TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Can I ask where Valleyfair came from? I would say CP, Carowinds, and KI...

Has been stated several times during quarter earning conference calls. Valleyfair is one of the key markets that they're trying to expand on, along with Carowinds and CA Great America. They don't need as large of an expansion as Carowinds has been needing, but it's still there. Valleyfair has a rather large market available to it, but can only hit around 1 million guests a season when it could easily reach 1.5mil, if not more. Cedar Point pretty much is on its own and really CF can do whatever they want to it as the market is already established and guests will always go there in droves and it's the same with Kings Island.

Wonderland is one of those parks too that it's hard to expand on the market when the market is already established, or in their case, the dominate spot in the market. There's a reason why Canada's Wonderland has the highest yearly attendance out of all of the Cedar Fair parks.

Makes sense. Now that CF's done some major work on CW over the last few years (2 B&Ms, Windseeker, Guardian etc.), I wouldn't be surprised to see some other "underserved parks getting more TLC in the coming years.

However, with that being said, I'm predicting something relatively large taking up Skyrider's spot next year. The park's stated that the removal of Skyrider was a "multi-year project", and with land clearing going on all around the area (including inside Splashworks/near WWC), I'm guessing we'll either see a total revamp of Splashworks or a medium to large sized coaster.

Has been stated several times during quarter earning conference calls. Valleyfair is one of the key markets that they're trying to expand on, along with Carowinds and CA Great America. They don't need as large of an expansion as Carowinds has been needing, but it's still there. Valleyfair has a rather large market available to it, but can only hit around 1 million guests a season when it could easily reach 1.5mil, if not more. Cedar Point pretty much is on its own and really CF can do whatever they want to it as the market is already established and guests will always go there in droves and it's the same with Kings Island.

Wonderland is one of those parks too that it's hard to expand on the market when the market is already established, or in their case, the dominate spot in the market. There's a reason why Canada's Wonderland has the highest yearly attendance out of all of the Cedar Fair parks.

Makes sense. Now that CF's done some major work on CW over the last few years (2 B&Ms, Windseeker, Guardian etc.), I wouldn't be surprised to see some other "underserved parks getting more TLC in the coming years.

However, with that being said, I'm predicting something relatively large taking up Skyrider's spot next year. The park's stated that the removal of Skyrider was a "multi-year project", and with land clearing going on all around the area (including inside Splashworks/near WWC), I'm guessing we'll either see a total revamp of Splashworks or a medium to large sized coaster.

My guess for 2017 is we'll not see a total revamp of Splashworks, but, some slides added near Mighty Canadian Minebuster's first drop as they were clearing land there last year. Also, I think we'll see a dive coaster where SkyRider was. I mean, there isn't much room there but, a dive coaster can be quite compact if they wanted it to be.

^So glad to seeSkyhawk coming together! That looks incredible

My guess for 2017 is we'll not see a total revamp of Splashworks, but, some slides added near Mighty Canadian Minebuster's first drop as they were clearing land there last year. Also, I think we'll see a dive coaster where SkyRider was. I mean, there isn't much room there but, a dive coaster can be quite compact if they wanted it to be.

Maybe it won't be a total revamp, but, I wouldn't be surprised if the got a new entrance (extending into skyrider's spot), plus the slides near Minebuster that you mentioned. With other large water parks opening in the region (Calypso Park a few hours east, plus the preposed indoor waterpark for the GTA), other older waterparks are upping the anti; just look at WildWater Kingdom. They're completely redoing their park, most likely to compete with Calypso. I wouldn't be surprised if CW does something similar.

As for the coaster rumor, I'm guessing the land clearing near Minebuster could be for a coaster (if splash works doesn't get any more additions next year). The station would likely be in Skyrider's old spot, and the coaster would probably interact with the area around Minebuster/splash works. Probably something from B&M, maybe Mack or RMC?

^So glad to seeSkyhawk coming together! That looks incredible

Maybe it won't be a total revamp, but, I wouldn't be surprised if the got a new entrance (extending into skyrider's spot), plus the slides near Minebuster that you mentioned. With other large water parks opening in the region (Calypso Park a few hours east, plus the preposed indoor waterpark for the GTA), other older waterparks are upping the anti; just look at WildWater Kingdom. They're completely redoing their park, most likely to compete with Calypso. I wouldn't be surprised if CW does something similar.

As for the coaster rumor, I'm guessing the land clearing near Minebuster could be for a coaster (if splash works doesn't get any more additions next year). The station would likely be in Skyrider's old spot, and the coaster would probably interact with the area around Minebuster/splash works. Probably something from B&M, maybe Mack or RMC?

I'm hoping for a B&M wing or Dive still for 2017 or maybe we will have the honor for one of the first RMC single rail or Monorail coasters (whatever you wanna call it but you get the point) but I'm sure we will get some sort of surprise for the 35th anniversary.

^Right because Cedar Fair is just so keen on their anniversaries. Kings Dominion broke the bank for their 40th--they spent, what, $2 million? Seriously anniversaries mean absolutely nothing to most parks and I don't know what makes you think they'll get a coaster because of an anniversary. If they do get something big next year it has nothing to do with an anniversary.

^Right because Cedar Fair is just so keen on their anniversaries. Kings Dominion broke the bank for their 40th--they spent, what, $2 million? Seriously anniversaries mean absolutely nothing to most parks and I don't know what makes you think they'll get a coaster because of an anniversary. If they do get something big next year it has nothing to do with an anniversary.

Valleyfair this year is another example

I'm hoping for a B&M wing or Dive still for 2017 or maybe we will have the honor for one of the first RMC single rail or Monorail coasters (whatever you wanna call it but you get the point) but I'm sure we will get some sort of surprise for the 35th anniversary.

This year is the 35th year of operation for Canada's Wonderland as the park opened on May 23, 1981. I could see this happening for the 40th which will be in five years. But, I doubt an anniversary has anything to do with what will be coming to the park because Leviathan opened in the 31st year of operation.

There's a 0% chance any Cedar Fair park gets an RMC in 2017.

Maybe (if you were stating your personal opinion), you should have said something along the lines of "It's highly unlikely that Cedar Fair will receive an RMC in 2017" rather than creating a fact/statement that has no proof.

Season Pass Sneak Preview Night will be held on Friday, April 29th, 2016 from 6 pm to 10 pm. Season pass holders can also take up on the amazing deals being offered only on season pass sneak preview night! For more information on Season Pass Sneak Preview Night and the amazing deals being offered, please click here.

I believe the silly DIppin Dots fellow is from Carowinds. (Def not KI) not like it matters

Thank you for the clarification. It's been a couple years since I was to Kings Island and I couldn't remember how the flower beds were lined.