TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Sorry if I am not understanding everything but whats with the hype of the Flying Eagles and the enthusiast community? It just looks like a kids ride to me. What is the reason we are so interested in this?

Skyhawk looks its gonna be pretty good, at CW we have quite a good flat selection now.

Sorry if I am not understanding everything but whats with the hype of the Flying Eagles and the enthusiast community? It just looks like a kids ride to me. What is the reason we are so interested in this?

Skyhawk looks its gonna be pretty good, at CW we have quite a good flat selection now.

Well, Flying Eagles can be a very fun ride if you know how to use the paddle correctly. I wouldn't consider them to be a kids ride but, more of a family ride because anyone can ride them. I greatly enjoyed Cedar Creek Flyers at Dorney Park last year so, I'm sort of looking forward to riding Flying Eagles at Canada's Wonderland because Chopper Chase will be surrounding the ride!

But, I am more excited about Skyhawk as it's the first Gerstlauer Sky Roller in North America! I can't wait to ride it as it looks amazing!

^^ There's an expression called "snapping" that applies to getting your ride vehicle to literally fly sideways,

and higher, almost upside down if you can time it, etc. Some parks (I have read) have signs in front of theirs,

saying "Snapping Is NOT ALLOWED."

And so it goes. SkyHawk looks very nice, btw.

^^ There's an expression called "snapping" that applies to getting your ride vehicle to literally fly sideways,

and higher, almost upside down if you can time it, etc. Some parks (I have read) have signs in front of theirs,

saying "Snapping Is NOT ALLOWED."

And so it goes. SkyHawk looks very nice, btw.

I wonder if any park's fanbase would be satisfied with a ride designed to snap

Well I can say Carowinds encourages snapping on the Woodstock Gliders. Yes it's in the kids Planet Snoopy section but we young adults and the teens can take over the ride quickly. Here's a vid from 2010 when everyone were snapping and the ride op got nervous, thinking the ride was going to break. lol

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Well I can say Carowinds encourages snapping on the Woodstock Gliders. Yes it's in the kids Planet Snoopy section but we young adults and the teens can take over the ride quickly. Here's a vid from 2010 when everyone were snapping and the ride op got nervous, thinking the ride was going to break. lol

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

How does one snap, is it just going back and forth perfectly to get this range of motion?

^ Sounds like the kids are really enjoying the ride!

Yes, they sure do sound like they're having fun! From what I understand, the people on the ride are related to those who helped construct the ride. I can't wait to see videos of Skyhawk testing!

Below is a photo of Skyhawk testing! According to Canada's Wonderland, the current record for barrel rolls within a ride duration is 41! That sure is a lot of spinning! I can't wait to try Skyhawk out!

13007384_10153677971628924_5873110641678658238_n.jpg?oh=0c90c65fed9b76dd24a481be7a779d5a&oe=5776BCE0

Photo Credit: Canada's Wonderland via Facebook

I also cannot WAIT to ride Skyhawk. Sooo excited.

Wait... What is snapping?

It's when the cables on the ride slacken and gravity takes over for a brief moment, and your ride vehicle falls and bounces around a bit instead of spinning smoothly with taught cables.

Technical explanation: cable tension is proportional to centripetal force - (mv^2)/r .... with mass and velocity basically constant, as you swing up higher and further out, "r" (radius) increases, ergo cable tension decreases, with division doing its thing and all. Once tension is low enough, and gravity "wins", you snap.

It's a lot of fun.

The cables don't actually break, if that was the intent of the question. But it does stress the truss structure of the ride, so some parks discourage the effect.

How does one snap, is it just going back and forth perfectly to get this range of motion?

That is correct. Intermediate technique: Move the sail from one extreme position to the other very quickly, at just the right time. Practice, practice, practice.

Below is a photo of Skyhawk testing! According to Canada's Wonderland, the current record for barrel rolls within a ride duration is 41! That sure is a lot of spinning! I can't wait to try Skyhawk out!

13007384_10153677971628924_5873110641678658238_n.jpg?oh=0c90c65fed9b76dd24a481be7a779d5a&oe=5776BCE0

Photo Credit: Canada's Wonderland via Facebook

...To further fuel the competitive fire... The 41 flip record is held by a CoasterForce member...

I think that's enough said.

SkyHawk is definitely going to be having major capacity issues. Not only will the regular line be long but with Fast Lane Plus, the ratio is going to probably be somewhere around 6 FLP per cycle, limiting the regular line down to 18 people per cycle.