TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

They moved skyrider.

Yes, they removed it at the end of the 2014 season. I miss it not being there as I had gotten some amazing rides on it while riding with my arms up throughout the whole ride! But, luckily it's doing great at Cavallino Matto in Italy as Freestyle!

^I definitely could see the packing up the coasters part being a real thing at some parks. Many smaller places have traveling models for their rides, and are basically permanent funfairs/carnivals.

Yes, but, I don't think most parks that have portable coasters pack up their coasters for the winter. But, many flat rides do get dismantled for the winter whether they are portable or not.

Pretty much anything that can be dismantled gets dismantled, though you won't see a park take apart their permanent roller coasters because they're welded together. The trains will come off and be disassembled, flat ride cars / seat assemblies will be removed. It's really a safety thing, as they can replace individual parts if needed.

Pretty much anything that can be dismantled gets dismantled, though you won't see a park take apart their permanent roller coasters because they're welded together. The trains will come off and be disassembled, flat ride cars / seat assemblies will be removed. It's really a safety thing, as they can replace individual parts if needed.

Well, that's kind of obvious. I wasn't serious about the roller coasters being dismantled. It's quite neat to see some rides dismantled for the off-season. The one I found quite neat to see dismantled is Klockwerks, which is a Huss Swing Around. They take off the cars, then the arms, and then disconnect the ride to lay completely flat on the ground in a circle. That's why the ride platform has to be a certain diameter. Luckily, when they removed Bayern's Curve in 2000, the plot was big enough to accommodate Klockwerks. But, it's a shame that Paramount had to remove a classic ride to keep a classic ride. Maybe we'll see a Bayern Kurve return to the park as Matt Ouimet has a team of ride scavengers searching Europe for classic rides to bring them back to operate a Cedar Fair parks.

I meant, closing a theme park, dismantling the rides, moving them somewhere else, only to open a new theme park. Has that ever actually happened anywhere?

Well, apparently it has happened with some very small South American parks but, never on a large scale as far as I know of. It would be extremely expensive to move a park as large as Canada's Wonderland so, I don't see it ever happening, unless it were to greatly downsize at it's new location. But, Canada's Wonderland's popularity has grown over the past decade so, they wouldn't make it smaller.

No, of course not. Have you seen the pics of Ontario Place yet John? Do you think I should start a new thread or is Ontario Place not considered to be a theme park?

^Im pretty sure it's been closed for a while now.

As for other parks in the GTA, been pretty curious to see how wild water kingdom turns out. Apparently there making some pretty big renovations.

Yes, I have seen the pictures of Ontario Place that were taken back in December. The place looks like a complete dump now. Also, Ontario Place (Soak City, the water park and the amusement park) has been closed since the end of the 2011 season. So, there is no need to start making a discussion thread about it as there is no "new" activity that has occurred on the property since it's closure apart from vandalism and a couple attractions being removed which were bought by Canada's Wonderland and have been operating since last year. As for Wildwater Kingdom, I drive by it on my way to College and I haven't seen anything large yet and it's been quite a while since the mentioning of a large expansion has been announced. I also haven't seen any new slides or attraction being installed so, maybe they're behind in progress or just not adding anything large.

No haunt for them????

A lot of parks have separate admissions for Haunts I believe so the park will close at 5 those days and I assume will then reopen at 7 for Haunt. (Somebody correct me if im wrong) I believe Carowinds also does this

Yes, Canada's Wonderland has separate admission for Halloween Haunt which causes the park to close at 5:00pm and re-open at 7:00pm for those who have paid Halloween Haunt admission. The Halloween Haunt hours will be posted later in the season as we approach late August.

No haunt for them????

A lot of parks have separate admissions for Haunts I believe so the park will close at 5 those days and I assume will then reopen at 7 for Haunt. (Somebody correct me if im wrong) I believe Carowinds also does this

Yes, Canada's Wonderland has separate admission for Halloween Haunt which causes the park to close at 5:00pm and re-open at 7:00pm for those who have paid Halloween Haunt admission. The Halloween Haunt hours will be posted later in the season as we approach late August.

Oh wow. I didn't know that! That is interesting!!

I haven't been on this thread in a while. What are the current rumors or 2017 at Canada's Wonderland?

Nothing as of now. Now that we're officially in Ouimet's 5-year plan for the chain, things have been pretty quiet in terms of rumors for all of the parks. We could expect something in Skyrider's former spot, but it's all speculation right now since there hasn't even been a peep in terms of what could be coming.

I'm gonna say this now, I wouldn't put a strong merit on it being a big coaster though. Wonderland is not currently on CF's list of focus parks, as Carowinds and Valleyfair top that list with a couple others below it. There's only so much market you can hit before it's too saturated and with Wonderland being THE premiere park in Canada, it doesn't really need to improve on anything besides filling in minor gaps such as newer family/thrill rides.

I haven't been on this thread in a while. What are the current rumors or 2017 at Canada's Wonderland?

Nothing as of now. Now that we're officially in Ouimet's 5-year plan for the chain, things have been pretty quiet in terms of rumors for all of the parks. We could expect something in Skyrider's former spot, but it's all speculation right now since there hasn't even been a peep in terms of what could be coming.

I'm gonna say this now, I wouldn't put a strong merit on it being a big coaster though. Wonderland is not currently on CF's list of focus parks, as Carowinds and Valleyfair top that list with a couple others below it. There's only so much market you can hit before it's too saturated and with Wonderland being THE premiere park in Canada, it doesn't really need to improve on anything besides filling in minor gaps such as newer family/thrill rides.

Can I ask where Valleyfair came from? I would say CP, Carowinds, and KI...

Has been stated several times during quarter earning conference calls. Valleyfair is one of the key markets that they're trying to expand on, along with Carowinds and CA Great America. They don't need as large of an expansion as Carowinds has been needing, but it's still there. Valleyfair has a rather large market available to it, but can only hit around 1 million guests a season when it could easily reach 1.5mil, if not more. Cedar Point pretty much is on its own and really CF can do whatever they want to it as the market is already established and guests will always go there in droves and it's the same with Kings Island.

Wonderland is one of those parks too that it's hard to expand on the market when the market is already established, or in their case, the dominate spot in the market. There's a reason why Canada's Wonderland has the highest yearly attendance out of all of the Cedar Fair parks.

Has been stated several times during quarter earning conference calls. Valleyfair is one of the key markets that they're trying to expand on, along with Carowinds and CA Great America. They don't need as large of an expansion as Carowinds has been needing, but it's still there. Valleyfair has a rather large market available to it, but can only hit around 1 million guests a season when it could easily reach 1.5mil, if not more. Cedar Point pretty much is on its own and really CF can do whatever they want to it as the market is already established and guests will always go there in droves and it's the same with Kings Island.

Wonderland is one of those parks too that it's hard to expand on the market when the market is already established, or in their case, the dominate spot in the market. There's a reason why Canada's Wonderland has the highest yearly attendance out of all of the Cedar Fair parks.

Oh okay thanks! I don't keep track of the conference calls so I wouldn't know. Maybe I should start!