TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

I quite enjoy the final helix on Mighty Canadian Minebuster. I don't find it rough at all. But, we all tolerate various levels of roughness differently.

nope. wrong.

I don't think your point is valid. Maybe if you elaborate on it a bit more I could understand your reasoning a little better?

calypso sucks, plus it's dangerous. They also went to court because they underpaid my friends' dad who constructed most of it.

While I too have heard my fair share of horror stories out of that park (I know of people turning down lifeguard jobs there because it's so bad), and I agree that calypso isn't perfect, there's no denying how good the ride lineup is. There's nothing in the area that's remotely similar in terms of the massive selection they have there. The only other waterpark I've visited that even comes close would be the Edmonton mall's waterpark (which wasn't run much better than calypso to be honest).

As aside note, I'd actually say the dumbest decision calypso ever made was choosing to go with a slide manufacturer that was across the country from them (whitewater), when they literally had one just down the road from the park (proslide)... Whitewater must've given them one hell of a deal.

I'll definitely give splash works a huge thumbs up for operations/guest services though. Personally, I think the reason I didn't notice how bad calypso was on my visit (I'd only heard the horror stories after I'd told people that I went there over the summer) was because, unfortunately, "sub-par at best" operations is what I've come to expect from most waterparks.... And quite frankly, most parks period, here in Canada. Wonderland just seems to have a level of customer service that most parks I've visited can't match.

The worst part is that most carnivals I've been to have better operations and friendlier staff than a lot of permindbt parks I've visited.

...Maybe I should change my username to CanadianMidwayFan.

I quite enjoy the final helix on Mighty Canadian Minebuster. I don't find it rough at all. But, we all tolerate various levels of roughness differently.

nope. wrong.

I don't think your point is valid. Maybe if you elaborate on it a bit more I could understand your reasoning a little better?

I have been riding minebuster for 30 years, and have some really fond memories of it. I rode it a few times last year and found that the front car was the only one i could sit in. The out and back is fun with a bit of rattling around that gives it the 'vintage feel'.

The biggest problem is the Helix. When running better it was awesome coming flying through a tunnelled downward spiral before flying up into the final brakerun. Today the helix is so bashed up your cars spend their time bashing left and right. if you sit in a car further back, the car in front pulls you back and forth and you bash the sides and then the one behind pulls you a different way and you just wind up smashing around. Lateral city. This also takes away from the speed as it it spends all it's energy bashing you around.

so when you say " I don't find it rough at all."

my only answer can be: nope. wrong.

On a positive note, the Wildebeast is much better with the repairs they have done this year and last. It had gotten brutally unrideable and needed work. The first drop that turns as you go down is a lot of fun after repairs, and this years repairs are great as well. You go much faster through the course when you are not rattling around. It reminds me why i really liked it in the first place, and at the rate they are going, in 3-5 years it will be awesome.

nope. wrong.

I have been riding minebuster for 30 years, and have some really fond memories of it. I rode it a few times last year and found that the front car was the only one i could sit in. The out and back is fun with a bit of rattling around that gives it the 'vintage feel'.

The biggest problem is the Helix. When running better it was awesome coming flying through a tunnelled downward spiral before flying up into the final brakerun. Today the helix is so bashed up your cars spend their time bashing left and right. if you sit in a car further back, the car in front pulls you back and forth and you bash the sides and then the one behind pulls you a different way and you just wind up smashing around. Lateral city. This also takes away from the speed as it it spends all it's energy bashing you around.

so when you say " I don't find it rough at all."

my only answer can be: nope. wrong.

On a positive note, the Wildebeast is much better with the repairs they have done this year and last. It had gotten brutally unrideable and needed work. The first drop that turns as you go down is a lot of fun after repairs, and this years repairs are great as well. You go much faster through the course when you are not rattling around. It reminds me why i really liked it in the first place, and at the rate they are going, in 3-5 years it will be awesome.

It's all a matter of opinion so, no one's opinion is "wrong". I sit near the center of the train when riding Mighty Canadian Minebuster so, it may not be too bad of a ride experience. I just don't have a problem with a helix and that's my opinion. Maybe we'll see Mighty Canadian Minebuster get re-tracked like Wild Beast has been over the past couple of off-seasons.

Right now I think that canada's wonderland will either recieve a rmc or a dive or an invert. But I am really thinking a rmc retrack of mine buster because of all the work around there. A dive would be good because it's good in small places to interact with the elements of the park. an invert would be ok but they already have flight deck. all they need to do is give flight deck those shoulder restrains to make it a decent coaster.

My friend and I just went last weekend.

MINEBUSTER NEEDS TO BE RMCd

There is about 1 noticeable airtime hill right after the drop, other than that the ride is uneventful. Wild beast is better than it in every way. an RMC could also interact with the water park like minebuster does as well. Imagine a RMC zero g stall going over one of the other water slides, that would be awesome.

And here I thought I was the only one with the opinion that Wildabeaste (I'll never call it Wild Beast) is better then Minebuster, even though that track is often regarded as one of the worst out there.

Random question... what does "RMC" stand for?

Random question... what does "RMC" stand for?

Royal Military College in Kingston?

actually: Rocky Mountain Construction. They make new 'wooden' hybrid coasters with an ibeam track and poly wheels ie Goliath at 6 flags Great america. They also renovate and update older ones ie collosus at 6 flags magic mountain.

1. I would love to see an RMC more than any other guy, but I personally don't think it will happen. The majority of Minebuster is locked by Splash Works, it would be hard for RMC to really change the ride in that area. However we do have that land clearing around Behemoth. If an RMC were to occur, this would entail entirely new supports/major expansion into that area. THUS, we would pretty much be splitting Minebuster in two, one new section where the land is currently cleared, and a "very similar to old Minebuster" section in and around Splash Works. Mind you I'm not one to doubt what RMC can do. Just some thoughts.

2. I'm heading up to the park on Thursday, and would really prefer to dodge the $20 parking fee. Anyone know some secret parking lots in the area? If I parked at Vaughn Mills from 11-6 would I be ticketed/towed? Willing to walk around 20-30 minutes for it. Thanks!

1. I would love to see an RMC more than any other guy, but I personally don't think it will happen. The majority of Minebuster is locked by Splash Works, it would be hard for RMC to really change the ride in that area. However we do have that land clearing around Behemoth. If an RMC were to occur, this would entail entirely new supports/major expansion into that area. THUS, we would pretty much be splitting Minebuster in two, one new section where the land is currently cleared, and a "very similar to old Minebuster" section in and around Splash Works. Mind you I'm not one to doubt what RMC can do. Just some thoughts.

2. I'm heading up to the park on Thursday, and would really prefer to dodge the $20 parking fee. Anyone know some secret parking lots in the area? If I parked at Vaughn Mills from 11-6 would I be ticketed/towed? Willing to walk around 20-30 minutes for it. Thanks!

You should be fine parking at the mall.... so many of the cars are there from 11am to 6pm anyway (employees and customers alike).

I know of some people that park off of Norwood Avenue (across from the drop-off lane) on the street and come out every few hours to move the vehicle a block away or so. Another poster said that they spoke with a parking officer there and they even said that works. I think parking at the mall is a safe bet though.

Yesterday I was able to head out to the park and I had quite the experience on SkyHawk. I got it flipping with quite a ton of vigor. Once I got off the ride, my SO pointed out that I had red dots all over my face. Turns out the centripetal force had pushed enough blood into my head to burst many blood vessels in my face, similar to red freckles. I believe its harmless and will revert back to normal over the next few days, however I was just interested if anyone else had heard/experienced anything similar.

Yesterday I was able to head out to the park and I had quite the experience on SkyHawk. I got it flipping with quite a ton of vigor. Once I got off the ride, my SO pointed out that I had red dots all over my face. Turns out the centripetal force had pushed enough blood into my head to burst many blood vessels in my face, similar to red freckles. I believe its harmless and will revert back to normal over the next few days, however I was just interested if anyone else had heard/experienced anything similar.

How intense would you say the ride is compared to bother flats at the park?

Is it more intense, like shockwave, or alittle gentler, like orbiter?

How intense would you say the ride is compared to bother flats at the park?

Is it more intense, like shockwave, or alittle gentler, like orbiter?

Out of the three times I've rode Skyhawk so far, I would have to say it has a similar intensity rating as Orbiter, but could be considered intense as Shockwave if you did some continuous flipping!

I think what Canada's wonderland should get in 2017 is an rmc like lighting rod at dollywood for minebuster and new trains for flight deck. That would be perfect. Who cares if the coaster does not have to do with ziz anyway. Even though probably won't happen.

I think what Canada's wonderland should get in 2017 is an rmc like lighting rod at dollywood for minebuster and new trains for flight deck. That would be perfect. Who cares if the coaster does not have to do with ziz anyway. Even though probably won't happen.

I don't think any park needs a roller coaster that will never open.

I don't think any park needs a roller coaster that will never open.

Why wouldn't it open?

Nevermind, I know why now.

Edited by nicman

Speaking of Shockwave, I was able to get an edge seat on an empty arm the past time I was there. Anyone else notice that the ride becomes much more intense on an empty arm? Flipping was performed faster and with more strength than ever before. It makes sense, less mass on the arm = lower moment of inertia = easier to rotate. Anyone else notice anything along the lines of this?

And update on my last post: Thankfully the red freckles are now nearly unnoticeable. I for one enjoy the fact that it took a few tries to get Skyhawk flipping, gives the ride an element of challenge and makes you want to ride again. Usually every cycle would have 1-2 people flipping. However, I can see how the ride can be underwhelming if unable to flip. Furthermore, SO has short arms, and complained at how to fully extend the wings one way or another, her arms would hit against the restraint. Thankfully being 6 feet and lanky I dont have that problem

Speaking of Shockwave, I was able to get an edge seat on an empty arm the past time I was there. Anyone else notice that the ride becomes much more intense on an empty arm? Flipping was performed faster and with more strength than ever before. It makes sense, less mass on the arm = lower moment of inertia = easier to rotate. Anyone else notice anything along the lines of this?

And update on my last post: Thankfully the red freckles are now nearly unnoticeable. I for one enjoy the fact that it took a few tries to get Skyhawk flipping, gives the ride an element of challenge and makes you want to ride again. Usually every cycle would have 1-2 people flipping. However, I can see how the ride can be underwhelming if unable to flip. Furthermore, SO has short arms, and complained at how to fully extend the wings one way or another, her arms would hit against the restraint. Thankfully being 6 feet and lanky I dont have that problem

Yea during a more off-day my friend and I got to be on the edge seats with no one on the 3 inner seats, we had a pretty intense experience. We also once had a group of "guests of exceptional size" sitting next to us and the ride was boring.

Skyhawk is great because it encourages re-rides. My friend and I got probably 179 degrees upside down, I could NOT get it to flip! I think the problem is when I get inverted and stall, I forget to swing back in the other direction to actually invert. Anyways, we rode it 4 or 5 times and there is still a massive incentive for us to ride it again to get it to flip.

I think the ride would actually be better just swinging back and forth rather than flipping, because you get some great stall time inverted rather than continuously spinning, but I want to be able to flip at least once so I know HOW to.