TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

I really enjoyed the Zamperla Hawk at Seabreeze; Lumberjack is the same model. It's quite thrilling when your inverted for a long period of time, and just slowly gaining enough momentum to complete another revolution.

I've got a crazy question. I'm interested in the smaller coasters and travelling through Canada for my 2 sons. (22 and 15, funny coaster story on the younger one)

Thinking about all of the stuff that goes with being in another Country. Colorful money, cumbersome border crossings, cross-section multi-languages, etc. We're tight on time; but we could swing it...we'd be sacrificing ERT at CP on Sunday night of Memorial Day weekend. My thought is that all the parks are gonna be jam-packed - even with FL+ it'll be a good wait for smaller rides. So why not just do the scenic route over the weekend (Highway 2 from Minot all the way across and down), and get to where we need to be by Monday night. We'd be able to hit up Niagara and Waldameer as well.

With that said, all of you Wonderland regulars mind selling me on the 22 hour drive?

^ If you are a fan of flat rides, this is the place for you. But if you are looking for a great coaster selection after the 1/2 punch of Behemoth and Leviathan, you might be slightly disappointed (unless you wait until next season).

But if you are already going to CP and plan on hitting up Waldameer and Niagara Falls, I would say that it would be worth a day trip to CW.

I've got a crazy question. I'm interested in the smaller coasters and travelling through Canada for my 2 sons. (22 and 15, funny coaster story on the younger one)

Thinking about all of the stuff that goes with being in another Country. Colorful money, cumbersome border crossings, cross-section multi-languages, etc. We're tight on time; but we could swing it...we'd be sacrificing ERT at CP on Sunday night of Memorial Day weekend. My thought is that all the parks are gonna be jam-packed - even with FL+ it'll be a good wait for smaller rides. So why not just do the scenic route over the weekend (Highway 2 from Minot all the way across and down), and get to where we need to be by Monday night. We'd be able to hit up Niagara and Waldameer as well.

With that said, all of you Wonderland regulars mind selling me on the 22 hour drive?

Would love to help, but you need to clarify your plans better. What is the exact route your taking and the parks you wish to visit? I have made many trips all around the Great Lakes and believe I could offer great advice on routes, parks, scenic areas and more!

If you can avoid Memorial Weekend and visit weekdays, then your trip is going to be much better.

Minot, ND - US Highway 2/41 (State Highway 28?) to St. Sault Marie to Highway 69 (Sudbury area) South to CW. CW to Niagara, Waldameer, then onto KI for 2 days, then onto Coastermania/Holiwood nights, Dollywood, SDC, and then home and back to the grind. We don't get to see or interact with trees that much in ND, so the more the merrier.

Minot, ND - US Highway 2/41 (State Highway 28?) to St. Sault Marie to Highway 69 (Sudbury area) South to CW. CW to Niagara, Waldameer, then onto KI for 2 days, then onto Coastermania/Holiwood nights, Dollywood, SDC, and then home and back to the grind. We don't get to see or interact with trees that much in ND, so the more the merrier.

Awesome! The exact route I already planned to suggest! The drive through Ontario is full of trees, lakes, rock and so much better than the boring drive though Michigan. There will be very little traffic that way (not our long weekend), including the border. Umm, ya, just fuel up your vehicle before crossing, only bummer here $$$. Wonderland will be very manageable that Sunday and especially Monday. It's a great park and neat to compare with KI. On Monday, don't leave any later than 2pm or you will hit all the traffic flowing from Toronto to Niagara.

Do you plan on visiting any of the Falls? You could spend Monday evening there and then drive the remaining 2.5h to Erie. Even if you only want to do a drive by, the Niagara Parkway is very scenic.

re: lumberjack

Couldn't they have saved a lot of money by just moving Jet Scream? The rides are almost identical, save for appearance.

The flat ride they put in last year was basically a less intense version of Shockwave too. I'm all for new flat rides but after watching some videos of what Six Flags has put in over the last few years I can see that there are a slew of very different flat rides Wonderland could've purchased instead.

Well that would have been a wise idea, but Jet Scream was starting to wain in popularity by the time of its removal in late 2010. Also, it looped over the top slowly, instead of moving fast often causing pain for most of the riders. Also from what I understand, the PLC was too costly to replace. But since its removal, it was sold to a park in South America (Venezuela I believe), where it has been standing but not operating since. But, I feel Lumberjack will be much better received by park visitors due to the comfortable ride it provides.

As for last year's addition, Soaring Timbers, it is the predecessor of the Mondial Top Scan (Shockwave). So, I do agree that it doesn't make much sense as to why they added it to Canada's Wonderland last year. I feel another park in the chain would have benefited better from it. On a side note, prior to coming to Canada's Wonderland, Soaring Timbers had traveled the European midways running on a more intense program. But on a positive note, given the way Canada's Wonderland operates Soaring Timbers, it does fill the gap for a thrilling family ride. I just wish they would be able to load it much faster.

Thanks for that info! By your description, it sounds like I would've preferred Jet Scream to stay for the extra inversion time as I don't recall ever experiencing pain on that ride. Lumberjack seems to be identical to the Bonzai ride that is at the CNE every year.

I'd love for Wonderland to buy the Mach5 ride that NAME added a few years ago. Has anyone rode it? It's easily one of the best flat rides I've ever been on! The only downside is the slow moving queue due to small load capacity but installing two of them would help that a lot.

re: lumberjack

Couldn't they have saved a lot of money by just moving Jet Scream? The rides are almost identical, save for appearance.

The flat ride they put in last year was basically a less intense version of Shockwave too. I'm all for new flat rides but after watching some videos of what Six Flags has put in over the last few years I can see that there are a slew of very different flat rides Wonderland could've purchased instead.

Well that would have been a wise idea, but Jet Scream was starting to wain in popularity by the time of its removal in late 2010. Also, it looped over the top slowly, instead of moving fast often causing pain for most of the riders. Also from what I understand, the PLC was too costly to replace. But since its removal, it was sold to a park in South America (Venezuela I believe), where it has been standing but not operating since. But, I feel Lumberjack will be much better received by park visitors due to the comfortable ride it provides.

As for last year's addition, Soaring Timbers, it is the predecessor of the Mondial Top Scan (Shockwave). So, I do agree that it doesn't make much sense as to why they added it to Canada's Wonderland last year. I feel another park in the chain would have benefited better from it. On a side note, prior to coming to Canada's Wonderland, Soaring Timbers had traveled the European midways running on a more intense program. But on a positive note, given the way Canada's Wonderland operates Soaring Timbers, it does fill the gap for a thrilling family ride. I just wish they would be able to load it much faster.

Thanks for that info! By your description, it sounds like I would've preferred Jet Scream to stay for the extra inversion time as I don't recall ever experiencing pain on that ride. Lumberjack seems to be identical to the Bonzai ride that is at the CNE every year.

I'd love for Wonderland to buy the Mach5 ride that NAME added a few years ago. Has anyone rode it? It's easily one of the best flat rides I've ever been on! The only downside is the slow moving queue due to small load capacity but installing two of them would help that a lot.

The restraints on the Intamin Looping Starships can be quite tight for certain passengers, especially once the ride gets going. Yes, Lumberjack is nearly identical to the Bonzai (Fabbri Kamikaze 2) at the CNE, but the Lumberjack ( and all other Zamperla Hawks; both 24 and 48 models) provide a much more comfortable ride due to the snug fitting of the restraints.

As for a KMG Speed (Mach 3 or 5 at the CNE), Mondial produces a model that has a much great capacity known as the "Turbine" that can accommodate up to 20 passengers per ride. It operates in a similar fashion and more since it has rotating passenger gondolas. It would be a nice addition to see at Canada's Wonderland in the near future.

As for a KMG Speed (Mach 3 or 5 at the CNE), Mondial produces a model that has a much great capacity known as the "Turbine" that can accommodate up to 20 passengers per ride. It operates in a similar fashion and more since it has rotating passenger gondolas. It would be a nice addition to see at Canada's Wonderland in the near future.

Awesome! You are just a wealth of information. Thanks again.

Now where can we submit new ride requests to Wonderland??

Awesome! You are just a wealth of information. Thanks again.

Now where can we submit new ride requests to Wonderland??

You're welcome! As for sending in ride requests, I think just listing them here is a start as I am sure some park officials check out the fours once in a while.

It wont be a Giga, not enough room. Plus they already have Leviathan with a 300ft drop so why have two rides both with 300ft drops?

If you’re using that mindset, why would Cedar Point build Valravn or Steel Vengeance? They already had Magnum which is 200+ ft.

A giga dive coaster would be awesome!

It wont be a Giga, not enough room.

Everyone at once:

"THERE"

"IS"

"ALWAYS"

"ENOUGH"

"ROOM!"

Check out Grona Lund, Indiana Beach, and a slew of other parks I'm too tired to think of. Knott's... etc. Heck, even the new Hersheypark watercoaster has some nice placing. If they want to put something in, they will make it work.

Plus they already have Leviathan with a 300ft drop so why have two rides both with 300ft drops?

Because they can. Why not? I'm not saying they are or should, but what would it matter? Cedar Fair likes big stuff.

^I'm not sure... but perhaps most expensive? With the tunnel and all?

I've only been up there once... 2 years ago and I was at the park for 2 days. Loved it! Can't wait to get back. Vortex was my favorite ride

Plus they already have Leviathan with a 300ft drop so why have two rides both with 300ft drops?

Because they can. Why not? I'm not saying they are or should, but what would it matter? Cedar Fair likes big stuff.

Yea, why did Point build Steel Vengeance? We already HAD rides with 200ft drops!! Waste of money!

Dive coasters already take up little room compared to other types of coasters. I could easily see this being 300ft. Or I could see this being smaller and that tunnel is actually for the second drop of the ride. We just don't know. We technically don't even know this is a Dive Machine yet even though all the evidence suggests it is.

Either way, there is always enough room if a park wants to get creative and if they're willing to pay the cash.

Either way, there is always enough room if a park wants to get creative and if they're willing to pay the cash.

Bingo. You can fit any coaster you want in any park you want but only the parks know how easy (cheap) or difficult (expensive) it will be to put a certain coaster in a certain place. Don't always assume that a certain coaster can be built in whatever open space a park has - sometimes, the ground just isn't suitable for development.

Obviously Cedar Fair and Canada's Wonderland are willing to eat the cost to make that dive coaster fit - otherwise, they would not have done all the site work, draining the lake, making the tunnel, etc to get this far.

^Sure thing. One of the biggest face palms for me (does anyone still use the term face palm?) is when people say "Cedar Point is out of space," interchanged with almost any park. It's commonly said with relation to huge parks (SFGAmerica, Magic Mountain, etc.) which makes it especially silly. And they don't have to be big to be world class rides

jetline.thumb.jpg.8d777154f14747737a8da2ea0572c8ff.jpg

Edited by JT325

- A very Close up picture and analysis of the Dive coaster track seen in the tunnel :0

In a couple of your videos you mention there being another trench/tunnel being built. Can you please elaborate on location or draw on a photo or show a photo of this?

- A very Close up picture and analysis of the Dive coaster track seen in the tunnel :0

In a couple of your videos you mention there being another trench/tunnel being built. Can you please elaborate on location or draw on a photo or show a photo of this?

I have a construction Update video I'm working on. Thanks for the feedback!