TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

I'm planning on going solo to Wonderland on Monday... anyone interested in joining me?

Next time you plan on going solo let me know. None of my family can handle thrill rides so I also go solo and can go during the week. Sorry I didn't see this till now. Been away.

when I took my son to dinosaurs alive back in June one of the reps there said it was shutting down this year. I asked why but he didn't know. He guessed to make room for something else. My guess is that an event like this gets stale after a while.

when I took my son to dinosaurs alive back in June one of the reps there said it was shutting down this year. I asked why but he didn't know. He guessed to make room for something else. My guess is that an event like this gets stale after a while.

Yes, attractions like this do lose popularity over time as it had never changed over the past six years it was at the park. Over the past couple of years, Canada's Wonderland has offered discount admission to season pass holders in order to make it popular again, but it appears to have not succeeded. Due to Dinosaurs Alive's location, I can only see either a Planet Snoopy expansion or a new family section take over that corner of the park.

The contracts are up.

KI got it in 2011...removed end of 2017 season.

Wondeland, Dorney, Cedar Point. Kings Dominion got it in 2012.....expect all reomoved end of 2018 season.

Carowinds, Valley fair, WOF got it in 2013 ...expect removal end of 2019 season.

I would agree Wonderlands is in spot for the space to be for Kids rides or a family ride.

Dormey's area coud be used for a coaster as it's near the space where Stinger was remived already.

Cedar Point's spot could be used for a coaster when combined with maybe Snake River falls spot.

Kings Dominon's is next to the Go Karts and Grizzly. The Karts at KD are not very popular and the track is small. I could see Karts going soon after the Dinos.

Speaking of teasers...

If you pause the video at the exact moment it flashes on screen, right before the 8/15, you will get your first glance of the coaster... I use that term loosely, lol. Sneaky sneaky.

SOURCE: Canada's Wonderland Facebook

877369652551200dd1684d04edda03f0.jpg

Also: Dinos Alive was officially announced to be ending this year

EDIT: wow, I'm dumb. DOM497 beat me to it a long time ago.

I will be proving this point later, as I have not been to CW this year yet, but I will say this anyway. I believe, the original concrete structure of Salt Water Circus remains intact. I believe they just built our Dinosaurs Alive on top of it. If you try to think about it, the entrance to CW DA, is the original entrance ramp to SWC. Turn right and you walk around the lower part of the grandstand, with the hill on your right being where the seating used to be and the dolphin/sea lion pool is on your left. You walk around on a circular path until you get to the other side of SWC. Another ramp leads down to the children's dig site where the original exit used to be. They have extended the original path to go closer to the Bat and out the exit near the swan boats. Again, soon, I will post some pics to prove my point. Does anyone agree with me? If they were to redevelop that area, they would either leave the original structure in as it stands right now or they would have to do a lot of digging as the concrete structure of SWC is very large.

Ifthey do decide to use the land for another venue space I feel as though they would rip up the old supports and build brand new.

I couldn't imagine it being in great shape as is... as well they're definitely not getting into the aquarium business for fairly obvious reasons.

I would like to see a camp snoopy for most of it plus leaving some room for if they ever wanted to extend a coaster over that area.

Does anyone have a picture of Salt Water Circus in their collections? I bet you can overlay CW Dinosaurs Alive and be surprised at just how much original structure is still there. I looked at Google Maps, chemical, and there is an original building right behind the dinosaurs on the left of the path. This used to be behind the scenes of Salt Water Circus. The blue building with the grey roof is over 38 years old. There is actually a white hose coming out of the door. I bet they still need to pump out the pool when it rains in that area.

Does anyone have a picture of Salt Water Circus in their collections? I bet you can overlay CW Dinosaurs Alive and be surprised at just how much original structure is still there. I looked at Google Maps, chemical, and there is an original building right behind the dinosaurs on the left of the path. This used to be behind the scenes of Salt Water Circus. The blue building with the grey roof is over 38 years old. There is actually a white hose coming out of the door. I bet they still need to pump out the pool when it rains in that area.

Super interesting - looking at this old postcard from BlogTo, I was shocked how much of the pathways were the same. I also forgot how big the space was 2015522-HANNA-BARBERA-1981.jpg

I know it's a naive dream but a great true family ride like a proper log flume would be great back there. The Charlie Brown themed log flume would be amazing. I marathoned that with my then three year old a few years back and he was in heaven.

Speaking of which, Dinosaurs Alive will be missed. Kids love dinos and it always a great activity on days when the park was jammed (e.g. firework nights). The upkeep most have been bad and the skins are starting to age. I get why they are aren't renewing the contracts but still we always enjoyed going.

Went to the park today (at this point it’s yesterday but that’s not all too important) and I caught on the souvenir cups a saying that I was pleasantly surprised to see, and I think you guys may agree, or not - I don’t judge

F7715F38-0848-4198-B0A1-382087882067.thumb.jpeg.3391bc211258a93b00eeb7ead25e1130.jpeg

“Dive Into Summer” - seems pretty interesting, eh?

Nothing major, just a fun little thing I noticed!

21ABBE3D-326F-465E-8AC7-E2AA4167768D.thumb.jpeg.e52d27413d3f88f98cfa28b08b6fa629.jpeg

Now plastered all along the wall!

50E35DE4-A8D5-491D-A358-65A3DD5EF8F8.thumb.jpeg.dc6c492fa1317637c2991b7ec27eb62f.jpeg

Photoss don’t do it justice at all. Leviathan’s colors really POP with a stormy background!

9318119E-69DF-4A09-8F8B-72EC3E2DC312.thumb.jpeg.347ff51f8baa21e37df0f2f56c081c35.jpeg

I could get used to this view. Lovely lovely park skyline and entrance

F387935B-6AFB-478E-A538-9F05940EC74D.thumb.jpeg.89d035a43b85e5bd2d6d38721cb2239f.jpeg

The rain came, kicked the behind of about 40% of the guests, and left a bunch of puddles for artsy fartsy shots

1D1F3D73-D28A-450F-8A67-627AA5AA523C.thumb.jpeg.2c8b39048a3d394b82093435b13a5f6c.jpeg

Seriously awesome looking. I know it’s no Cinderella Casle but it’s awesome in its own way

Looking at the historical aerial imagery on Google Earth, you can see that not too much of the Salt Water Circus structure exists to this day. The only thing I can see that has stayed the same since its removal in late 2011 is the chemical building which was located at the back of the venue. The pools, tent, and other facilities relating to the Salt Water Circus have seen been removed to make way for Dinosaurs Alive in 2012.

1179310803_SaltwaterCircus-CanadasWonderlandApril2002.thumb.jpg.39e064a7ff9a2ba99c84976ee7d86fad.jpg

1572915953_DinosaursAlive-CanadasWonderlandSeptember2017.thumb.jpg.0a37ec3a81c12394225c90ac9fc9001c.jpg

Super interesting - looking at this old postcard from BlogTo, I was shocked how much of the pathways were the same. I also forgot how big the space was 2015522-HANNA-BARBERA-1981.jpg

I know it's a naive dream but a great true family ride like a proper log flume would be great back there. The Charlie Brown themed log flume would be amazing. I marathoned that with my then three year old a few years back and he was in heaven.

Speaking of which, Dinosaurs Alive will be missed. Kids love dinos and it always a great activity on days when the park was jammed (e.g. firework nights). The upkeep most have been bad and the skins are starting to age. I get why they are aren't renewing the contracts but still we always enjoyed going.

Thank you Lord Denning. I don't know why it took me this long, but after six years this has finally confirmed what I thought. Most, if not all of the original Salt Water Circus structure/buildings/and path, remain intact. Yes, it is a massive area, however a bit of the area has been use by some of the rides in Planet Snoopy and the path has been extended over to the swans. A huge Planet Snoopy expansion could be put in there or perhaps, Camp Snoopy would be better.

Look how busy it is! Everybody loved Hanna-Barbera Land,

Thanks for the old pic.

Edited by PATTYCAKES

Looking at the historical aerial imagery on Google Earth, you can see that not too much of the Salt Water Circus structure exists to this day. The only thing I can see that has stayed the same since its removal in late 2011 is the chemical building which was located at the back of the venue. The pools, tent, and other facilities relating to the Salt Water Circus have seen been removed to make way for Dinosaurs Alive in 2012.

[attachment=0]Salt water Circus- Canada's Wonderland April 2002.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Dinosaurs Alive- Canada's Wonderland September 2017.jpg[/attachment]

And thank you to you too, John Lloyd. Don't worry about the tent, but look closely at the path and follow it as it goes under the tent and around to the other side. It looks like the original exit path may still be there too. The next time I am at the park, I am going to look for it. Clearly, it looks like the original path is still there as well as the original pool, where we can now see dinosaurs instead of dolphins and sea lions. What will we be seeing in that area next?

Maybe they should have left the tent up. The dinosaurs probably would have lasted a lot longer.

Thanks you for the old pic.

Edited by PATTYCAKES

[attachment=0]Salt water Circus- Canada's Wonderland April 2002.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Dinosaurs Alive- Canada's Wonderland September 2017.jpg[/attachment]

And thank you to you too, John Lloyd. Don't worry about the tent, but look closely at the path and follow it as it goes under the tent and around to the other side. It looks like the original exit path may still be there too. The next time I am at the park, I am going to look for it. Clearly, it looks like the original path is still there as well as the original pool, where we can now see dinosaurs instead of dolphins and sea lions. What will we be seeing in that area next?

Thanks for the old pic.

Spotted today traveling through Ohio on I-75, heading northbound towards Canada! This was passing through Dayton, OH today. My roommate took this photo on his way to work, I asked if I could share here since he’s not a Redditor. I’m sure there will be many more like it over the next few weeks!

809694153_gp6klylb1id11(1).thumb.jpg.7c7fca1211dc1f939c1122d0e5bf4bb8.jpg

B&M Track Heading to CW

I was at the park yesterday and watched them unload a similar truck to this around 8pm as well as a truck full of green poles. You can see from behemoth station and mcbr the staging area for the new coaster. At first there was what looked like brakes and in the last 2 weeks there has been more stuff arriving including what look like lift hill stairs and supports. There are a few curved track pieces too.

I did not take any pics since i am not sure they want people to and i stayed for a night ride on leviathan. It is a great ride in the dark.