TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

I am in camp Ziz.

Ever since Leviathan and Behemoth it is has been fun to speuclate as to when/if/how we can get the final beast. It's got cool backstory. Leans well into the dive or wing coaster concepts

Some generic random Canadian wilderness themed ride like the latest flats is just so uninspired in comparison.

For flats and minor coaster I agree on the mediocre names but when it comes to signature coasters CF does a good job at naming and more modernly, theming. Ie. Banshee, Steel Vengence, Twisted Timbers.

I'm all for a really good Canadiana themed and named coaster. Save Ziz or Renanin for when they replace Flight Deck and Time Warp.

When Ziz... or whatever the new dive coaster is going to be called is announced, do you think TPR is going to do another organized trip to the park like they did when Leviathan opened? I bought a ticket to the Leviathan event but ended up being unable to go due to a last minute sickness in my family, and couldn't get a refund. Am hoping for another opportunity for such an event.

As Leviathan is the king of fishes, so the Ziz is appointed to rule over the birds. His name comes from the variety of tastes his flesh has; it tastes like this, zeh, and like that, zeh. The Ziz is as monstrous of size as Leviathan himself. His ankles rest on the earth, and his head reaches to the very sky.

It once happened that travelers on a vessel noticed a bird. As he stood in the water, it merely covered his feet, and his head knocked against the sky. The onlookers thought the water could not have any depth at that point, and they prepared to take a bath there. A heavenly voice warned them: "Alight not here! Once a carpenter's axe slipped from his hand at this spot, and it took it seven years to touch bottom." The bird the travelers saw was none other than the Ziz. His wings are so huge that unfurled they darken the sun. They protect the earth against the storms of the south; without their aid the earth would not be able to resist the winds blowing thence. (Aggadah)

I just asked my co-worker if he'd heard of Behemoth... He said yes. I asked if he'd heard of Leviathan... He said yes. I asked about Ziz... Never heard of it. It's for this reason that I'm skeptical of the name. Everybody immediately knows what to visualize with the first two beasts, as they're fairly mainstream. Ziz, not at all. Now, Cedar Fair has shown no aversion to naming coasters random mythical beasts nobody's heard of before (Rougarou, Valravn), so it's certainly still a possibility. However, I just have a feeling that while it WILL be themed to a mythical flying beast, that DIVES down at its prey, it won't be the Hebrew Ziz. It'll probably be something that more immediately conjures up images in the average potential park-goer's head, rather than something they need to know a backstory on.

Haha during my very little research with a colleague of mine, I Predict they speak for literally hundreds of millions of people.

Welp there you have it folks. No one knows about Ziz.

I never heard of any of these names prior to their construction. But I learned enough about them afterwards. If people can get behind Rougarou God damnit, they can get behind this one too..... but they have to wait for the next coaster first.

It’s been about 5 days already and I tcould have been mentioned here before, but that path that was open behind Timberwolf has been closed once again, probably for good this time. (Until next year that is)

D6ABD252-74BB-48D5-9C19-4414D5F0817A.thumb.jpeg.ce949283d595739a42c301ccf5a9a466.jpeg

I'm highly skeptical about the dive coaster being called Ziz. The whole area surrounding and leading up to the ride has been re-themed to a very "Canadian" style. What was the entrance of the queue leading into SkyRider is now a long path with nice dark wooden light poles and log style railing leading towards where the station seems to be being put in place.

Based on the little bit I saw when I was there it looks like the ride entrance area is going to be near Minebuster, so I wonder if the retheming of the pathways over near Flying Canoes and what not is really going to impact much. It seems as though this coaster is going to be moving across a couple different areas of the park, so though Cedar Fair isn’t usually one to care all too much about themeing, if they were going to base the attractions name off of where it exists in the park, it’s entrance would be in or very close to Action Zone where Behemoth resides so a less Canadiana theme may just make sense. Not saying Ziz is the answer but I feel like this one won’t be as cut and dry as some may currently think

Auburn seems like a great colour to use in and around the woods too! I'm hoping that the grey is a primer.... it wouldn't reach the visual potential that way.

I'm still hoping for a 280 ft lift and a 20ft tunnel to make it a giga!

And you still have me intrigued saying there are more surprises haha.

Sweet. I'm not gonna lie, I am a little surprised Cedar Fair is building another B&M Dive that's just as big (at the minimum) or bigger than Valravn. Usually they're not the ones to steal their own records in such short time, especially from a ride at Cedar Point.

I'm really hoping this thing has 10-across seating with regular restraints, but this is Cedar Fair so there is about a 0% chance of that happening. But I can dream.

Haha during my very little research with a colleague of mine, I Predict they speak for literally hundreds of millions of people.

Welp there you have it folks. No one knows about Ziz.

Not that your snarky jab deserves a response, but I've been around for quite a while, and have known about Behomoth and Leviathan for quite a while, and have known them to be a commonly known thing for quite a while. That was simply one of MANY conversations I've had over the years, pointed out to prove a point. A point that shouldn't even be up for debate: Ziz isn't even remotely as well known of a name for a mythical (or biblical) beast. I've been in religious circles my entire life, and have never heard that name before this thread. I would wager a lot of money, that outside of orthodox Jews, who study the original Hebrew texts, that a percentage of society upwards of 85% have never heard that name. It's not in any of the modern translations of the Bible, so it's not going to be well known. Now, none of that is to say CF wouldn't pull something unknown out of their tail for this coaster (Rougarou, Valravn), and I'm not even saying there's no way it'll be that. But my point stands: when you say Behemoth and Leviathan, most people, especially if they have even a cursory religious upbringing, will have an image in their mind. Say ZIz... You're going to get almost exclusively blank faces. This knowledge isn't through "very little research," it's through many years of life experience, and common sense...

Sweet. I'm not gonna lie, I am a little surprised Cedar Fair is building another B&M Dive that's just as big (at the minimum) or bigger than Valravn. Usually they're not the ones to steal their own records in such short time, especially from a ride at Cedar Point.

Honestly, I think one of the reasons this project has been longer in coming than many initially suspected, is due to this reason. Valravn had a good couple of years to bask in the glory of being the #1 Dive Coaster (at least based on stats - experience may vary), and gather raves at CP, and now they've debuted a new hotness there, and Valravn is yesterday's news. Now, when new coaster season rolls around for 2019, CF will again be unleashing a huge, record breaking Dive Coaster (assuming that's the magnitude of this coaster), which will likely be the largest investment at any CF park for that year, and will have the spotlight, and the attention of the masses, who are mesmerized by these things (regardless of how popular they are with enthusiasts.) I know I'm already planning to get my Passport finally, and get back to CW next year, as I will now have this AND Leviathan to check out!