TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Well correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Canada's Wonderland consistently rank among the highest of attended parks? That would be really impressive considering its relatively short operating season.

Canada's Wonderland does have the highest level of attendance than any other seasonal park in North America with over 3.7 million visitors annually. It is quite an impressive achievement when you think about it for a park that only operates approximately 130 days each season.

Based on my limited research, Leviathan has an over bank at 115°... isn't that upside down? Or does it have to be exactly 180°?

"Upside down" is generally thought to be any bank / roll of more than 135 degrees. Above 135 degrees, your body is more upside-down than it is sideways.

Anyone else pick up on the changed teaser posters that Screamscape mentioned? Going to try and get some pics this comig week. Apparently it shows a large bird’s eye. The name was predicted years ago, when Leviathan opened, but that hint seems to just about confirm that this coaster will be named after another monster from Hebrew mythology. The large Griffin-like bird is Ziz. Another funny name. So we’ll have Behemoth, Leviathan and most likely, Ziz.

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

Anyone else pick up on the changed teaser posters that Screamscape mentioned on August 8th? Going to try and get some pics this comig week. Apparently it shows a large bird’s eye. The name was predicted years ago, when Leviathan opened, but this hint seems to just about confirm that this coaster will be named after another monster from Hebrew mythology. The large Griffin-like bird is Ziz. Another funny name. So we’ll have Behemoth, Leviathan and most likely, Ziz.

Yes, I had picked up on the change of the signs at Canada's Wonderland. At first they were showing a rock wall, now they are showing an eagle's eye. Below is a photo of the new sign that I had captured while at the park yesterday.

IMG_2736.JPG Photo credit: John Brooks via Amusement Views.

You guys think that cedar fair has a lot more say in new additions than the actual park. Really it's the opposite. Secondly Canada's Wonderland actually has one if the best atmospheres when it comes to looks. Thirdly, Canada's wonderland Is actually the most important park for cedar fair behind cp.

I don't care much about height since records are really only good for marketing. I can guarantee it's easily possible to make a ride much better than valvrayn that's smaller.

I think its a good mixture of both. The Senior VP of Planning & Design position exists for just that reason. It took three builds of Giga's after Millennium Force for Cedar Fair to go above MF's height and we got a terrific friggin ride out of the deal (and actually, all four of the Giga's in the chain are terrific rides, IMO)

With all of that said, Canada's Wonderland has never seemed to be a big one where they go for "records" at but rather build some interesting designs (the flat rides alone at this park are worth the visit). I agree with you in that you can have a terrific ride without breaking records. That's all from a marketing standpoint.

Cedar Point obviously still cares very much about Valravn's records. They love being able to say its the "King of Dive Coasters" and its tagline on the website is "Tallest, Fastest, Longest Dive Coaster in the World". The decision may be around to have this new one going in up at CW to be shorter than Valravn. The decision could also have gone the other way. It's a double edged sword because eventually there will be a Dive Machine built that is taller than Valravn. It's just bound to happen! Might as well make sure the record stays in your chain (if records are that cared for).

My prediction is that this will be shorter than Valravn but the drop will be about the same. Maybe it'll end up taking all three records. Either way, I think it's going to be a solid addition to the park and a coaster that I can't wait to get up there and ride. I also think it'll be "Ziz" because of the teasing going around and the fact that it would complete the trifecta of Behemoth, Leviathan & Ziz.

^There seems to be no point in keeping valvrayn's record since we all know it's not as good as expected. If you predict that it will have the same drop but be shorter that would mean one hell of an abrupt brake run to slow it down. Based off the information we know about where the brake run is, it is almost certain it will be longer than valvrayn.

When it comes to the name Ziz, the teaser shows a picture of an eagle not of a mythical creature.

There is a lot of theiming for this ride which fits the best as a gold mine theme. This area of the park is dedicated to Canadian history so it would make no sense to use ziz as a name.

When it comes to the name Ziz, the teaser shows a picture of an eagle not of a mythical creature.

There is a lot of theiming for this ride which fits the best as a gold mine theme. This area of the park is dedicated to Canadian history so it would make no sense to use ziz as a name.

In all fairness, an Eagle wouldn’t make any sense either if that area really is dedicated to things that are obviously Canada. Finishing off the third massive coaster as the third mythical beast makes more sense, even if it is kinda strange. Ziz resembles a griffin, which itself resembles part eagle. Hopefully that’s not the case, but seems that way.

I’m all in for a mining theme though.

A Ziz is often depicted as Griffin-like or simply a giant Eagle. Both of these have have the head of an Eagle, just like that poster.

IMG_2736.JPG

Griffin.png

roc.jpg

Lines up to me...

Also, eagles definitely existed in the Yukon mining territory and all over Canada, even today. I'd say North America will be 4/4 with flying mythical creature themed B&M Dive Coasters.

Honestly, the bird is probably just for the teaser. It makes no sense why there would be a mythological bird as the theme of the ride. If you think of the rides and the area around it as a whole, it just doesn't make any sense at all to call it Ziz.

Honestly, the bird is probably just for the teaser. It makes no sense why there would be a mythological bird as the theme of the ride. If you think of the rides and the area around it as a whole, it just doesn't make any sense at all to call it Ziz.

And Intimidator 305 is in an African themed section of a park

Drop Tower: Scream Zone, Speed City Raceway and Leviathan sit in the Medieval Faire area at CW. Some parks don't have rides fit a theme 100% (though Cedar Fair has been drifting that way and I am a fan of it). Sometimes its just where the room is!

Lots can fit into the theme of an area named "International Festival".

Not saying it'll for sure be "Ziz", but it is entirely possible. The fact that all the Dive Machines in North America have been named after flying creatures and that Ziz completes the trifecta of mythological creatures, its possible! The name (if it is ever used by CW) could always be used for another coaster/ride as well.

I'm all for a mining themed Dive Coaster, but I have a feeling it'll be named after a creature.

^With the other teasing that they did, and with all the new scenery. It is almost certain this will be themed to something related to Canadian history. The park already starting to theme other rides to this area such as vortex with the new wooden style trains. CW is starting to focus more and more on theming so it would be a shock if this new ride was unrelated.

Ontop of that, there has already been a coaster called Ziz https://www.coneyislandhistory.org/collection/page-35-feltmans-ziz.

Canadas wonderland just sent this email out:

Canada's Wonderland will be announcing its big 2019 news on Wednesday, August 15 at canadaswonderland.com. To mark the occasion, Season Passholders will get an exclusive Early Ride Time from 9am - 10am on Vortex, Windseeker, and Mighty Canadian Minebuster. As a special bonus, Passholders will have the first chance at a sneak peek behind our construction fence to see what we've been working on.

I am headed to the park tomorrow for the first time (hurray first international theme park!) and was wondering if anybody had any tips or tricks for the park. I just like having a plan of attack, and the people here know best! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

I am headed to the park tomorrow for the first time (hurray first international theme park!) and was wondering if anybody had any tips or tricks for the park. I just like having a plan of attack, and the people here know best! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

I like to go on the low capacity coasters first (bat, fly, stunt track), then the two biggies (behemoth and leviathan), then just go around in a circle. I realize my plan means bouncing around the park a bit at the beginning but you save so much queueing time I find it is worth it.

Normally I hit up WonderMountains Guardian first if it's open, just as the line used to get pretty long and steady through the day (I know some don't like it but it's a unique and fin way to start the day) . After that Start on Bahemoth and start a circle from there as most people start on the opposite side at Leviathan now. I don't recommend riding time warp or flight deck right away if you don't want a headache for the full day ^_^.

Foodwise I always go the the Markertplace Buffet for lunch/Dinner as it's all you can eat if I stay in the park.