TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

@jtstonge.

Just out of curiosity, did any of you from the engineering project also take part in the ontario coaster design competition a few years back? I believe UW and Ryerson (sorry forget which school you mentioned in the first post) took part.

One of my partners and myself took part in the Ryerson Invitational Thrill Design Competition that was hosted by Ryerson University in 2014. There were a number of components to the competition, including a roller coaster design challenge that was won by our team at the University of Waterloo. The overall competition was won by Drexel University in the United States. I'm not sure if this is the same competition that you are referring to, but there was an article written about it on Coaster101.

Just googled it... Yup, that's the same one.

The invert you guys made there has a great layout too..., Would be great to see something like that replace Skyrider

I wish cedar fair would bring back intamin, I think an intamin coaster would be the best fit for canadas wonderland. Better than a new b&m. Does cedar fair only install b&m coasters right now?

Does cedar fair only install b&m coasters right now?

We have no idea, and this Cedar Fair - Intamin rumor may or may not have any actual basis in reality but they've worked with other companies very recently like Mack for Coast Rider and GCI for the Ghostrider revamp and for Gold Striker.

I wish cedar fair would bring back intamin, I think an intamin coaster would be the best fit for canadas wonderland. Better than a new b&m. Does cedar fair only install b&m coasters right now?

Same

While we have 2 b&ms, we don't really have any of the other b&m types.

But I would be MUCH happier if we got pretty much any intamin over a B&M. Save for a REALLY good flyer , I'll take an intamin accelerator, intamin blitz, even an intamin-mega lite over any B&M. Although I'm not sure CW could handle a ride like that.

^What do you mean not handle. Intmain blitz or accelerator would be the best fit. A megalite is not a good fit for cw. Even though in my opinion b&m is better than intamin, intamin is the second best coaster manufacturer that delivers intense rides. B&m is good for a mix of everything but does not always deliver as intense rides as most intamin onces. Just look at maverick, probably more intense than most coasters and look at it's size.

Except that intamin does not always make reliable rides. Such as most accelerator coasters break down all the time.

Edited by nicman

Did B&M show or tell you how the main spine or box section was manufactured? Im wondering if they used a speciality brake or cnc brake to put the creases in.

I haven't discussed fabrication with B&M and I'm honestly not very familiar with the processes that are used to manufacture the track. All I can tell you is that B&M's are manufactured by Clermont Steel Fabricators in Ohio and they have 1 Cincinnati brake and 1 Wysong CNC brake.

B&M has keep all their track manufacturing processes a secret. It would shock me if they gave away that process or minor details of it to ANYONE.

My guess is they've might have outlined what machines they use and maybe a very abridged summary of the manufacturing but surely not any details, correct? If they told you more then that must've been omething else and quite an experience.

I was just wondering if it was still a secret. My guess is for the main spine they cut out all 4 sides seperate on a plasma cutter then run each peice through a cnc brake. Then weld all for sides together down the corners. Then add the ties. Now that the rails arent shaped perfectly you can use the main spine like a jig and pull the rail in tight with the spine. So no heating or distorting the rail make for a smoother ride.

I cant tell if the spine is welded down the corners though.

I hope Cedar Point/ Wonderland have a good experience with Gerstlauer and build one of these:

img_1444_4.jpg

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1707132#p1707132

thanks barge84 for trip report

That would be a terrible choice for the 2 parks you just mentioned. They both need to add rides with much higher capacity than that. Sure the ride would be fun but capacity would be disastrous.

^What do you mean not handle. Intmain blitz or accelerator would be the best fit.

What's a blitz coaster?

A Blitz coaster is manufactured by Intamin. They are usually a somewhat compact coaster that have an LSM launch to propel the train. Here's a list of Intamin Blitz coasters here.

^Looks great. What course was that for?

In our final year of studies, we're required to complete a year-long design project like this that addresses a real-world engineering problem. It's not a component of a regular course, but the project carries a weight equivalent to 2 regular engineering courses. We have to submit numerous reports and give presentations throughout the duration of the project.

I just wanted to go back a couple of pages and tell you what an amazing job it looks like you guys did. Kudos!!!!

David

^What do you mean not handle. Intmain blitz or accelerator would be the best fit.

What's a blitz coaster?

A Blitz coaster is manufactured by Intamin. They are usually a somewhat compact coaster that have an LSM launch to propel the train. Here's a list of Intamin Blitz coasters here.

Pretty sure he's joking. Either that or AJ resets every so often

Especially because blitz don't use hydrolic launch system, lsm's are more reliable.

Cheetah Hunt and Maverick are in no way, shape or form reliable. Especially Maverick. Maverick is much more unreliable than most rocket coasters. Kingda Ka and TTD are the only 2 I can think of that break down even close to as often as Maverick does.

Then again we have no idea what causes the rides to break down so much. It may not be the launch system. They all run a ton of trains and have a ton of sensors and components that play into it.

Especially because blitz don't use hydrolic launch system, lsm's are more reliable.

Cheetah Hunt and Maverick are in no way, shape or form reliable. Especially Maverick. Maverick is much more unreliable than most rocket coasters. Kingda Ka and TTD are the only 2 I can think of that break down even close to as often as Maverick does.

Then again we have no idea what causes the rides to break down so much. It may not be the launch system. They all run a ton of trains and have a ton of sensors and components that play into it.

I thought cheetah hunt was pretty reliable? Every time I have been to Busch Gardens Tampa it has never been down. But Maverick is consistently down at least once a day, and even sometimes during the early entry (that really sucks)

What park is that coaster in? I see a WindSeeker in the upper right corner.

Adventureland in Iowa. It's a little tiny Windseeker. It's adorable. I just want to reach out and pet it.

I thought cheetah hunt was pretty reliable? Every time I have been to Busch Gardens Tampa it has never been down. But Maverick is consistently down at least once a day, and even sometimes during the early entry (that really sucks)

It's much more reliable than Maverick is but easily the most unreliable ride at BGT besides Falcon's Fury (the other Intamin lol).

On the other hand, based on Thunderbird, b&m launch coasters are pretty reliable. Even though an intamin launch coaster would deliver a better ride experience, a b&M launch coaster would keep the coaster reliable which is a huge factor at cw.

I often walk out of the park and think: Wow, that was a really reliable coaster and it had great capacity too!

I don't mean to sound like the poor little rich kid who says "gee whiz, all i get to ride are B&M's I'm so hard done by", but i would like a twisty loopy coaster with lots of cool elements and inversions that was designed after the discovery of the heartline!

I actually got stuck on maverick for an hour a few weeks ago and the ride was totally worth it! I would do it again in a heartbeat.