TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

B&M's look soooo damn good. However, with their track record of forceless coasters the last 10-12yrs I'm not getting my hopes up.

Their track record of “fun” coasters though makes this very exciting

I really need to get to this park.

And I don't agree that names are unimportant, but I also don't agree that this name is bad.

The worst names are those that are already in use! The worst unique name is better than the best copycat name.

I really need to get to this park.

And I don't agree that names are unimportant, but I also don't agree that this name is bad.

The worst names are those that are already in use! The worst unique name is better than the best copycat name.

I agree I rather like “Yukon Striker” more than names like Superhero X:Something

This layout looks a lot cooler than the other dive coasters, at least to me. I also really like the color scheme. Since the vest restraints have been improved so much I think they won't be a huge deal although of course everyone's gonna complain because they aren't using the normal B&M OTSRs

I don’t think everyone’s going to complain that they aren’t using “normal” (old) B&M OSTRs. A majority of the park’s regular guests from the area have never experienced or seen an old B&M OSTR, unless they’ve ridden coasters in the USA or La Ronde.

This layout looks a lot cooler than the other dive coasters, at least to me. I also really like the color scheme. Since the vest restraints have been improved so much I think they won't be a huge deal although of course everyone's gonna complain because they aren't using the normal B&M OTSRs

I don’t think everyone’s going to complain that they aren’t using “normal” (old) B&M OSTRs. A majority of the park’s regular guests from the area have never experienced or seen an old B&M OSTR, unless they’ve ridden coasters in the USA or La Ronde.

I agree cause judging from most of the people I talk to when I am at Wonderland have no idea that a lot of other parks exist. They know Disney and Universal but not a lot outside of that.

One thing that has me confused is Wonderland announced the Gold Pass but only really promote the regular season pass.

If I can needlessly argue semantics real quick, the name would sound much better/flow more naturally if it was "Yukon Strike". Still not an amazing name, but that extra "r" syllable is a bit too awkward in the name for me personally.

Fighting over a name aside, this coaster looks great. The dive into the lake with Vortex wrapping around is going to be phenomenal, and there's going to be some great pictures of this coaster thanks to it's central spot. Now I'm just wondering if the biblical monster trio is ever going to be completed!

Over the course of a few days / weeks, people just associate the name with the ride and never really pay it any thought at all. This is the case with awful names, great names and mediocre names. It really doesn’t matter. “Mystic Timbers” is the dumbest coaster name possibly ever (at least in North America) and it stopped bothering people after like 2 days.

YES! This is so true! I cannot stand when people are "wow what a crappy name" because for one, it's not like they could come up with a BETTER name, and two, you're exactly right, people just suck it up, get used to it, and deal with it. I mean people say "Thunder Dolphin" like it's no big deal and you want to stop them in their tracks be all STOP AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU JUST SAID AND AT NO POINT IN YOUR LIFE WILL YOU EVER PUT THOSE TWO WORDS TOGETHER AGAIN!!!

It seriously doesn't matter what the name is. I mean, this coaster could be called "Decorating Gravel Weasel" and it still wouldn't matter because in a matter of no time people would casually be all "Oh man, I just totally rode the Weasel and it was awesome!!!" or "Dude, let's go get in line for D-Graw" or some stupid crap like that.

..well, except sklooosh. Every time I’m reminded that there’s a ride called sklooosh it makes me happy. Besides that though...

Outside of many Japanese coaster names, Skloosh is the "happiest" ride name in the history of happiness. It's amazing!

Over the course of a few days / weeks, people just associate the name with the ride and never really pay it any thought at all. This is the case with awful names, great names and mediocre names. It really doesn’t matter. “Mystic Timbers” is the dumbest coaster name possibly ever (at least in North America) and it stopped bothering people after like 2 days.

YES! This is so true! I cannot stand when people are "wow what a crappy name" because for one, it's not like they could come up with a BETTER name, and two, you're exactly right, people just suck it up, get used to it, and deal with it. I mean people say "Thunder Dolphin" like it's no big deal and you want to stop them in their tracks be all STOP AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU JUST SAID AND AT NO POINT IN YOUR LIFE WILL YOU EVER PUT THOSE TWO WORDS TOGETHER AGAIN!!!

It seriously doesn't matter what the name is. I mean, this coaster could be called "Decorating Gravel Weasel" and it still wouldn't matter because in a matter of no time people would casually be all "Oh man, I just totally rode the Weasel and it was awesome!!!" or "Dude, let's go get in line for D-Graw" or some stupid crap like that.

..well, except sklooosh. Every time I’m reminded that there’s a ride called sklooosh it makes me happy. Besides that though...

Outside of many Japanese coaster names, Skloosh is the "happiest" ride name in the history of happiness. It's amazing!

Even if you look back on the CW sub forum there was people complaining about how stupid Behemoth was and how no one will understand or appreciate Leviathan. It's a thing you will get used to.... it just takes a while and helps a lot if it's an amazing coaster. Which this looks quite interesting.

Hey guys, I'm thinking of taking my family to Splash Works for the day tomorrow (Thursday). How much are the cupboard rentals? Can you open them more then once? Do they rent out life jackets? If so how much?

Thanks.

Edited by thirstydeer

I agree cause judging from most of the people I talk to when I am at Wonderland have no idea that a lot of other parks exist. They know Disney and Universal but not a lot outside of that.

When I say everyone I mean every whiny enthusiast online. I don't have a personal preference restraint-wise unless they're the old, unfixed vest restraints that crush your soul, and 99.99999% park guests don't care at all. If anything, they'll ride more because they feel more safe or whatever compared to the old OTSRs that sometimes leave a little of that scary space or whatever.

Hey guys, I'm thinking of taking my family to Splash Works for the day tomorrow (Thursday). How much are the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo rentals? Can you open it more then once? Do they rent out life jackets? If so how much?

Thanks.

I don't recall how much but I don't think it's more than 15 bucks for an all-day rental. You can open it as often as you need if you buy the all-day rental. The lockers are electronic now, so just pick a passcode you can remember and that's your "key" for your locker. Life jackets are free to borrow and should be hanging up near the Barracuda Blaster and in the back area near the Pump House (unless they have changed this since last year). If I am wrong someone else please correct me, thanks.

People spend too much time worrying about names.

Over the course of a few days / weeks, people just associate the name with the ride and never really pay it any thought at all. This is the case with awful names, great names and mediocre names. It really doesn’t matter.

“Mystic Timbers” is the dumbest coaster name possibly ever (at least in North America) and it stopped bothering people after like 2 days.

Nobody pays attention to ride names. They just associate them with the ride and move on.

Agree 100%. The complaining about ride names gets old fast. Personally, as long as it’s a fun ride, I couldn’t care less what they call it.

Anyway, Canada’s Wonderland has been on my bucket list for a while, and with the addition of Yukon Striker, I just might have to put it on the itinerary for next year.

I love almost everything about Yukon Striker! I'm a fan of the Dive Coasters (strangely, an unpopular opinion among enthusiasts - though the GP eat them up), and this easily looks like it'll be the best! My kids have ridden both Valravn, and ShieKra, and loved them both (ShieKra was one of my kids' favorite coasters at BGT), so I look forward to taking them all to ride this, and visit CW for their first time, next season! (Better get working on getting our Passports in order I guess!)

It's a great looking coaster (aside from that orange color again - though I do appreciate the homage to SkyRider), in a great location in the park, and a great addition for CW! I LOVE the dive into the tunnel, and also all of the interaction between the coaster, and the walkways! Decker and Co. hit another HR with this coaster's development, and placement, and I can't wait to see it in person! As for the name, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Though I also never had a problem with Mystic Timbers, either! (And is there any way we can make Decorating Gravel Weasel happen? Because that needs to happen! )

7. Lastly, I'm surprised to see Cedar Fair take their own record from their flagship park and bring it to another park that really isn't too far away. Nothing wrong with that, definitely not complaining - it's just a little unlike them.

Here's my take on this... Cedar Point got TONS of glory, and publicity out of Valravn, which regardless of what enthusiasts think of it, was a mega hit with the GP! I took a bunch of friends who aren't enthusiasts (which is pretty much all of my friends! lol), and they were in awe of its imposing appearance, regardless of its ride experience.

However, Steel Vengeance is the new hotness at CP this year, and it received a TON of publicity, and glory (and a little bit of negative press, for obvious reasons.) As such, CP has more than moved past the "We have the tallest, fastest, and bestest Dive Coaster" phase.

So, given what massive publicity whores (pardon my terminology) Dive Coasters are, it only makes sense that CF builds another massive one in one of its premier parks, and being able to tack on all the requisite "bests" and market it as such, was a natural way to go! It'll get tons of press, both in Canada and America, and no doubt be a hugely popular attraction for CW for years to come!

Why does airfare to Canada have to be so expensive?

Flying to Buffalo might end up being a cheaper option? You can then add on Niagara falls in addition to a trip to Wonderland.

It is a bone of contention in Canada how expensive airfares are. JetBlue and the like won't touch Toronto with a bargepole because of the high taxes!

Why does airfare to Canada have to be so expensive?

Someone mentioned Buffalo, but also consider Pittsburgh or Cleveland. Both offer relatively short drives to Toronto (around 5 hours depending on the border hold up) and you can plan to hit at least 1 other park on the trip if you fly into these airports. Obviously rental cars would add some expense but not much.

Honestly if you’re coming from a long distance and haven’t been to Niagara Falls I would consider you insane if you go to Wonderland without at least stopping there for a few hours. It’s so close.

I’m totally on board with flying to Buffalo and driving. You also pass Fantasy Island (like, literally pass it) and will be within a few minutes of Marine Land and Darien Lake if you’re feeling especially whorish. Darien Lake will likely be included with a Six Flags season pass next year and Marineland’s future is very much in doubt so it might be a good time to visit those places anyway. To get from those places to the park you literally drive right through Niagara Falls.