TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Here's my travel guide that I made last year, may include some usefull stuff:

It is a bit long, kinda like the whole travel guide

When you are outside of the park, one of the best things to do is to go to downtown Toronto. There are several things to do there like if you like hockey, you could go to the hockey hall of fame museum or you got to the CN Tower. The CN tower is one of my favorite things to do in Toronto because not only can you go up one of the tallest buildings in the world but you can also (if you have the nerve) do the CN Tower edge walk. And there is also the Toronto zoo and a few other museum's and stuff like that. If you are willing to travel around a hour to an hour and a half from Canada's Wonderland, you can go to Niagara Falls which is pretty sweet. One of my favorite things to do in Niagara Falls, is Marineland. Even though it only has one real coaster (which is a pretty awesome AD coaster) there are several unique things about this park. Like the have a topple tower flat ride (which was probably my favorite ride there) and the tallest triple tower drop ride. But one of the main things about Marineland is the animals of course. Anyway Marineland is a pretty decent park and the lines are not that long either, so I would recommend it. Anyway back to Canada's Wonderland. First off all Canada's Wonderland has some pretty big lines, in fact it is the most visited seasonal park in North America. So if you go to Canada's Wonderland on a sunny summer day, FastLane is a must. But it really depends on when you go, like if you go in may or early June when everybody is still in school, then the lineup's will be decent. But if you are going during summer vacation there will be a lot of people, with one exception. Last summer I went when it was forecasting rain in the afternoon and the lineup's were practically empty. And the best thing about it is that it did not start raining till about 5 pm so I got to really enjoy the day. One other thing, try to get there as early as possible and start riding the good rides like Behemoth and Leviathan right when you get there. Try to bring your own lunch because the food there is really expensive, but the catch is that you have to eat it outside the park because you are not allowed to bring your own food in the park (you probably already know that) . Try to eat lunch a bit later than everyone else like at 2 pm so you will have shorter lines for the rides at lunch time. After around 4-6 pm, the lines will start getting shorter because a lot of people will go home. Now for the rides, Behemoth and Leviathan are obviously the best rides in the park, and when you ride Behemoth make sure you sit in the back. Wild Beast is pretty rough but they are retracting it so next season it might not be so rough. Vortex is decent, and Wonder Mountains Guardian is a fun shooting dark ride. Mighty Canadian Minebuster is rough for some people, but I would try out anyway. Backlot Stunt coaster is a pretty good Family ride. Time Warp and Flight Deck are a , I would not recommend them unless you like getting your head smashed. The flat rides are pretty unique like Sledge Hammer and Shockwave. Anyway if you came in two years the would probably have there new coaster. And finally, you must eat a Funnel cake, they are sooo delicious.

Anyway I hope this helps.

I'm going to Canada's Wonderland in July. Will a second day be necessary to ride all the good rides?

It all depends on the weather and what day you visit. If you visit on a weekday, you'll get on many rides, but if you visit on a weekend in July, you may not get on many rides unless you purchase Fastlane. But, if you're coming from a far distance, you may want to consider making a two-day trip to the park, that's if you can, as then for sure you would be able to ride everything you want to. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Today marks 35 years since Canada's Wonderland first opened its gates on Saturday, May 23rd, 1981. Below is the park's very first commercial that aired on TV stations across the GTA and Ontario.

Although many things have changed, such as rides being removed and different owners over the years, one thing that has remained the same are visitors of all ages making long lasting memories from their day of fun-filled thrills and entertainment. Since the opening of the park by the original owners Taft Broadcasting (later KECO), to the acquisition of Paramount in 1992, to 2006 when Cedar Fair acquired the park, some thrills have stayed the same for the past 35 years. Let’s take a moment to recognize all the rides that exist at the park today that have been thrilling and entertaining millions of visitors over the past 35 years!

-Dragon Fire (Dragon Fyre, 1981-1996)

-Spinovator (Quixote’s Kettles, 1981-1996)

-Wild Beast (Wilde Beast, 1981-1996)

-Nightmares (Wilde Knight Mares, 1981-1996)

-The Rage (Viking’s Rage, 1981-1996)

-Krachenwagen

-Klockwerks (Klockwurker, 1981-1991)

-Orbiter (Sol Loco, 1981-2001)

-Swing of the Century (Swing of Siam, 1981-1988)

-Antique Carousel (Originally operated at Palisades Park in NJ from 1928-1971)

-Mighty Canadian Minebuster

-Character Carousel (Hanna-Barbera-Go-Round, 1981-2009)

-Swan Lake (Happy Landing, 1981-1997)

-Frequent Flyers (Balloon Race, 1981-1997)

-Ghoster Coaster

-Joe Cool’s Dodgem School (Boulder Bumpers, 1981-2002)

-Jokey’s Jalopies (Wonder Tour, 1981-1997)

-Kidzville Station (Scooby Choo, 1981-1997)

-Snoopy’s Space Race (Scooby Ville Rocketport, 1981-2000; Jetson’s Rocketport 2001-2009)

-Snoopy Vs Red Baron (Aerofield, 1981-2009)

-Thunder Run (Blauer Enzian, 1981-1985; then it was relocated into Wonder Mountain for the 1986 season)

Canada's Wonderland 1981 Park Map:

Photo Credit: ThemeparkCanuck

Since the first day, there have been many notable rides and attractions that have been added and removed throughout the years that has made Canada's Wonderland what it is today. Let's take a moment to remember some notable and memorable rides that have been removed throughout the years.

-Pharaoh's Eye (1981-1987)

-Smurf Cave (1984-1992)

-Zumba Flume (1981-1994)

-Snail Trail (1981-1996; Boo Boo's Buggies, 1981-1983; Lazy's Snail Trail, 1984-1992)

-Bedrock Dock (1981-1999)

-Bayern's Curve (1981-2000)

-Racing Rivers (1988-2000/2001)

-Hot Rock Raceway (1981-2002)

-Flintstone's Flyboys (1981-2002)

-Bedrock Aquarium (1981-2002; Salt Water Circus 1981-199?)

-The Fury (1981-2003; Shiva's Fury, 1981-2001)

-Great Whale of China (1981-2003)

-Jet Scream (1990-2010)

-SkyRider (1985-2014)

Many of these notable attractions from years gone by are what have drawn so many visitors to Canada's Wonderland throughout the years. Also, many new and still existing, thrilling and dynamic attractions are what have also pulled in the crowds throughout the years. This year's additions are expected to attract more visitors to the park as many attractions in the past have done and still continue to do so!

Since today marks 35 years since Canada's Wonderland opened for the first time, what are your memories of the park? Be sure to share your memories and photos below! Here's to another 35 years of thrills and memories!

This is when it was being built, look at all that farmland, now all the houses are shoved up right up into the gate. Was much better before all of that development! Looks like freaking the middle of mexico city (second pic). kinda

Look now:

I miss the "from only 10.95" as opposed to 7 of those "easy payments".

It's always so cool to look at how things change. Thanks putting that post together.

No problem, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I enjoy Canada's Wonderland history! Be sure to check back later for some more retro photos!

I love that top picture. How times have changed.

In 1981 I was in primary school in Scotland...probably not even realising that Canada was a country.

One question I have...is that an airfield in the top right of the first picture? Would be interested to know if it is...when it closed and whether it affected the park in the early days.

Nowadays when there are fireworks during the celebrations at Wonderland, we always get them notified in aviation briefings for YYZ (ie they can't be above a certain height due to inbound and outbounds to Toronto).

Anyway great picture and post before that.

As I had mentioned it in the "Say Something Random" Thread, I would like to announce it here! Visitors at Canada's Wonderland have now been feeling the grip of Vortex for 25 years now! Vortex is Canada's only Suspended Swinging coaster that was manufactured by Arrow Dynamics. Vortex opened in May of 1991 and has been thrilling riders ever since! This suspended swinging coaster features the highest drop than any other suspended swinging coaster at 85 feet. After the train climbs the lift hill, the train then descends down the 85 foot drop, and reaches speeds up to 90 km/h (56 mph) while it maneuvers 2,361 feet of track!

Vortex's track design was quite popular, that Arrow Dynamics installed a clone at Canada's Wonderland's sister park, Kings Island for the 1993 season where it is known as The Bat since 2014(Previously Top Gun and Flight Deck).

Vortex at Canada's Wonderland has always had the same/ similar track colour but, the train colours have changed a few times. Below are photos of Vortex's trains featuring different colour schemes that were used throughout the years.

Vortex train colours from 1991-1999 (?)

Photo Credit: Loopyguy

Vortex train colours from 2000-2010:

Photo Credit: Theme Park Insider

Vortex train colours since 2011:

GEDC1740.thumb.JPG.a974ca45b0176eb000c6348c29970e0a.JPG

Photo Credit: John Brooks (aka Johnlloyd)

Now, since you've had a look at the different colour schemes Vortex's trains featured, why don't you have a look at the commercial that aired on TV in the GTA and surrounding area in 1991?

I love that top picture. How times have changed.

In 1981 I was in primary school in Scotland...probably not even realising that Canada was a country.

One question I have...is that an airfield in the top right of the first picture? Would be interested to know if it is...when it closed and whether it affected the park in the early days.

Nowadays when there are fireworks during the celebrations at Wonderland, we always get them notified in aviation briefings for YYZ (ie they can't be above a certain height due to inbound and outbounds to Toronto).

Anyway great picture and post before that.

Yes, that is an airfield. It was the Maple Airport that operated from 1955 until 1987 when it closed. You can read a little more about it here. On a side note, there was a beacon that sat atop Wonder Mountain for a few years so air planes wouldn't hit it. That beacon was removed once the airport closed. Looking at this postcard from 1981 below, you can see the red beacon shining atop Wonder Mountain to alert planes from coming too close.

544372259_CanadasWonderlandpostcard.thumb.png.833907abd0cacdad12bdc4c484d7128c.png

^Then what land did they sell? Or did Canada's wonderland own that big patch of land.

Canada's Wonderland did own that land but, they sold it to the city. I believe it was either for taxation or debt reasons.

I just watched that throwback Vortex commercial, and I found something rather irksome in it. It's the same thing that has annoyed me about Canada's Wonderland commercials for years: that most of the coasters featured in them aren't at the park. Maybe it's in the fine print or something but if I see these coasters featured in the commercial then go to the park to experience them, only to realize it was false advertising, I'd be pretty annoyed.