TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

and that certainly affects large scale construction projects. But let's be real - this is a traveling flat ride that can probably be set up in a matter of hours on the fair circuit. Yes it's being installed in a permanent location and the landscaping looks lovely, but there's no reason that shouldn't be able to be done for opening day if they planned properly and actually cared to do so.

No reason it shouldn't be ready for opening day? Are you serious....how about that between Dec-Feb you usually expect there to be a few feet of snow on the ground with the first couple of feet of top soil completely frozen through. Once it gets to March you are into either the last couple of blizzards or a ground thaw where everything is saturated.

Add that to the month of April where there has been rain just about every week, the water table is at its highest, the ground just won't dry out and the news is reporting the "Lake Ontario seems rather high"......I will give CW a pass on not having "a travelling flat ride" quite ready just yet. As I look out the window typing...it is raining again, no doubt a great day to test out the electrical systems.

Pretty sure they "care"...pretty sure they "planned properly". Pretty sure they were hoping they didn't get the amount of snow and rain we have had this winter and spring. "Large scale" has nothing to do with it...I trust them build to the correct code and safety standards expected by Cedar Fair....in conditions that allow them to meet that criteria.

They can't win either way with some people...if they had it open yesterday and then it broke down straightaway, folk would be moaning about that instead.

Delays on the CF refurbished flat rides have come from the place in Europe who was doing the refurbishment before the ride was shipped to the park, so it's not really CW's fault in this case, but has nothing to do with the Canadian weather. Dorneys ride didn't open on time either

Delays on the CF refurbished flat rides have come from the place in Europe who was doing the refurbishment before the ride was shipped to the park, so it's not really CW's fault in this case, but has nothing to do with the Canadian weather. Dorneys ride didn't open on time either

I agree with you on this. The refurbishment is the main thing that delayed the process but, the installation and opening of the rides is not too far behind. Also, the weather was quite mild in comparison to other winters we have seen in previous years. So, the one week delay of Soaring Timbers is no big deal and everyone should stop complaining about the "lateness" of the ride opening as Canada's Wonderland is doing the best they can with the situation they were given to work with!

Getting back on topic here, below are a few highlight photos from my visit during Season Pass Sneak Preview Night at Canada's Wonderland on April 28th. The rest of the photos can be viewed on my blog post.

IMG_0894.JPG After 8 years of The Bat sporting orange supports, the supports were repainted black for the 30th anniversary of The Bat! Now it looks just like it had prior to the 2008 season and 30 years ago!

IMG_0891.JPG Here is Soaring Timbers with its beautiful sign and surrounding landscaping.

IMG_0892.JPG Here is a view of Soaring Timbers which was still under construction. Take note of the the beautiful waterfall feature in front of the ride!

IMG_0926.JPG Here is The Bat thrilling riders in the cool night air!

Construction sighting at the park. Some of the photos didn't turn out the best due to all the foilage blocking the view.

1783971967_Screenshot(92)_LI.thumb.jpg.85365de81d1f1d5cc4eaeb636ff51f03.jpg

The green area's are construction personnel and vehicles, the red area's are bulldozing and dirt movement

1807895616_Screenshot(93)_LI.thumb.jpg.a96682a561b0f765dd2584721c2df008.jpg

the two area's of most activity

2021594499_Screenshot(94)_LI.thumb.jpg.d2f46c8a69f6e7acdd8d89eb6de4d276.jpg

weird area that was opened up and has random objects and non company cars parked.

18261617_10158486935430447_827313901_o.thumb.jpg.c0eb43572e619ea977fabe6d5be39875.jpg

to the right of the storage area a path/ road into the forest has been bulldozed behind splash works

18296910_10158486935390447_468703451_o.thumb.jpg.62ba3b20d5a3885de1e80f8390323c48.jpg

not a great photo, but there's random area's bulldozed in the forest.

18297005_10158486935485447_538029250_o.thumb.jpg.4b8361494b46b5ed7a5857a4af84f416.jpg

non company cars parked which leads me to believe this is an offsite construction project, so maybe coaster or lodging?

18297057_10158486935465447_120320897_o.thumb.jpg.5185feb8114125d495d769ff61586a3f.jpg

bulldozing behind action theater

18297110_10158486935365447_1240652120_o.thumb.jpg.858a0296d2c5a93b53bd63c0fe203253.jpg

opened area with cars parked int he forest between white water canyon and action theater

18297138_10158486935455447_664803701_o.thumb.jpg.5781af87c0140570678b343295681ee1.jpg

2 diggers behind white water canyon

18318592_10158486935370447_1398107339_o.thumb.jpg.bdf8bbed6ab3cf6ee7578a55eee8ef0e.jpg

more bulldozed/ dug up area's along the service road

#Ziz2018

#CPDon'tStealItThisTime

Yeah I highly doubt Cedar Fair will build a $20+ million wing coaster in the same year as two RMCs and a possible Intamin impulse (CGA).

#ZizIsNothingMoreThanARumor

Its not cedar fair that decides, its the individual parks!

#Ziz2018

#CPDon'tStealItThisTime

Yeah I highly doubt Cedar Fair will build a $20+ million wing coaster in the same year as two RMCs and a possible Intamin impulse (CGA).

Actually Cedar Fair does decide. Otherwise Dorney and Valleyfair would have new coasters by now.

Does wonderland waterpark have a lazy river? I always confuse them with wild water kingdom.

Yes, Canada's Wonderland's Splash Works does have a Lazy River. As ArgoZ has mentioned, it has been there since Splash Works' inaugural season, which was 1992. You can view a complete list of Splash Works attractions by visiting Canada's Wonderland's website.

#Ziz2018

#CPDon'tStealItThisTime

How do we know the impulse isn't used/cheap?

Canada's Wonderland's Vice President of Marketing and Sales, Dave Phillips has announced via Twitter that Soaring Timbers will open to the public this Thursday.

Just hoping that the program won't be too neutered, although realistically it'll still be fun because unlike a top scan this is probably a bit harder to make "less fun". Realistically no-one can or should expect a ride like they give on fairgrounds because if you look at one in the travelling videos this ride model sways let's say a bit

Getting back on topic here, below are a few highlight photos from my visit during Season Pass Sneak Preview Night at Canada's Wonderland on April 28th. The rest of the photos can be viewed on my blog post.

IMG_0926.JPG Here is The Bat thrilling riders in the cool night air!

Geez that is a great picture of The Bat!

One unique thing I liked about this ride... the undercarriage was painted red! A little geeky to notice that, but a nice touch. It seemed to run smoother than most boomerangs.

Rode Soaring Timbers Thursday and again on Friday... The sensations are cool, but I really am not a fan and think that a lot of people who will ride this season will agree...

A couple of things to note to back myself up here.

The ride was originally a touring flat, so unlike the other Mondial attractions the park has, this ride was designed specifically for the road and for European fair style operations, where no seat belts and no US/CAN standard "Restraint Checks" would be required. Due to its super compressed seating arrangement to fit on a trailer, the ride ops cannot fit into each row to do the standard check of each seat and this is really not helping with the fact that you are packaged SO TIGHTLY into each row, that you cannot physically move your arms to buckle the seat belt yourself once restraints are down. The ride-ops are then forced to try to climb over the two outer riders to reach the person in the centre to buckle them. This is causing MASSIVE load times of around 10 minutes, and a ride cycle of about a minute... This may get better with continued practice of the ride ops, and once the guest become familiar with the loading procedure, but I don't think we will see load times faster than 5 minutes even when this happens.

I rode twice, and I don't feel the need to ride again; considering that less than a 2 minute walk on the other side of The Fly is very similar, more comfortable and fun ride called Shockwave...

GP that were riding in my gondola said multiple things including "This is stupid, I can't even see anything but the seat in front of me." "Move your fucking arm so I have room" and "I WAITED THAT LONG AND THATS IT!?" and LOTS of "OMG MY SEAT BELT ISNT BUCKLED OMG IM GOING TO DIE I CANT DO IT MY ARMS ARE STUCK I WANT TO GET OFF."

The ride is cool looking, and its always nice to have another flat ride, especially when they can eat a nice chuck of people who would otherwise be waiting in another line... but I just wish that this had been a park model and not a previous touring ride that was designed to fit in a small space. It shows with the rider comfort level and the inability to follow what has become standard procedure for restraint checking at this park...

The landscaping and the ride design is breathtaking, and the park nailed it in that respect. Its just, in my opinion (and we will see over the course of this season what others have to think), that it is not to the standard of what they already have, which is a shame.