TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Apparently Wonderland is handing out tickets to hopefully stop line jumping. They hand them out in chronological order and collect them as people enter the station. If the numbers fall out of sequence they know there are jumpers and can deal with it. Hopefully it works and other parks can start using this. Wonderland has a problem with line jumpers on a lot of their rides and its mostly families who send 1 or 2 in line then the rest of the family join them after they have waited for awhile.

Interesting experiment.

I have an 11 hour layover in Toronto coming up, and I'm looking to get back to CW to ride Leviathan (new since I last went). Are there any reliable / convenient / cheapish ways to get to the park and back to the airport via public transportation? I'm thinking my best bet at this point is to just rent a car for the day. Thanks in advance!

I have an 11 hour layover in Toronto coming up, and I'm looking to get back to CW to ride Leviathan (new since I last went). Are there any reliable / convenient / cheapish ways to get to the park and back to the airport via public transportation? I'm thinking my best bet at this point is to just rent a car for the day. Thanks in advance!

Public transport from airport to wonderland not great. It would take all day. It is about a 30 min drive in good traffic. Avoid hwy 401/400 in rush hr. take 27 north and rutherford/ major mackenzie over.

That is a great idea! I always wonder why parks just don't create lines that you can not enter from anywhere but the main entrance/line skipper entrance to it. The 'normal' metal lines allow you to jump over them, through them, and does not stop people from sitting/climbing on them. I love the parks that have gardens/bush's around the lines but this does not stop people from walking over it - have seen this at many parks.

This does make me about the Fast Lane though... sometimes its a separate entrance from the main line. How do they get the ticket numbers in order that way?

It's not just people hopping into the queue from outside the railing. There isn't a single day in Wonderland (probably most parks) where people enter the queue and push through saying "excuse me" to reach a buddy or family member already in it. Some people will confront them but from my experience that is rare nothing really changes anyway.

Hmmmm .. . .not as customized for Wonderland as we thought, eh?

If you have been on Valravn, then you have been on Yukon Striker.

It is nice to think that they added the camel back and final spiral turn as a tribute to SkyRider,

but Valravn has a camel back too, in the exact same spot as Yukon Striker.

I'm impressed you could make that determination from watching one youtube video. The added height, different setting, different layout, and the unknown factor of how much speed the train will take the elements shouldn't matter at all. Yukon Striker might as well be named "Batman: The Dive Coaster."

It is nice to think that they added the camel back and final spiral turn as a tribute to SkyRider,

UsoLRZ

Btw they said in an interview that the elements were not inspired by skyrider.

Valravn and Yukon Striker are more different than SkeiKra and Griffon are compared to each other.

Public transport from airport to wonderland not great. It would take all day. It is about a 30 min drive in good traffic. Avoid hwy 401/400 in rush hr. take 27 north and rutherford/ major mackenzie over.

According to Google Maps it takes 1h from Pearson Terminal 1 to Canada’s Wonderland. A Go Bus, and then Viva bus to Wonderland.

I mean, a lot of coasters share close ride times. but to say if you've been on one, you've been on the other is a serious stretch.

According to Google Maps it takes 1h from Pearson Terminal 1 to Canada’s Wonderland. A Go Bus, and then Viva bus to Wonderland.

Public transport from airport to wonderland not great

Toronto is not a great city for public transit (which is a real shame!). Getting from the airport to Wonderland would not be straightforward by taking the bus, GO and VIVA are two different regions, so separate tickets would be required, and 1 hour is being generous IF the traffic is OK and they aren't stopping the whole time. With a layover putting you on a timeframe, it would be a bit too much clock watching!

Car rental would only be worth it if it was cheap (which from the airport would be unlikely).

The one option that might be worth it is UBER as they are now allowed to pick up from YYZ, and of course given that they follow GPS would take you the route that avoids the worst of the traffic.

11 hours will give you "some" flexibility, but unfortunately Toronto got a bit stuck in the 70s when it came to expanding public transit infrastructure. You would think that Canada's Wonderland would be well connected given how popular it is, but unfortunately that would make too much sense!

The similarities also support the rumor that we were getting Valravn was Wonderland's coaster for 2016 (which is why skyrider was removed) but the company moved their cap ex around.

No, they really don't.

Agree with Afterburner, there is no basis for this conclusion.

I had made another visit to the park today. Here are some Yukon Striker photos that I had captured. The construction of Yukon Striker is coming along quite nicely.

IMG_2811.JPG Here is a view of what will be the station platform, as seen from the Mighty Canadian Minebuster entrance.

IMG_2812.JPG Here is another look at the curved drop out right out of the station.

IMG_2813.JPG This is another view of the station platform in its current state as seen from the path near Windseeker in Action Zone.

IMG_2816.JPG Construction crews were busy at work today piecing Yukon Striker together, even in all the heat and humidity. They are doing a wonderful job!

Cedar Fair has confirmed that a Hyatt House/Hyatt Place will be built for the 2020 season. Plans and permits turned up in April, but it is nice to see they have approvals in place.

Cedar Fair to Open New Hotel at Canada's Wonderland near Toronto

PR Newswire•August 27, 2018

203-room dual-branded Hyatt Place and Hyatt House hotel expected to open in 2020, providing first class accommodations to park guests, business and tourism visitors

SANDUSKY, Ohio, Aug. 27, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (FUN), a leader in regional amusement parks, water parks and immersive entertainment, has signed a pair of hotel services agreements with a Hyatt affiliate for a dual-branded Hyatt Place and Hyatt House hotel on the site of its Canada's Wonderland amusement park near Toronto in Vaughan, Ontario. The dual-branded hotel will offer 203 rooms – both spacious guestrooms and apartment-style suites – in a high-tech contemporary environment. Construction is expected to begin in the first half of 2019, with an opening date planned for late 2020.

The dual-branded Hyatt House and Hyatt Place Vaughan at Canada's Wonderland will feature accommodations attractive to park guests as well as business and tourism visitors in a contemporary setting.

The dual-branded Hyatt House and Hyatt Place Vaughan at Canada's Wonderland will feature accommodations attractive to park guests as well as business and tourism visitors in a contemporary setting.

Cedar Fair president and CEO Richard Zimmerman said, "The new dual-branded Hyatt Place and Hyatt House hotel will continue Cedar Fair's significant investment in Canada's Wonderland, one of the portfolio's largest and most successful parks. We expect strong attendance growth there, driven by the introduction of a new record-breaking roller coaster, Yukon Striker, and addition of an immersive holiday event, WinterFest, both launching in 2019. This development will mark the next evolution in the park's diverse offerings, providing park guests, business travelers and tourists with convenient accommodations in a growing area. The Hyatt Place and Hyatt House are respected brands worldwide and we look forward to working with the Hyatt team to ensure exceptional guest satisfaction."

The eight-story dual-branded hotel will be located on a 16-acre parcel of the park's land adjacent to Ontario Highway 400, 15 miles from Toronto Pearson International Airport. It will feature amenities important to both business and leisure travelers, such as free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, an indoor pool, 24-hour fitness center, coffee and cocktails bar, casual dining options, business center, flexible meeting and event spaces, and an outdoor sun deck.

"This dual-branded Hyatt Place and Hyatt House will be a great example of our continued focus on growing premium hotels that will attract business and leisure travelers alike," said Scott Richer, Hyatt's regional vice president of development for Canada. "We're thrilled to team up with the team at Cedar Fair Entertainment Company – we're confident the appeal and convenience of these two brands will meet the needs of guests visiting Canada's Wonderland and the growing city of Vaughan."

The project marks the sixth hotel in Cedar Fair's accommodations portfolio. The company currently owns and operates three hotels at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, and one at Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, Calif.; an additional hotel is under construction at Carowinds in Charlotte, N.C.

Capture.JPG.197284ba0e347a4d455668ad4dd59014.JPG

Edited by larrygator

After going on Valravn this past weekend I'm stoked for Yukon Striker. I'm also happy we're not getting a proper second drop and instead going for another inversion. I'm also happy it wasn't a wing rider, while gatekeeper is a beautiful ride, Valravn is definitely more intense. Hopefully we get better theming than some stickers and faux decorations/semi decorated building.