TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Ride looks cool but god damn what is that name.

I'm convinced Cedar Fair is just using names of Pacific Rim jaegers for their new coasters now.

I actually happen to like this one though! And this layout is far and away more original and better than I think anyone expected. I don't care how mediocre I thought Valravn was, Striker Eureka----I mean Yukon Striker looks incredible.

So a few things to note....

- I really like the layout of this ride. As a sucker for vertical loops, and as someone who in every single Dive Machine coaster I ever built in RCT I always put a vertical loop in, it's great to finally see one with a vertical loop.

- I think the name is just fine. IMO, it's the Canadian version of Gold Striker, whatever that means!

- I'm impressed I only had to ban four people this morning for not being able to control themselves long enough to talk about the new ride until one of our moderators was able to post about it. Well done, TPR, most of you guys were able to follow simple instructions. I'm impressed!

- Let me explain further for those who felt it was "unfair" that we banned people for either leaking the information or couldn't wait for one of the mods to post about it:

No one scores any bonus point for being the "first" to talk about a new ride, post about a new ride, or have the information about a new ride. Especially if that information is LEAKED and it comes before the park has a chance to make their official announcement. It's disrespectful to the park and steals their thunder away. I feel like for most people, they just want to be "first" to post about it because it somehow makes them feel better about themselves probably due to some insecurity or entitlement issues. It doesn't.

The park has put forth a lot of time, effort, and money into an official announcement, and everyone should respect that. If you had a friend who was announcing if their baby was a boy or a girl, but they told you in private prior to their announcement, would you go to all your friends and tell them taking away their little surprise? No. And if you did you'd be a huge asshole. And that's how I view people who leak or post early about park announcements.

And why do we prefer one of our mods to make the announcement on our forums? Because people don't know how to make proper announcement posts and usually post pure garbage, like simply a link and that's it, and we end up having to delete that post anyway. It really comes down to this:

If you cannot respect our rules, no matter how insane you think they may be, don't post here.

Anyway, to the rest of you, we thank you for your patience and understanding. It really is greatly appreciated.

Edited by robbalvey

Yukon, eh. I'm disappointed there is no mashed potato splash down. Or the train doesn't mash potatoes on the dive.

Hah. I just got that.

Looks like a fun layout. Post-MCBR should provide some good off-ride footage. We've never been to CW and I think it's finally time to go visit my cousin in Scarborough again.

I really like the layout on this and I’ll be one of those that may gripe about the second half but after the second dive off the mid course I would have liked to have seen the zero-g roll like on Valravn that would have lead into the helix. That’s the only change I would make but congrats to CW on this new addition.

It’s also great that CF has come and finished the Frontier Canada area that was originally proposed when the park first opened.

Looks like I might be returning to Toronto for next Labor Day.

Already looks better than Valravn and Griffon. The main drop being threaded through Vortex's helix adds visual punch, and the vertical loop is a welcome element (a tribute to SkyRider before it having a loop?).

The name: Good, "Ziz" would make more sense for a replacement for Flight Deck / Time Warp. Will Striker be the new Timbers?

I really like the layout but I do wish they used the old train style. I will say after riding Valravn a few times recently, my body did better with those chest crushing vests but I felt more free with the old train. Also, I’m a fan of the logo and name. It’s always nice to get a unique name and not just another *insert Superhero character name*.

Been a long time since I worked at the park but, I remember being told that most coasters can't run under a certain temperature, which will be above or average winter temperatures.

I'd expect to see the two carousels running along with since select slower/medium level flats.

Times have changed. This conversation comes up every time a park announces an event like this.

Cedar Fair is generally a more conservative company than Six Flags (if this were a Six Flags park then Leviathan in December would totally be happening) but they're still probably going to run a coaster or two.

I don't really expect much, maybe Thunder Run, maybe the mouse, maybe Wonder Mountain (they're near the front so I assume that section of the park will be open) but at this point parks seem to have techniques to get these things going if they really want to. Six Flags has wheel heaters in New England including an impressive custom build duct system for Thunderbolt, parks can swap wheels, if they want to get a coaster running then in most cases they will. Cedar Fair did get Mystic Timbers running in 22 degree (f) temperatures last year which is pretty impressive.

Any idea if Yukon Striker will be included in a 2019 Fast Lane Plus Pass? I can't find any information on the CW website.

No... they definitely won't be adding the brand new coaster to Fastlane Plus. Why would they ever do such a thing?

I like it - it definitely looks like the best North American dive machine. There's even a couple spots that maybe-might-but-probably-won't have some genuine air time. The MCBR to the end of the ride reminds me a lot of Gatekeeper's final stretch, and it is what it is.

Love! I think this is the perfect addition to Canada's Wonderland. A few of my initial thoughts:

1. That first drop looks absolutely fantastic.

2. The first "half" of the ride (pre-MCBR) is totally sweet. It's nice to see dive coasters expand to more than just immelmanns.

3. The second half is definitely lacking, but I think the first half is so cool that it really doesn't matter.

4. I'm a big fan of Rougarou's colors, so I love these as well.

5. The name is fine. Most of Cedar Fair's names sound weird at first but end up growing on me.

6. Love the interaction with Vortex!

7. Lastly, I'm surprised to see Cedar Fair take their own record from their flagship park and bring it to another park that really isn't too far away. Nothing wrong with that, definitely not complaining - it's just a little unlike them.

I'm glad to see CW get the big, smooth, custom multi-looper they needed. Yukon Striker rounds out a *really* solid top 3! Wonderland is the last "major" Cedar Fair park I still need to visit someday!

7. Lastly, I'm surprised to see Cedar Fair take their own record from their flagship park and bring it to another park that really isn't too far away. Nothing wrong with that, definitely not complaining - it's just a little unlike them.

Well, they did that with FURY 325 (although it isn't close to CP) after years of saying they won't build a "regular" coaster taller than MF. I think they don't care about keeping records only at Cedar Point anymore and that is good for us!

Well, they did that with FURY 325 (although it isn't close to CP) after years of saying they won't build a "regular" coaster taller than MF. I think they don't care about keeping records only at Cedar Point anymore and that is good for us!

I've never understood this belief that Cedar Point has to be the king of titles and records. 'Hey let's not build a giant coaster that will make news and gain attention for breaking a record or two, get visitors through our gates and push up attendance in Canada because it'll steal some thunder away from another of our parks in Ohio that the majority of people at CW probably won't visit.' said no manager ever.

True, however Millennium Force didn’t hold a record(s) like Valravn does.

And I agree, this is definitely good news! It’s nice to see records at other CF parks. Just surprised to see CF do this, that’s all.