TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

If this is indeed a B&M Dive Coaster, that sounds good to me. It’s not my favorite model from B&M, but Valravn was way more fun than I was expecting, despite the restraints. CW already has two fantastic airtime/speed machines, so something smooth and loopy could fit well into the line-up since the only other real looping coasters in the park are an Arrow loop screw and a freakin’ SLC

^^ I think that the above poster may have been reading some of nicman's posts because those were the only somewhat negative posts that I have read.

Or maybe this poster is simply prepping for the usual whiners and complainers that typically make stupid comments when a new coaster or ride announcement isn't what they personally want for themselves at their home park.

Edited by Philrad71

Yeah, I've seen some comments in other places that are pretty negative. Sure, I too may prefer something else, but any kind of B&M sounds good to me. I'm excited to follow the construction, and I'll be pumped to ride no matter what it is.

Whatever they put, I will be happy with of course. Remember the cw community is nothing like CP's. Even if they put a dive coaster, it will be a great ride. But I would just be a little disappointed that they went with that type of coaster instead of something a little more fitting.

Cedar Fair is basically laughing at all of us at this point. And I myself can't help but laugh as well. Just like they did with Cedar Point with Steel Vengeance, THEY'RE ENCOURAGING US TO HYPE UP THIS NEW COASTER! It's playing right into their hands. Sure . . . we might know what company is building it. That's a slip on their end . . . or was it part of the plan? The theme park community is very big, and the more hype a coaster gets before it's even announced is great for Cedar Fair. I don't blame them. We caught a glimpse of the track, and now they're sitting back watching us all over social media as we speculate and drool over a coaster we don't even know anything about.

And this my friends is why I'm proud to be a "theme park junkie."

. . . And my guess is a record breaking wing or dive.

I may regret asking . . . What is more fitting?

For CW a B&M is most fitting due to the high attendance. A dive has good capacity but no the best. I think an invert would be best fitting since it has good capacity and can bring something new to the park since the only looping invert they have now, sucks really bad. I even think an wing coaster would be better fitting since it brings something very unique to the park. CW already has 2 coasters with amazing drops over 200ft, so I really don't see how a huge dive would be very fitting. If they tried something new with the dive (possibly), such as making it less tall, but instead focusing more on staying low to the ground and interacting with the surroundings, that would make it much more fitting to the park, but if its just another record-breaking in height dive that looks like a rct2 premade design, I dont think it would be as fitting as a different one.

I may regret asking . . . What is more fitting?

More fitting would be a 180ft invert/flyer. Or an actual great woodie. Even a launch that's more intense/large than our family coaster Backlit Stunt Coaster would do.

After thinking it over though, I can see why it's a dive.

Invert- too close to a suspended coaster (sameness)

Blitz- would interfere with too many paths during the operating season to make it worth while in that location.

Woodie- just awkward by the water and would block a lot of different views of the park we enjoy

Infinity Coaster- too many supports would get messy and lower capacity

Flier- we still have one, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon.

Possibly a wing, but with all of the twists and turns it may be way too cramped in that area.

CW already has 2 coasters with amazing drops over 200ft, so I really don't see how a huge dive would be very fitting...

Using this enthusiast mentality CP would never have built Valravn or SV since the park already had more then 1 coaster over 200ft tall. It's not a very logical way to look at things.

IF this is a Dive, CF probably looked at the numbers from CP from 2016 and saw favorable information to justify this addition to CW with attendance and revenue increases. I've been on 4 dive coasters and I've loved them all, I think it would be a huge win for the park and another capacity monster to boot (eh).

I've only been to CW twice, but I feel removing the SLC and the torture device next to it to open land for a B&M invert would also be a good option in the future. I doubt we will see a B&M invert come to CW until the SLC is gone/announced to be removed. Of course with the success of the retracking at Morey's and the new trains at SFNE I wouldn't be surprised if the park went that route as well. But that flyer needs to go!

Using this enthusiast mentality CP would never have built Valravn or SV since the park already had more then 1 coaster over 200ft tall. It's not a very logical way to look at things.

I wouldn't call myself an enthusiast, but I am saying what would be more fitting for the park based on my opinion, not necessary the coaster that CF thinks is the most fitting.

But that flyer needs to go!

I agree.

For CW a B&M is most fitting due to the high attendance.

Knott's has among the highest attendance in the chain and they keep putting in low-cap coasters, so I don't know if such things matter to Ouimet.

They are a full year park that is in a dense area... so there is that

Knott's has among the highest attendance in the chain and they keep putting in low-cap coasters, so I don't know if such things matter to Ouimet.

Knotts has barely the highest attendance in the chain compared to wonderland, in fact this was the first year they beat us.

NOW with that being said. Wonderland is open for 5.5 months a year and Knotts is open for 12 months. So basically the same attendance numbers in half the time is insane!!!

Coaster Fanatics seems convinced it's a dive based on the thickness of the spine. I don't see how you can tell though.

We know the approximate width of B&M spines, yes? The Vortex track can be used for scale. Using an unspecified amount of armchair engineering, it's an easy assumption to make.

Knotts has barely the highest attendance in the chain compared to wonderland, in fact this was the first year they beat us.

NOW with that being said. Wonderland is open for 5.5 months a year and Knotts is open for 12 months. So basically the same attendance numbers in half the time is insane!!!

Good point. I didn't think about that.

By the way, I had a thought regarding an earlier comment I made. I said if (and we don't know anything, but if) they are going with 'Ziz' then only a wing or flying coaster would fit with the theme of a sky beast. But then I backtracked and said that if that was case then Leviathan should have been a water coaster or something. So I had a thought. What if both 'Behemoth' and 'Leviathan' do fit their their theme even they are both hyper coasters?

(Yes, I know I keep calling 'Leviathan' and 'Fury 325' and 'Intimidator 305' hyper-gigas because I consider hyper a style not a height, and I'm not going to stop.)

So I went on Google Earth and YouTube and looked at both rides carefully.

'Behemoth', though the shorter of the two is BIG. It is a classic long out and back hyper coaster almost entirely composed of huge airtime hills, with two little helix's at the end. Just what you picture when you think of a huge land beast (some people think Behemoth was a dinosaur).

'Leviathan' is also long and has some big airtime hills, but it is a little more twisty and sinewy, just like a sea serpent.

So a dive coaster could easily fit the theme of sky beast, not only because of the dive elements and the loops and twisty inversions, just like a bird of prey performs while flying, but if it in fact does turn out to be a giga, then it would be the tallest ride in the park and would dominate the sky.