TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

^^^Very good point about the turnaround section. Really don't know what type of coaster it could be, but knowing the "testing ground" nature of CW, I could totally see a firstim the chain type of coaster, most likely some kind of MacK or B&M launcher.

Also, I've heard the term "blitz" coaster brought up. Sorry if this is somewhat of a dumb question, but can anyone here tell me more or less what a "blitz" coaster is? Only ones I can think of off the top of my head would be Maverick or possibly helix, and other than the fact that they're launchers, can't really see anything that separates them from the rest (besides the fact they look like amazing rides ).

To me, Blitz Coasters are High intense, speed filled, G-Force, twisty coasters. Not all are Launched, most have a lift hill, but only one (only I know of) has a 90 Degree life hill straight up which is Fahrenheit at Hershey Park.

But Why I mentioned a Blitz would be a good addition in the park is because of their unique Zero-G rolls and inversions. Wonderland is lacking in rides that go completely upside-down. Think about it. Only Dragon Fire, Flight Deck, and Time Warp (for all I can remember from last year) have inversions on them. SkyRider had one but that's gone as we all know.

For that Wooden Coaster part that was mentioned. I think that Cedar Fairs should start ringing on RMC's doorbell for a deal and put an RMC upgrade on Wild Beast or Minebuster, (and if it happens the names would change to Wild Iron Beast or Mighty Canadian Ironbuster ).

But like I said before. I can see B&M attempt making their very own Blitz Coaster and have their Prototype at Wonderland. Knowing that B&M do a good job on first timers, I can see them pulling it of and Killing Intamin's Blitz Coasters.

Ya, I forgot to mention, that they shouldn't take long to build and aren't Massive like Behemoth or Leviathan, but still awesome rides. I think their height would be similar to Flight Deck's Peak Height (i'm assuming). So it would make sense that they would start construction later than they did with Leviathan. So if they do start "real" construction by late June, then MAYBE we should start seeing Track pieces rolling into the park on flat beds, so keep an eye out Season Pass Holders who go most of the time. (I don't have a SP this year :/ so I can't really go in debth and have to see what's going on from the sidelines. Thank God we got Toronto Josh from In-The-Loop to do that for us, Credits to him)

Ya, I forgot to mention, that they shouldn't take long to build and aren't Massive like Behemoth or Leviathan, but still awesome rides. I think their height would be similar to Flight Deck's Peak Height (i'm assuming). So it would make sense that they would start construction later than they did with Leviathan. So if they do start "real" construction by late June, then MAYBE we should start seeing Track pieces rolling into the park on flat beds, so keep an eye out Season Pass Holders who go most of the time. (I don't have a SP this year :/ so I can't really go in depth and have to see what's going on from the sidelines. Thank God we got Toronto Josh from In-The-Loop to do that for us, Credits to him)

Thanks to everyone who cleared up the blitz coaster explanations. Thinking about it, I still believe we'll see a coaster of that type from Mack or possibly (I doubt it though) Intamin. Unless B&M wants to bring back their old school, balls to the walls intensity (which I would fully support ), I couldn't see whatever they build really fitting the definition of a "blitz" coaster. Just my opinion though... Could be way off. Only time will tell.

Unrelated to all of that...

Does anybody know when they stopped using the special effects for Back Lot Stunt Coaster?

I never rode it as Italian job since it was built during my 'dark years' where i wasn't going to wonderland, which conveniently coincided with the 'Paramount years'.

I think when i went 4 or 5 years back some of the outside flame effects were on. but last year i didn't see any. also without the water splashdown at the end it doesn't make so much sense. (maybe it was just off in the early season when i went.)

Is it a maintenance issue, or some kind of safety issue/ missing special parts they can't get anymore, or just 'couldn't be bothered'

I enjoy the launch and initial helix, but the later part suffers without any reference points.

^ I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd like to say the "Dark Years" part gave me a good laugh. I too had a run during the Paramount reign during which I completely stopped going to the park. So pleased to have put those days behind us.

^^I believe it was a combination of maintenance and parts they couldn't get, but not sure.

Speaking of backlot though, that gave me an idea. If we are getting some kind of blitz/launch coaster in the near future, does anyone think the park would go with premier to build it? Seems like they've been putting out some pretty interesting stuff lately with the SFDK clones and full throttle.

It was actually Licensing issues. Cedar Fairs didn't get the license to re-create the scene from Italian Job, meaning they weren't allowed to do it anymore, they were allowed a year or two after the purchase of Paramount's parks, but that's because it took some time taking out the propane tanks and pipes, etc.

I'll be at the park on Thursday (first trip of the year). Will try to grab some shots then, if possible.

Yes please! I am not a season pass holder this year so I'm just waiting on others for info. But i'll be at the park for sure on June 24th with a friend of mine coming from Poland. So I'll go check it out myself too

Greetings...first time poster on TPR but LONG time lurker. The quick overview....a Brit, who spent teenage years in Australia, before moving back to the UK before marrying a Canadian lass (hence the handle) and moving to Toronto.

Have been a theme park/roller coaster fan since teenage years (first coaster was in Hong Kong at Ocean park), in the last 10 years myself and the family have started visiting different parks on an annual basis. My son is 7 years old and I am trying to work him up to the biggies.

My top 5 (in my opinion only) are 1 X2, 2 Tatsu 3 Apollos Chariot 4 Maverick 5 Leviathan (front row for me).

I have been coming to Wonderland now for the last 10 years (since I moved to Canada) and I have followed this thread with interest...and have great interest and respect for all the information and opinions shared. I will say I do find it amusing in the roller coaster world when it simply only a matter of opinion what one likes and dosen't, people get flamed for saying such and such is a great/crap ride. I will never have a problem with someone telling me they don't like "X" and I should like "Y". For this hobby it is all down to preference. I don't have Millenium force in my top 5 (it is in the top 10)...I don't have any rides from Florida in the top 5 and I have been to the parks there....I am not too big a fan of loads of inversions.....I actually quite like "Flight deck".....sacrilege huh! Oh well...that is why this site is a good place to read and learn....I like others knowledge and opinion.

Anyway......I joined at this point in time because I am enjoying the speculation on the possible new coaster coming to Wonderland in the future (as an aside...I fall into the camp of those that think Cedar fair has done an AWESOME job in bringing Wonderland into one of the better parks to come to....Leviathan and Behemoth were a pipedream in the Paramount days when I started coming....Guardian is fun aswell (my son loves it)).

I am reading with interest the thoughts on possible types of coaster that could be brought here...and I would like your opinions on the idea of a "flyer"...a la "Tatsu" at SFMM or "Manta" at Seaworld. My rational comes from earlier in the thread with the naming theme (people up in arms at Ziz or whatever it is). If the theme is beast of the land, sea..then air...to me a flyer would fit that category. Tatsu is my second favourite coaster so I have a vested interest...could it be something that Wonderland would consider...especially given the B and M connection with those two rides.

I don't foresee a "wing coaster" due to Gatekeeper at Cedar point...it has been discussed about the so called proximity issues between those two parks (I don't buy it myself). I also don't see a Maverick clone again given the CP conundrum.

Anyway I hope to contribute over time on these threads...this will be my home thread for sure given I live here. I will try to be of some interest over time.

It was actually Licensing issues. Cedar Fairs didn't get the license to re-create the scene from Italian Job, meaning they weren't allowed to do it anymore, they were allowed a year or two after the purchase of Paramount's parks, but that's because it took some time taking out the propane tanks and pipes, etc.

Those effects still work on the American rides...

Those effects still work on the American rides...

This makes no sense....Paramount doesn't hold a licence on Propane and pipes. I get if they were doing a specific scene from the movie, but it never was...

All Paramount had a claim to was the name and the cars being Mini Coopers. So they changed the name and removed the decals. That's as far as the paramount licence went. If effects aren't working then there are other reasons.

^Sad. IJ:ST was a blast (Pun intended) when I rode at KI. Top 10 coaster? Definitely not, but a great 1st coaster for a child and families. Cedar Fair isn't used to dealing with and maintaining Show Elements of attractions. With these TrioTech dark rides that they are purchasing they will need to make sure the respective parks are hiring AV technicians to maintain said attractions or they won't look too good after a few years.

The splash effects only worked for a couple weeks into the first season, then it valleyed in the splash area, and I have not seen the splash run since. as for the fire effects, they worked on and off until a few years ago when they took out the ride coming to a complete stop there and it just slows down then launches.

I'm in the park now. Got here at 9:45, was immediately let in and waited with about 20 other people for the rope drop (next to Flight Deck).

As is my tradition, I started my CW season off with a dozen laps on Behemoth; the first 4 without having to leave the train. Love that so much.

Overall Behemoth is running exceptional this year, BUT the first dispatch was one of the best I've ever had. All trims were off and the MCBR was super dialed back. We flew through the MCBR like it wasn't even there and hit the helix at a speed I've never experienced on Behemoth before. The next 10 or 11 rides weren't quite that, but were still great. Seriously, that first ride was everything you could ever hope for. Fantastic.

Anyway, I ventured over to Timberwolf, did my best to spot the markers everyone was talking about and couldn't see anything. Sorry. I know that's not what you want to hear, but there just weren't any visible to me. With the path over to Splash Works closed there really isn't a good vantage point now, at least until Timberwolf actually opens for the season.

I did take a bunch of shots from Windseeker's queue. The blue markers are scattered everywhere across SkyRider's former spot and there was a bulldozer pushing dirt around (and being attacked by geese... funny stuff).

Here are the crappy iPhone pix I've taken (mostly of dirt) so far today...

IMG_5709.thumb.JPG.73b16b792041ae6eaab60047aac73c7e.JPG

Yes, the path is closed. Not much of a surprise there.

IMG_5711.thumb.JPG.2312373b45c5e20d49e93b9632ded0df.JPG

Nothing to see from here. Basically a pointless photo.

IMG_5713.thumb.JPG.9e7a88a79474d0c8076f507dc871a128.JPG

Dirt and blue markers all over the place

IMG_5715.thumb.JPG.81480548985f60da7ebbd17d340564c7.JPG

From Windseeker's queue

IMG_5717.thumb.JPG.3f059c98aa020d5041936502a3e14d3a.JPG

A bulldozer is bulldozing. This was about 3 minutes after those geese chased down the driver and freaked him right out.

IMG_5718.thumb.JPG.e944c5fff2d69019c2066ba6508ebc45.JPG

More dirt

It's now 2pm and the park is still mostly empty. It's a beautiful sunny day; time to stop fiddling with my phone and go ride stuff!

^Thanks so much for the pics!

As for the blue markers, someone over on CW had a really good point. They could possibly be for a splashdown similar to diamondback or the dive coasters (makes sense to me with the lake right next to skyrider's old plot of land.

No matter what the markers mean, seeing the bulldozer there makes me think more and more that something's gonna be occupying that plot of land pretty soon.