) had. I've been on both, and I always prefer Vortex due to its location and its overall smoothness and speed. While nearly identical, The Bat at Kings Island seemed a tad slower and slightly uncomfortable when I rode it in 2014 and 2016. It was still quite fun, but not nearly as fun or intense as Vortex. We're quite lucky to have it!

On a side note, I rode Vortex last night during Season Pass Sneak Preview Night and it seemed even more so intense than usual due to the amazing and new Yukon Striker interacting with it. There is at least one section where the cars swing quite close to Yukon Striker's supports!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's a clone of Kings Islands "Bat*

Wow! You are right! Although the supports are vastly different, the track spine joints are literally all in the same spots throughout the entire ride. Can't believe I didn't pick up on that before. I feel like part of the GP sucker crew now lol.

However, Vortex when compared to Bat side by side with numerous POV's, seems way more intense and faster than Bat. Maybe it's just the surroundings, or maybe there are different train sway patterns based on how Canada's Wonderland lets those shock absorbers operate on the train. Because when you put them next to each other the ride time off the chain lift to the brake run is pretty negligible, but maybe that sway and just *slight* couple seconds of time cut on Vortex makes all the difference.

Having rode Vortex many times over the years, it is quite forceful and amazing! My favourite place to ride on it is in the back seat as it just pulls you from start to finish. It always draws a line due to its swinging motion and forces that it produces. It never disappoints!

Well, I would say The Bat at Kings Island is a clone of Vortex at Canada's Wonderland since Vortex opened in 1991, two years before The Bat (Top Gun/Flight Deck) had. I've been on both, and I always prefer Vortex due to its location and its overall smoothness and speed. While nearly identical, The Bat at Kings Island seemed a tad slower and slightly uncomfortable when I rode it in 2014 and 2016. It was still quite fun, but not nearly as fun or intense as Vortex. We're quite lucky to have it!

I would agree with you quite a bit anonymouscactus. While Bat was definitely worthy of a re-ride, (not better than Ninja, just falls a bit short of it) I feel like Vortex might actually be one of the best Arrow Suspendeds out there with how intense numerous POV's appear to be.

Learning these types of things is a BIG part of why being a coaster enthusiast is so fun.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's a clone of Kings Islands "Bat*

Wow! You are right! Although the supports are vastly different, the track spine joints are literally all in the same spots throughout the entire ride. Can't believe I didn't pick up on that before. I feel like part of the GP sucker crew now lol.

However, Vortex when compared to Bat side by side with numerous POV's, seems way more intense and faster than Bat. Maybe it's just the surroundings, or maybe there are different train sway patterns based on how Canada's Wonderland lets those shock absorbers operate on the train. Because when you put them next to each other the ride time off the chain lift to the brake run is pretty negligible, but maybe that sway and just *slight* couple seconds of time cut on Vortex makes all the difference.

I would agree with you quite a bit anonymouscactus. While Bat was definitely worthy of a re-ride, (not better than Ninja, just falls a bit short of it) I feel like Vortex might actually be one of the best Arrow Suspendeds out there with how intense numerous POV's appear to be.

Learning these types of things is a BIG part of why being a coaster enthusiast is so fun.

Bat also runs with one extra car, which I suppose must be the reason it's not tied for fastest suspended like Vortex is (with SFMM's Ninja). Must slow it down slightly.

Personally, I liked Bat a bit better as a I liked swinging through the woods and its little valley back along the queue area KI has back there. Vortex is obviously great (and is probably better now with YS) but going over a flat lake didn't quite do as much for me.

It's odd that Bat is the clone, seeing as Bat seems much more custom-designed for KI's topography than Vortex is for CW.

Vortex's lift hill is built on a mountain, how is that topography not appropriate? It's helix is also around a island in the middle of the pond.

Looking at the KI version on Google maps just looks like they plopped it on a piece of flat land with a lot of tree's.... ho hum.

The new Yukon Striker bin system at work

Looks impressive. But let's hope nothing causes it/them to suddenly stop and get 'stuck'.

That would probably cause a small riot in that part of the station.

Vortex's lift hill is built on a mountain, how is that topography not appropriate? It's helix is also around a island in the middle of the pond.

Looking at the KI version on Google maps just looks like they plopped it on a piece of flat land with a lot of tree's.... ho hum.

I get what you're saying with the mountain so that's a fair point, but KI's spot for Bat is nowhere at all near flat.