TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

It goes back to a problem people have nowadays online...if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything! No one is forcing you to go to the park. No one is forcing you to ride the new coaster. No one is forcing you to go to the parks Facebook page. You're not paying for the new coaster?!!? You don't have the right to be all bitchy about this thing that really doesn't affect you at all!

This applies to so much in life...much more than just coasters!

That is so true. I think too many people troll sites and make negative comments just to make themselves happy. I recently deleted my Instagram account for tolls leaving negative remarks about me. Did not want to fight back. Don't need my stress level going off the charts. So I just ended it!

I have come to the conclusion that they are unhappy low life individuals.

Ride looks cool but god damn what is that name.

I'm convinced Cedar Fair is just using names of Pacific Rim jaegers for their new coasters now.

I actually happen to like this one though! And this layout is far and away more original and better than I think anyone expected. I don't care how mediocre I thought Valravn was, Striker Eureka----I mean Yukon Striker looks incredible.

I am very glad I wasn't the only one making the Pacific Rim Jaeger connection with this!

(Also, ride looks great, love the name, good job, very exciting!)

Nice! A coaster themed to Northwestern Canadians protesting substandard working environments.

I don't personally get excited by these big, floaty-looking B&M's, but hey, Valravn is fun enough so I'm sure this will be enjoyable as well. If nothing else, I think that the helix over the pathway at the end looks awesome. I'm always a proponent of some good ride/path interaction, and I'm sure the guests will eat it up.

My only real critique is with the tunnel. I know that an animation is an animation, but I think CW can do something to make it look a little less...Anaconda-esque? In other words, it's a little bit utilitarian just diving into a concrete hole in the water. Surely nobody is expecting Krake levels of tunnel-theming, but why not put some big ol' rocks around the entrance/exit just to class it up a bit?

Don't know when I'll make it back to Canada's Wonderland, but I'm happy that this will be there waiting for me when I get there.

What a beautiful coaster. This is going to change Wonderland (for the better). Canada's Wonderland is a true coaster park now. Good job, Wonderland, the construction crews, and everyone running this site. I'm not sure if I will ever ride it, but this coaster is awesome! It is the first coaster that you will be able to see from anywhere in the park. Even non-riders will enjoy just looking at this amazing coaster.

As I stated on Wonderlands Facebook Page, this coaster has exceeded all of my expectations. What a fine looking layout. I Look forward to riding it.

Oh and with many rides, I wanted to give this a nickname... I call it Yukon Cornelius... yes... you heard it here first! (some of you may get the reference)

cac583-1-1.jpg.6d9ae675ba6ad2609be62f6c0e1a1b9f.jpg

Looks like a very fun ride! Is the second half after the MCBR not the best thing ever? No, but it's not like that was what B&M was going for. What did everyone expect in that second half? An Aquatrax?

In all seriousness, I'm glad to see Cedar Fair parks install more Dive Coasters. I really liked Valravn at Cedar Point!

The drop into the tunnel is exactly what I was hoping for when Valravn was announced. And I really like how after the vertical loop there’s that downward sloped straight track to pick up speed leading into the second Immelmann. It’ll be a fun ride, if nothing more.

Never been to Canada's Wonderland, but this announcement certainly gets it on my radar, and gonna plan a trip in 2019 for it.

(time to renew my Passport, which doesn't expire until 2020, but better to be safe!)

Hi all,

Pics below of the special early entry pass holder event today. This event was held in celebration of Yukon Striker's announcement, with a look behind the construction fence. Early entry rides included Mine Buster, Wind Seeker and Vortex. Basically, a tour of the general area that will open as Frontier Canada in 2019.

In addition, a section of construction fence was temporarily removed in front of the new coaster's station, for pass holders to take a look at how quickly work is progressing. All park department heads were there to speak with pass holders and answer questions. They're proud of this upcoming ride and rightfully so.

Yukon Striker looks absolutely incredible. It's hard to comprehend the area that the coaster will cover, especially considering how it bridges over Timberwolf Falls, connecting the first three quarters of the ride to the final section. I love the nod to SkyRider with Yukon Striker using the same colour scheme, adding the vertical loop and helix at the end. Definitely a unique and exciting layout for a dive coaster.

2019 is going to be a great year at Canada's Wonderland.

On a side note, it's amazing how small Leviathan's track looks in comparison to the monster-size dive coaster track.

YukonStriker-001.thumb.jpg.6e341b416f61e45b380a44f463248363.jpg

A beautiful morning at the park.

YukonStriker-002.thumb.jpg.5c93649da3f954c9372ff4a4261175e3.jpg

Something new to look at, starting today.

YukonStriker-003.thumb.jpg.781f0ba1ede4e619081ba501f3d7d1c2.jpg

These posters were such tease.

YukonStriker-004.thumb.jpg.655ecc9694d8cf05e13faeb5f17417a0.jpg

Official artwork of Yukon Striker

YukonStriker-005.thumb.jpg.87bafc4a4066edf87b17234527147952.jpg

YukonStriker-006.thumb.jpg.99348ff181596baf30ca2fb4c1e28931.jpg

The tarps are finally off. Our first look at what's been hiding down there.

YukonStriker-007.thumb.jpg.5b8c53a67f4c2fb8e17c7b08b207b39e.jpg

Dive tunnel in the middle of Vortex's helix.

YukonStriker-008.thumb.jpg.7d11967621b132546ef17dafff8dccfd.jpg

With the construction fence removed, we get a look at Yukon Striker's station.

YukonStriker-009.thumb.jpg.cc281fefca928be978d75920b3b62650.jpg

Another look at the station, with the moving floor panels installed. Hardly any stairs needed here.

YukonStriker-010.thumb.jpg.e53ff4de2786eba3fdac3c783c09281b.jpg

Lots of work happening, and quickly.

YukonStriker-011.thumb.jpg.9b7891337d4b609f451f7497f469fd3b.jpg

Lots of new steel coming and moving to its final spot.

YukonStriker-012.thumb.jpg.8804f4cf491b440450d2253caf6111a2.jpg

YukonStriker-013.thumb.jpg.c787aa7958092489cfc8984bf63ff1ce.jpg

YukonStriker-014.thumb.jpg.c5f2fdcc594a6e0121265b23912beadd.jpg

YukonStriker-015.thumb.jpg.bce2002fbd720d9b7643f9dbc030fc18.jpg

A view of the tunnel entrance and exit.

YukonStriker-016.thumb.jpg.41e38c0e2d3652c5993545438bdbcfeb.jpg

It'll be a great view of Vortex flying around its helix, from the top of Yukon Striker.

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

Love the creativity of the layout compared to other dive coasters, love the name, love the colors. The burnt orange is a lot more fitting here than it was for Valravn. And I'm a sucker for interactive moments where guests walk under/through coaster elements, so I really like how the path takes you under that massive helix.

This layout looks a lot cooler than the other dive coasters, at least to me. I also really like the color scheme. Since the vest restraints have been improved so much I think they won't be a huge deal although of course everyone's gonna complain because they aren't using the normal B&M OTSRs

We went to the park today (for reasons Ill describe later) and forgot today was "announcement day"! We arrived at 945 just before park opening. It was great to see "Yukon Striker", and like many others I am pleased that CW is my home park and also think Cedar Fair have done an amazing job since the Paramount days. We are spoiled here in Toronto and don't realise it!

We think it looks like an excellent coaster, with fun theming, and ticks the boxes that the GP and enthusiasts should want. Think speed, height, inversions....and most of all FUN! We are very much looking forward to it. Kudos to the park for the announcement and the build. Stinking humid today so I dont envy the workers!

Anyway, we went to the park today because just over a month ago we went to Kennywood, and my son (who has autism and medical issues) went on "Phantom's revenge" which was his first BIG coaster. His words leaving Kennywood "I want to do Behemoth". Fast forward a month, and today was his day. We warmed up with Sledgehammer (great ride), Windseeker ( I am not good on those type of rides so he was encouraging me!) and Timewarp ( oh dear oh dear...the days of Paramount!). After this we went over to Behemoth, overcame a slight anxiety attack...and then rode together 3 times! He loved it, and obviously so did I!

Proud parents again. As I explained on the Kennywood thread , noone sees the work that goes into something as simple as going on a ride. That is why I find the criticism of "Yukon Striker" amusing, because there are people out there who cant ride even if they want to, and someone else is pi$$ed that it is boring after the MCBR. Perspective!

We had a great (hot but great) day at CW. Vortex looks great with the new paint job and the new Canadian themed flat rides were fun. I went on Leviathan, my son promised he would do it next visit (not quite ready today which was fine by me). He also LOVES Yukon Striker already, so CW is fine by him and us. Bring on Winterfest.....I am WAY better in the cold than I am in the heat! Twas a sweaty day!

20180815_130857.thumb.jpg.3cc395e723c41f311295e92b4c8bd6e3.jpg

Behemoth was conquered!

Just renewed my Platinum passes for next year!

Interesting Season Pass notes:

- In 2019, unlimited visits to Haunt (and WinterFest) will be included with Gold and Platinum passes. It used to always be a hard ticket event regardless of what pass you had, so that is a welcome change!

- if you buy a new 2019 pass you get all of 2018 included (not parking though) for unlimited visits. In previous years it was 1 single visit for the previous season... not unlimited.

As for the ride... damn, I'm excited. I was not expecting such an awesome layout. Looking forward to this one!

man, does this ride look awesome. glad to see dive machines breaking out of the mold into some new elements (loop). even that second element.....i don't know whether to call that a dive loop or a zero-g roll? and obviously that first drop looks incredible.

other thoughts:

-second half of the ride looks a little weak, but oh well

-name really doesn't roll off the tongue well.....i kept forgetting the name of it over the course of today! i kept wanting it to call it yukon cornelius

-great addition to the park

-tunnel looks like a serious headchopper

-definitely gonna have to make a trip up to toronto from VA

-kudos to CW

Thanks for the photos, Jason. I had no idea they were this far along with the construction.

You’re welcome. It was a great surprise. A lot has definitely changed since they were watering the green field that was SkyRider’s spot.

We had a great (hot but great) day at CW. Vortex looks great with the new paint job and the new Canadian themed flat rides were fun. I went on Leviathan, my son promised he would do it next visit (not quite ready today which was fine by me). He also LOVES Yukon Striker already, so CW is fine by him and us. Bring on Winterfest.....I am WAY better in the cold than I am in the heat! Twas a sweaty day!

Glad you and your son had an awesome day and got on Behemoth. It was running exceptionally fast and forceful today. Agree, it sure was hot.

Glad you and your son had an awesome day and got on Behemoth. It was running exceptionally fast and forceful today. Agree, it sure was hot.

Appreciated, and thankyou for the photos. There are some great shots in there. My favourite though is the one you have of Vortex, where the Canadian geese are completely oblivious to all that is going on around them!! I have visions of that Italian model when he got clobbered on "Apollo's Chariot", maybe a true Canadian theme on YS would be get crapped on or hit by a goose!

Thanks again for your report today. We heard some excited comments from the GP during our day.

Add me to the hate the name club - the Yukon is a pretty obscure part of Canada and not really part of our national tradition. A coaster like this deserves better.

I love all the comments about the MCBR - the reality is the ride keeps going and so the MCBR is really a LCBR being at the very end. I am thankful the LCBR allows for three train operation, it beats Levi's world' largest brake run, and let's the thing fly for the first 90% of the ride.

What I haven't seen a lot of comments about is the placement - the positioning is nuts. They moved walkways around and placed the tunnel to exit into the immelman right in a major public picnic space. The kinetic energy and pictures will be crazy.

Once again Wonderland has gone with a needlessly expensive design building OVER two rides - Vortex, and Timberwolf Falls - and a lake. The ride tracks around the walkway to the waterpark as well. We will be able to get close to almost the whole ride. It is going to look great and be a real source of excitement. They had the room to do a more contained layout but went for something really bold right in the middle of the park. That is super ambitious. So ambitious they put the tunnel and first track pieces in before the start of this season a full 14 months before opening!

Can't wait to ride - just hope one day the park will do a Kings Island and rename it to Hebrew: זיז to complete the awesome trio.

Better yet, I hope my six year old is right. His reaction this morning "Dad, this means they are saving Hebrew: זיז for something bigger".

Ps. Love the observations that the colour scheme, loop and helix were a callback to Skyrider!

People spend too much time worrying about names.

Over the course of a few days / weeks, people just associate the name with the ride and never really pay it any thought at all. This is the case with awful names, great names and mediocre names. It really doesn’t matter.

“Mystic Timbers” is the dumbest coaster name possibly ever (at least in North America) and it stopped bothering people after like 2 days.

Nobody pays attention to ride names. They just associate them with the ride and move on.

..well, except sklooosh. Every time I’m reminded that there’s a ride called sklooosh it makes me happy. Besides that though...

Add me to the hate the name club - the Yukon is a pretty obscure part of Canada and not really part of our national tradition. A coaster like this deserves better.

Maybe it's just because I spent a lot of time reading Jack London as a kid, but I thought the Yukon gold rush was a pretty famous event?