TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

^With Leviathan we already knew for certain they were getting a coaster at this point because the announcement had been made. Plenty of land clearing was going on and footers were being worked on by now too. An Internet search brings up pictures from the 18th of August 2011 which showed track was already on site.

Could someone let me know which rides have photos on them? I'm assuming at least Leviathan and Behemoth do but I am clueless about any others

Flight Deck, Behemoth, Stunt Coaster, The Fly, Leviathan, and maybe Guardian and Skyhawk. They take your picture to show your scores on those rides though I'm not sure if you can buy them.

Flight Deck got rid of on-ride photos a couple of years ago. Backlot Stunt Coaster had finally gotten rid of the on-ride photos last year and the on-ride photo building was removed during the 2015/2016 off-season. Behemoth, Ghoster Coaster, Leviathan, The Fly, and Taxi Jam have on-ride photos available for purchase. Wonder Mountain's Guardian and Skyhawk do have on-ride photos, although they are not available for purchase as they're only momentarily featured on a TV at the exit.

Thanks for correcting me, shows how much I pay attention to those photos.

"The capital announcement date is still pending and instead of waiting, we wanted to announce our 2017 Season Pass offer to make sure guests can take advantage of the last two weeks of August with the free ticket and free Fast Lane Plus offer."

So my guess is early September for an announcement date then, wonder what the holdup could be.

1621196753_Screenshot(27).thumb.png.7c68b0094d8e452031dd88c01854b60a.png

Hey at least your not being teased for a planet snoopy expansion. (Sorry too soon?)

What's so bad about a Planet Snoopy expansion?

If you look online, Canada's Wonderland has a massive kids area. It's got so many rides and really looks so beautiful compared to other cedar fair parks. Canada's Wonderland is also the most attended seasonal park. If you go into the kids area on any given day its crazy busy with large families that come in large groups and buy lots of food and do lots of repeat visits and visit the water park and spend there too, where as dry park fans come in groups of 1-2 on average and spend less then large families with kids. A park seeking to invest in families and kids is THE SMARTEST decision a park can make.

I think these smaller cedar fair parks are learning something from Wonderland and basic business knowledge and investing in the right area's to entice repeats visits which results in higher earnings. Families spend more then teenagers and young adults at amusement parks, end of story.

If I remember correctly this work would be next to the water park?

Could it just be the Thunder Falls slide complex being moved from Wildwater Kingdom.

It could be but it's very Mystic Timbers like. It's a very long stretch of path bulldozed in to the forest, much more then needed for a slide complex and way out of play for a complex too

I have hopes for a roller coaster in 2017 but would be happy with a waterpark expansion or new thrill ride. I actually think that there still is a chance that we're getting a rollercoaster in 2017, we have seen land clearing by minebuster earlier this year and we've recently just seen more. The two options that I'm thinking is the lime green track or a minebuster RMC. The park is probably waiting for splashworks to close (September 5) before they start construction. If the track is for a wingrider we know he fast those go up. I don't think we should bet our money on a new coaster but we also shouldn't ignore the possibility.

I'm gonna go ahead and put my money on the same bet as everyone else who is saying waterpark expansion/redesign in 2017 and coaster in 2018. I actually think they are going to market it as a Spash expansion but it will be more of a redesign (we can already see how this has started with the entrance gate adjustment). Maybe a new slide or two, or an expanded wave pool. Expanded kids area to draw the family crowd in, too. I could also see the change rooms and gift shops move behind the new gates to make more room for the 2018 coaster near the old SkyRider spot.

Just my latest theory. Who knows!

Maybe the reason nobody may be getting a new B&M next year is because Cedar Point is getting most of the capital, again. Two hotel renovations and a Sports park has to be very expensive. CW is probably getting waterpark expansion. Which will be nicer than MiA's new garbage can.

Edited by The Geek Mojo

While it's certainly true that revenue is going to Cedar Fair as a company, I highly doubt that Cedar Fair is deliberately pulling large sums of money from certain parks to invest in others. The parks themselves are individuals even though they have a strong corporate identity. Every market has different needs, and it's up to each park to figure out how to meet those needs under the management of the entity that ties them all together.

Also, it's not like Canada's Wonderland is slipping by any standard - its attendance grew between 2014 and 2015 according to the TEA and AECOM, and it's still Cedar Fair's second-best performing park behind Knott's Berry Farm. That's saying a lot considering that Canada's Wonderland operates seasonally. It's also just oh-so-slightly ahead of Cedar Point too!

While it's certainly true that revenue is going to Cedar Fair as a company, I highly doubt that Cedar Fair is deliberately pulling large sums of money from certain parks to invest in others. The parks themselves are individuals even though they have a strong corporate identity. Every market has different needs, and it's up to each park to figure out how to meet those needs under the management of the entity that ties them all together.

Also, it's not like Canada's Wonderland is slipping by any standard - its attendance grew between 2014 and 2015 according to the TEA and AECOM, and it's still Cedar Fair's second-best performing park behind Knott's Berry Farm. That's saying a lot considering that Canada's Wonderland operates seasonally. It's also just oh-so-slightly ahead of Cedar Point too!

Canada's wonderland has slightly higher attendance (and our ticket and seasons passes are much less due to the exchange rate), and also food, so based on those 2 elements alone CW is likely behind Cedar Point in revenue, even though ahead in raw attendance figures.

But Cedar Point has lots of hotels and upcharge experiences that pull them a lot ahead.

Call me crazy, but my gut feeling tells me that there are possibly three RMC projects at Cedar Fair next year. Canada's Wonderland's announcement is still pending, KD's big hype turned into a big let down, and Cedar Point announced the closure of Mean Streak with no news on what's to come. Something tells me that Cedar Fair and RMC are still working out the final kinks in the designs, contracts, etc. and it may be due to RMC's troubled year with Lightning Rod and the recalls. It probably threw Cedar Fair off and they had to compromise with their capital announcements.

Call me crazy, but my gut feeling tells me that there are possibly three RMC projects at Cedar Fair next year. Canada's Wonderland's announcement is still pending, KD's big hype turned into a big let down, and Cedar Point announced the closure of Mean Streak with no news on what's to come. Something tells me that Cedar Fair and RMC are still working out the final kinks in the designs, contracts, etc. and it may be due to RMC's troubled year with Lightning Rod and the recalls. It probably threw Cedar Fair off and they had to compromise with their capital announcements.

Why do you have to post the same bullshit post in 3 different topics???

Why do you have to post the same bullshit post in 3 different topics???

Easy bro! Panties in a wad? What did I ever do to you to deserve all that aggression?

This is my first post. I posted a comment on the Canada's Wonderland Facebook page commenting on the lack of information about when the 2017 announcement was being made. I thought I may get a 'coming soon' comment, but I got a reply very quickly that was more detailed. It said that capital announcement dates vary due to several external factors. I posted this comment on August 20th, the same day Kings Dominion made their announcement.

My thinking is that if we were getting the same thing as another park then there should not be any unique external factors that could not have been sorted out by now, thus there may be a chance that we are getting something unique or something needing more logistics to be successfully completed. I have been leaning towards a Hotel Breakers kind of hotel being built instead of a coaster. If that is the case, I will see that as a real vote of confidence in Canada's Wonderland and indicative of future development in the park. It could mean longer lines but that means more revenues and more revenues mean more incentive for Cedar Fair to invest here in the future. It would also make sense to do this, pardon the phrase, unsexy type of project for Canada's Wonderland in a year when we can't point to another park and say 'why are they getting a and we're not'. That's my two cents worth.

I know next year most likely isn't the coaster year for us because there hasn't really been any big teasers. But what if.... just what if.... they don't want to tease, and just want to completely shock and surprise everyone (Still tho, $$$ is on 2018 Invert or Wingrider)

Well I am actually a tiny bit confident in getting a new SOMETHING next year. New footers and bulldozing near skyrider. It might not be a B&M or even any coaster, but even a good flatride I will be more than happy. I came into this year expecting nothing, so anything should surprise me.

I know next year most likely isn't the coaster year for us because there hasn't really been any big teasers. But what if.... just what if.... they don't want to tease, and just want to completely shock and surprise everyone (Still tho, $$$ is on 2018 Invert or Wingrider)

Well I am actually a tiny bit confident in getting a new SOMETHING next year. New footers and bulldozing near skyrider. It might not be a B&M or even any coaster, but even a good flatride I will be more than happy. I came into this year expecting nothing, so anything should surprise me.

Wait... There are footers and bulldozing in Skyrider's land now?

The other potential thing that could be happenng is a Plants vs Zombies or Mass Effect ride. I am sure this has been mentioned before so I am sorry for any redundancy. I saw the P vs Z version at Carowinds this summer and my family liked it. It was brutally hot at Carowinds with no lines so we 'rode' P vs Z like ten times. It was air conditioned and it fit nicely into the theatre space as well. The other day I was at Canada's Wonderland in line to watch the Robinson Crusoe 3D movie and I mentioned to the operator that I had done the P vs Z ride and that it would fit nicely in that space but there was no reaction. I tried. Still, the theatre is there and it could be converted to this type of ride that adds some breadth to the offerings. I would think that P vs Z would be the one rather than Mass Effect given that the theatre is in the kids' area.

Of course, that still doesn't answer any questions about the Skyrider plot. I took a look at the plot last Sunday and didn't see anything different from previous visits.

Wait... There are footers and bulldozing in Skyrider's land now?

THERE IS ZERO BULLDOZING AND FOOTERS.

There is land clearing behind Black Hole in the forest and I have a feeling that's for a future hotel breakers. Wonderland has said they take their tree's very seriously and try to remove as little as possible and they have a ton of land free for water park expansion so my only guess for removing a whole forest is Hotel Breakers or camp ground.