TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

^I still cannot believe that CP was going to get a new coaster, it was one of the last parks on my list for getting a new coaster. Any other park, except for Carowinds (duh) and Kings Island would a better place to put a new coaster than Cedar Point.

So we enjoyed a full day at the park today. First time ever at the park but having been to both Kings Island and Kings Dominion it felt familiar. I will say that CW is the nicest of the three in my opinion. Really enjoyed the big coasters but there are a few rough ones here. I rode Shockwave and Nightmares which was unique and exciting. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get on the Sledge Hammer.

So we enjoyed a full day at the park today. First time ever at the park but having been to both Kings Island and Kings Dominion it felt familiar. I will say that CW is the nicest of the three in my opinion. Really enjoyed the big coasters but there are a few rough ones here. I rode Shockwave and Nightmares which was unique and exciting. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get on the Sledge Hammer.

Nice warm weekend for a visit aswell!! How were the crowds yesterday?

Wasn't too bad yesterday. Guardian and Leviathan were the longest wait, about 45 minutes. Today it was packed, I assume it was because of the Labor (labour) day celebration with fireworks. it was a great weekend trip. will do it again sometime. Although next time I'll be better prepared. I'm still not sure how many liters my gas tank holds or how fast I'm really driving... Lol.

Friend told me that SkyHawk's construction fence is going up this week. So it looks like they will re-landscape that hill to be flatter to fit the ride on. Hoping ( like everybody else is ) that construction fence for "Ziz" would go up in the spring when the Snow melts.

I wouldn't be surprised. When we walked passed on Saturday there were survey markers all over that area. It's such a big space I'm surprised they didn't put a larger attraction there. Unless Skyhawk and Eagles are just the first phase of something bigger.

Friend told me that SkyHawk's construction fence is going up this week. So it looks like they will re-landscape that hill to be flatter to fit the ride on. Hoping ( like everybody else is ) that construction fence for "Ziz" would go up in the spring when the Snow melts.

I wouldn't be surprised. When we walked passed on Saturday there were survey markers all over that area. It's such a big space I'm surprised they didn't put a larger attraction there. Unless Skyhawk and Eagles are just the first phase of something bigger.

I think they are turning that area into a plaza for Skyhawk with more food stands and snack shaks around.

I think they are turning that area into a plaza for Skyhawk with more food stands and snack shaks around.

Can't forget whatever's coming to replace skyrider in 2017. Maybe the ride/coaster's layout will head that way?

So we took our first trip to Canada and Canada's Wonderland this past weekend and had a great time. This was actually our first trip out of the U.S. and even though in many cases we were so close we could see New York state and my iphone was still getting Verizon service we felt like a couple of regular explorers because we're dumb tourists like that.

I'll get to the park in a minute but if anyone cares I have just a few comments in the rest of the trip...

- We stayed in Niagara falls which was absolutely amazing. The town was a very fun little tourist trap and the falls themselves were breathtaking. Everyone needs to take a ride on the Hornblower or Maid of the Mist once in their lives. It really allows you to appreciate the incredible beauty and power of nature.

- We visited Marineland also and had a ton of fun petting the whales and feeding the bears but the Sky Screamer is one of the best drop rides anywhere and Dragon Mountain is incredibly smooth and fun which I didn't expect at all. We loved this park and so did our fitbits. 30k steps... holy crap, this park is huge.

- We did the CN tower Edge Walk in Toronto which was ridiculously cool. We're all thrill seekers to come degree obviously so I suggest this to anyone. Wow!!!!

- Canada in general was great. Sure it's very similar to the U.S. but everyone was very friendly, the little bit of the country we saw (basically the falls area, the Toronto area and the area along the western side of Lake Ontario) was beautiful. We loved it.

- I have no idea how many liters my car takes and it took me until the last day to get used to looking at the tiny KPH numbers on my speedometer but now that I'm home I have to keep reminding myself to look at the miles per hour.

- You Canadian's are right, Tim Horton's coffee is the greatest thing I've ever tasted.

====================

Okay, so onto the park...

We got there right before opening and followed the plan everyone on here gave us. We went on a Saturday which I thought was packed but everyone there was talking about the light crowds (Leviathan's queue was spilling out onto the Midway and 100% full so I can't imagine the crowds they normally get).

We got there at rope drop and headed right for Guardian, then went right to the Fly, the Bat and Thunder Run. After we knocked those off we headed back to Silver Streak and Ghoster Coaster and then to Dragon Fire. Sure it felt strange riding all those rides first and ignoring Behemoth, Leviathan and Vortex but we managed to knock out all of the non-Fastlane coasters in 2 hours and were feeling pretty proud of ourselves.

Of those rides, the only 2 standouts were Thunder Run and Guardian. We actually came back and rode Guardian again later as it was one of my girlfriend's favorite rides in the park and I loved it also. We thought it was a ton of fun and the drop track was a great surprise. Thunder Run was longer than expected and a ton of fun.

We managed to get on all the coasters except for Taxi Jam and we even had time for some flats... Windseeker (twice... I'll NEVER turn down a ride on one of these), Psyclone, Night Mares, Orbitor and Rip Tide. We also got to re-ride a few coasters, some multiple times thanks to Fastlane. We got multiple rides on Guardian, Leviathan, Behemoth and Vortex.

Overall the coaster collection is a bit lacking but they have a few great ones, and the great flat ride collection makes up for some of the downfalls of the coaster collection. I won't bother reviewing every coaster, just the standouts as many are pretty standard models that you can find anywhere.

First the bad...

Time Warp, Minebuster and Flight Deck: I can't think a park with a trifecta of suck quite like this... all 3 of these rides are terrible and should be removed immediately. Removing Time Warp and Flight Deck would open up a huge chunk of land and even though they do a great job building through Minebuster I'd be totally fine with them removing it and replacing it with absolutely nothing because this ride is flat out horrible... plus Wild Beast is a perfectly solid wood coaster so if people wanted to ride a good woodie they could find one on the other end of the park.

Now the good...

Leviathan: This ride was awesome! Great speed, fun floater air and a great drop. It's easily the best coaster in the park and while I don't put it on the level of Fury, Millennium Force or I305 it's a top 20 ride for sure.

Behemoth I had really low expectations for this ride but ended up loving it. It's one of the better B&M hypers out there and it compliments Leviathan very well. I love it's proximity to water and unlike at Carowinds where I feel like Fury completely stole Intimidator's thunder I feel like this ride can go toe to toe with Leviathan as it's incredibly fun.

Vortex: I loved the interaction with the lake and the mountain and the ride itself is completely insane and out of control. This is probably the most intense coaster in the park but it's incredibly smooth and fun. I really wish we had more of these.

Overall we had a great time at the park and we can't wait to go back when they get that rumored new coaster. Thanks to everyone for all your trip planning help... the advice all worked perfectly!

So we took our first trip to Canada and Canada's Wonderland this past weekend and had a great time. This was actually our first trip out of the U.S. and even though in many cases we were so close we could see New York state and my iphone was still getting Verizon service we felt like a couple of regular explorers because we're dumb tourists like that.

I'll get to the park in a minute but if anyone cares I have just a few comments in the rest of the trip...

- We stayed in Niagara falls which was absolutely amazing. The town was a very fun little tourist trap and the falls themselves were breathtaking. Everyone needs to take a ride on the Hornblower or Maid of the Mist once in their lives. It really allows you to appreciate the incredible beauty and power of nature.

- We visited Marineland also and had a ton of fun petting the whales and feeding the bears but the Sky Screamer is one of the best drop rides anywhere and Dragon Mountain is incredibly smooth and fun which I didn't expect at all. We loved this park and so did our fitbits. 30k steps... holy crap, this park is huge.

- We did the CN tower Edge Walk in Toronto which was ridiculously cool. We're all thrill seekers to come degree obviously so I suggest this to anyone. Wow!!!!

- Canada in general was great. Sure it's very similar to the U.S. but everyone was very friendly, the little bit of the country we saw (basically the falls area, the Toronto area and the area along the western side of Lake Ontario) was beautiful. We loved it.

- I have no idea how many liters my car takes and it took me until the last day to get used to looking at the tiny KPH numbers on my speedometer but now that I'm home I have to keep reminding myself to look at the miles per hour.

- You Canadian's are right, Tim Horton's coffee is the greatest thing I've ever tasted.

====================

Okay, so onto the park...

We got there right before opening and followed the plan everyone on here gave us. We went on a Saturday which I thought was packed but everyone there was talking about the light crowds (Leviathan's queue was spilling out onto the Midway and 100% full so I can't imagine the crowds they normally get).

We got there at rope drop and headed right for Guardian, then went right to the Fly, the Bat and Thunder Run. After we knocked those off we headed back to Silver Streak and Ghoster Coaster and then to Dragon Fire. Sure it felt strange riding all those rides first and ignoring Behemoth, Leviathan and Vortex but we managed to knock out all of the non-Fastlane coasters in 2 hours and were feeling pretty proud of ourselves.

Of those rides, the only 2 standouts were Thunder Run and Guardian. We actually came back and rode Guardian again later as it was one of my girlfriend's favorite rides in the park and I loved it also. We thought it was a ton of fun and the drop track was a great surprise. Thunder Run was longer than expected and a ton of fun.

We managed to get on all the coasters except for Taxi Jam and we even had time for some flats... Windseeker (twice... I'll NEVER turn down a ride on one of these), Psyclone, Night Mares, Orbitor and Rip Tide. We also got to re-ride a few coasters, some multiple times thanks to Fastlane. We got multiple rides on Guardian, Leviathan, Behemoth and Vortex.

Overall the coaster collection is a bit lacking but they have a few great ones, and the great flat ride collection makes up for some of the downfalls of the coaster collection. I won't bother reviewing every coaster, just the standouts as many are pretty standard models that you can find anywhere.

First the bad...

Time Warp, Minebuster and Flight Deck: I can't think a park with a trifecta of suck quite like this... all 3 of these rides are terrible and should be removed immediately. Removing Time Warp and Flight Deck would open up a huge chunk of land and even though they do a great job building through Minebuster I'd be totally fine with them removing it and replacing it with absolutely nothing because this ride is flat out horrible... plus Wild Beast is a perfectly solid wood coaster so if people wanted to ride a good woodie they could find one on the other end of the park.

Now the good...

Leviathan: This ride was awesome! Great speed, fun floater air and a great drop. It's easily the best coaster in the park and while I don't put it on the level of Fury, Millennium Force or I305 it's a top 20 ride for sure.

Behemoth I had really low expectations for this ride but ended up loving it. It's one of the better B&M hypers out there and it compliments Leviathan very well. I love it's proximity to water and unlike at Carowinds where I feel like Fury completely stole Intimidator's thunder I feel like this ride can go toe to toe with Leviathan as it's incredibly fun.

Vortex: I loved the interaction with the lake and the mountain and the ride itself is completely insane and out of control. This is probably the most intense coaster in the park but it's incredibly smooth and fun. I really wish we had more of these.

Overall we had a great time at the park and we can't wait to go back when they get that rumored new coaster. Thanks to everyone for all your trip planning help... the advice all worked perfectly!

Glad you had a great time at our park and I disagree on your opinion of the trifecta of suck. Minebuster is quite tolerable when you ride in the middle row of the car which is the only row not sitting on wheels. I would put Wild Beast in Minebuster's place as it is one of the many rides I avoid when I visit.

Hopefully 2017 will be the year we get a third fantastic coaster but I have an uneasy feeling that we will end up gettting a standard Wing Rider but maybe Cedar Fair will be nice and give us the gift of a Maverick-esque coaster for having Skyriders spot sit vacant for 2 years.

My buddy keeps telling me how great Minebuster used to be before they retracked it many years ago. I never had the pleasure of riding the old version because back in the day I was terrified of Roller Coasters and you could'nt drag me on one but I will always have a place for Minebuster in my heart because it was the coaster that I faced those fears on and ever since that first ride on it I have'nt looked back...now I just want taller,faster and crazier lol

Coasterbill...glad you had a good trip. Interesting that you like Thunder Run...I think it is a great ride and a good intro for families....I am surprised it is mentioned on an enthisiasts trip report though. Nice.

trifecta of suck

Great expression. I actually USED to like FLight Deck/Top gun when I first moved to Canada (10 years ago). The older I got...the ROUGHER it got....so I do fall into the "too rough" category now. My wife cut her ears on it (earring problems) so she HATES it now.

It blows my mind how people will wait over an hour for these rides though. At least there is hope that Minebuster will get re-tracked like Wild Beast, but the other 2 are lost causes.

And a quick note about Marineland, it's a park with major potential. It has tons of room to expand, it's in a major tourist area and its close to the 5+ million people in the Toronto area. If it got in the right hands it could be an amazing park but unfortunately I don't think the current owners have plans to (or can afford to) turn it into the amazing park it could be.

It blows my mind how people will wait over an hour for these rides though. At least there is hope that Minebuster will get re-tracked like Wild Beast, but the other 2 are lost causes.

And a quick note about Marineland, it's a park with major potential. It has tons of room to expand, it's in a major tourist area and its close to the 5+ million people in the Toronto area. If it got in the right hands it could be an amazing park but unfortunately I don't think the current owners have plans to (or can afford to) turn it into the amazing park it could be.

My thoughts exactly... Once they sell Marineland, I will be watching that park very closely. With its proximity to wonderland, and under the right ownership, I could totally see a bit of a rivalry developing between CW & ML... Which would probably bennifit both parks.

All Marineland really needs is a new owner. Just look at what happened to CW once it got bought up by CF.

Finally, as for vortex, I'll have to re ride it seeing as it gets so much hype. Last few times I've done it, the ride was really rough, and not quite as intense as I'd hoped.

I'll warn you now that I have a complete love affair with Arrow suspendeds so my opinion may not be the norm, but if someone told me Vortex was their favorite coaster at Wonderland I wouldn't be able to argue with them... I prefer Leviathan but Vortex is outstanding.

Also, regarding Minebuster and Wild Beast, the grouper screwed us on Minebuster. If it were up to me I would have avoided a wheel seat and we ended up having a terrible ride. We ended up in the front seat on Wild Beast and after the first drop my girlfriend looked at me and said she was going to "Mean Streak it". So basically we both leaned forward and stayed off the seat back and that could be why we enjoyed it. We both got the idea that without doing that we may have had different opinions.

Minebuster hasn't been a quality ride since it was re-profiled about 15 years ago. I don't think that park knows or cares about how to properly maintain a wood coaster, and that's too bad. Time Warp and Flight Deck are both total garbage IMO and I'd be more than enthusiastic to see them gone.

As far as Marineland goes, the owner is a packrat and has a bunch of totally random garbage sitting in fields (train from Yugoslavia, boat ride, other nonsense) around there that will never be put up. He's also cheap as hell and the kind of individual one might suggest is a scumbag. I wouldn't expect anything to change there until he's in the ground.