TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

I just watched that throwback Vortex commercial, and I found something rather irksome in it. It's the same thing that has annoyed me about Canada's Wonderland commercials for years: that most of the coasters featured in them aren't at the park. Maybe it's in the fine print or something but if I see these coasters featured in the commercial then go to the park to experience them, only to realize it was false advertising, I'd be pretty annoyed.

here's another example from recently, magnum xl 200 (I think) and some boomerang clone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE-OpATkdXE

oh well, it's not like they would have expanded there anyway. Canada's wonderland is a pretty small park, there wont be much room to expand in the next upcoming years.

I'm not too sure I would say 330 acres is small. I would consider that to be the size of a medium or large park. Anyways, that land was used for overflow parking in the 1980's when there used to be concerts held at Kingswood Music Theatre.

Google directions also says that SFNE is a little bit shorter drive (plus the fun of crossing the border) from Montreal than Montreal to Canada's Wonderland. "Coaster Capital of the Second-largest Nation on Earth" sounds better than "second-tier Six Flags park".

I just watched that throwback Vortex commercial, and I found something rather irksome in it. It's the same thing that has annoyed me about Canada's Wonderland commercials for years: that most of the coasters featured in them aren't at the park. Maybe it's in the fine print or something but if I see these coasters featured in the commercial then go to the park to experience them, only to realize it was false advertising, I'd be pretty annoyed.

here's another example from recently, magnum xl 200 (I think) and some boomerang clone:

I thought Canada's Wonderland has a Boomerang clone. The Bat?

I thought Canada's Wonderland has a Boomerang clone. The Bat?

Yes, Canada's Wonderland does have a Vekoma Boomerang known as The Bat. But, it isn't green and purple, as it is red and orange.

Yes, that is an airfield. It was the Maple Airport that operated from 1955 until 1987 when it closed.

Fascinating, thankyou John Lloyd. Very interesting how the park AND the area round it has evolved in the time period.

It shows Cedar Fair in a good light actually to see how much THEY have done with the park in a relatively short time period in relation to how long the park has been open.

Yes, that is an airfield. It was the Maple Airport that operated from 1955 until 1987 when it closed.

Fascinating, thankyou John Lloyd. Very interesting how the park AND the area round it has evolved in the time period.

It shows Cedar Fair in a good light actually to see how much THEY have done with the park in a relatively short time period in relation to how long the park has been open.

You're welcome! I enjoy sharing the history of Canada's Wonderland! I hope you'll enjoy more of what is to come as the 2016 season progresses! It's kind of hard to believe that this June marks 10 years since Cedar Fair acquired the Paramount Parks! Cedar Fair has done quite a bit in those 10 years! What I really like is how they have been adding historical features to the park over the past five years. I hope there's more of it in the future as it's a great touch!

Your the Canada's wonderland know-it-all, that should be your custom title. Go ask the title fairy.

I didn't know Canada's Wonderland is as young as it is.

Yes, many people are quite surprised by that. It was the third park to be built by Taft Broadcasting as Kings Island (opened 1972) and Kings Dominion (opened 1975) came before. But also in 1975, Taft Broadcasting had acquired Carowinds making it their third park even though they hadn't built it as it had opened in 1975. After Canada's Wonderland opened in 1981, Taft Broadcasting went to Australia to open up Australia's Wonderland in late 1985. But, earlier that year, Taft Broadcasting had acquired California's Great America which had opened in 1976. Unfortunately, after Taft Broadcasting sold Australia's Wonderland in 1996 to Sunway Group (owners of Sunway Lagoon in Malaysia, they decided to close the park in April of 2004. But luckily, the Taft Broadcasting legacy still exists throughout the parks here in North America that they previously owned!

funny thing is that we still have the same construction status as last year,land clearing around minebuster, did anyone notice anything else recently besides more construction trailers?

Has wonderland/ cedar fair cancelled friend passes/ flashpass discounts for platinum passholders?

I went to look them up and couldn't find any info about them on the website. They had a passholder portal before that seems to be gone.

last year i could buy up to 4 friend passes per day for $22.

Has wonderland/ cedar fair cancelled friend passes/ flashpass discounts for platinum passholders?

I went to look them up and couldn't find any info about them on the website. They had a passholder portal before that seems to be gone.

last year i could buy up to 4 friend passes per day for $22.

You're referring to Season Pass Holder Bring a Friend tickets. From what I've heard, they will become available but only on select days unlike the past couple of years where you could purchase them any day. I'm hoping this ticket is available again this year for any day from May through Labour Day as that is how most of my friends were able to go with me.

EDIT: They just became available today. Click here to see all ticket options the park has to offer. It appears though that they'll be available for $29.99 (plus tax) each.

thanks this is what i was looking for.

Last year i took friends several times. It helps me justify getting the platinum pass in the first place.

I emailed the park on the contact us page yesterday and didn't hear back from them. i wonder if that is why it is up today???

thanks this is what i was looking for.

Last year i took friends several times. It helps me justify getting the platinum pass in the first place.

I emailed the park on the contact us page yesterday and didn't hear back from them. i wonder if that is why it is up today???

Possibly, but they may have been planning to anyways. Also, I just have a regular season pass and can get the season pass bring a friend tickets. I would like to get a platinum pass when I plan on travelling a bit more.