TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Looks to be just general site clearing. Getting rid of the remaining footers and grading the ground after they took out Skyrider. Also looks like they're rebuilding the edge of the pond that Vortex goes over. Personally, just looks like nothing. Now if they were starting to take out trees near White Water Canyon or digging lots of holes in patterns, then MAYBE I'd say something could be coming, but as of now, just looks like they're prepping the ground for grass.

I see that the new slides are not even close to being constructed with very little fiber glass in place. I know that this was shot 2 weeks ago, but that's still very little vertical construction for being in April.

correction if you look closely you'll notice the bulldozed out to the Vortex island meaning they probably need some trucks to reach there. You'll also notice the construction trailer parked on the walkway and men in suits or jackets on the construction site. You also see a small cement mixer out towards the pond.

And in splash works you see a new entrance being constructed circled in blue.

wonderland.thumb.png.1076b1c03553f98e3bbbf1a7a3d3bee9.png

correction if you look closely you'll notice the bulldozed out to the Vortex island meaning they probably need some trucks to reach there. You'll also notice the construction trailer parked on the walkway and men in suits or jackets on the construction site. You also see a small cement mixer out towards the pond.

Could they be building a new entrance because they'll be building a roller coaster over the original entrance ?

Boy, you people are seeing things. I can easily explain all of those:

• What you're seeing as a cement mixer, is actually a backhoe, can see it move earlier in the video.
  • That "new" path you think they bulldozed into the pond, has actually been there for a long time. The pond is partially drained right now because of the work removing the remaining Skyrider footers that were right on the edge of the pond. It just looks that way with the dead grass and low water.
  • That so called "new entrance" that's leading into Splashworks is actually for the construction vehicles to bring in the slide pieces. That will more than likely be gone by opening day.
  • Also the slide construction is the reason why that trailer is there.
  • And the men in suits or jackets, not sure what you're seeing there since they do not move at all.
  • That cement pad near the construction entrance is more than likely for a new food stand or something to that nature.

All I see on that clearing is a bulldozer, a backhoe working on the edge of the pond, and some concrete rubble from the footers. The construction trailer and that "entrance" is all for building the new slide complex. Nothing else is being done to that area and this coaster you guys think is going to go there next year is not happening from what I'm seeing.

Unless I see a sign like the one pictured below, then I'm gonna say, the former Skyrider site is going to be staying empty.

IMG_0257.thumb.jpg.281d90ae88ba122c4d26dba099c564d0.jpg

As of now, don't jump the gun and assume Wonderland is going to be receiving a major coaster next year and it's going to go in that exact spot. Anything that has been said about a coaster coming here has all been assumptions, not even rumors.

If it was taken at the beginning of this year, sure, but since those are from last year for the removal of Skyrider, I'd still have to say no since that was used to close off an area that was previously open. If there's a fence around Skyrider's former area with that sign when the park opens back up for the season, then I'd maybe say it's a possibility.

Not trying to be negative, but you guys are jumping the gun way too much. Yes, I know the chain is planning on spending around $120mil next year (and for years to come) but from what we've been hearing about other parks getting coasters with much more solid leads and nothing from Canada's Wonderland besides the removal of a coaster they ended up selling. It's not that that I don't believe there's a coaster coming, but the fact that you guys are wishing for this massive air-based coaster called "Ziz" is not lining up with the budget for next year. If anything, I don't see it arriving until at least 2017.

Gotta look at the bigger picture and realize Wonderland is only 1 out of the 11 parks in the chain. Gotta factor in the other 10.

^This link has comments from the VP of marketing for the park about Skyrider's spot.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/08/07/after_29_years_skyriders_ride_comes_to_an_end.html

I'm not saying this guarantees anything, but there is a lot more evidence supporting a new coaster rumor here than any other park, other than CP. (But their coaster is only $15 million, pocket change really )

So guys I myself am now on the band wagon of no coaster for 2016, I've heard a pretty trusted rumor the 2016 coaster is delayed till 2017 but was given no reason... I think were going to see grass in the skyrider spot for one more season... as I hear grass is being layed down soon.

^That looks awesome!

Can't wait to see this coaster run again. Was always a bit of a guilty pleasure ride for me Sure, it was a bit rough on the helix and final turn, but for the most part, i loved it, with not many other coasters I've done matching its crazy ejector airtime.

It's really too bad CW didn't pull a "Rougareau" (yes, I know I butchered that name lol) and put a sit down train on there though. Maybe it could've been a little more enjoyable, and stayed around a few more seasons with some updates.

Anyway, here's to hoping whatever replaces skyrider (be it 2016 or '17( does the old ride justice, and is packed with some good forceful elements, this time without the ... Oh, and I almost forgot, it's gotta have

Now all we need is an August announcement about a Maverick-esque or RMC woodie/Hybrid coming for 2016 . I know the likelyhood of that becoming reality are about the same as the Maple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup in my lifetime but one can dream.

As for Slingshot...I have always wanted to try one out and will be giving this a whirl sometime this summer.

I'm visiting Toronto next month and was planning on making my first trip to Canada's Wonderland while I'm there. I've posted a thread asking for advice (as I really want to get everything major there done in one day!) but you guys probably have the expert knowledge here! If you have any advice for my visit, I'd love if you could check out this thread and help me out!

I was there today and here are a few of my pics.

image.thumb.jpg.1ec221dff945252f77dd485c8168daff.jpg

Skyrider area. Nothing really going on in there yet.

image.thumb.jpg.caad43c79f87c33cfbb0b4a10fc031e0.jpg

Slingshot sign

image.thumb.jpg.2d8f29646df57a3762c55ffb475915ec.jpg

Ticket booth

image.thumb.jpg.c555ba56d298cebe8d65e090735a69d7.jpg

Slingshot

image.thumb.jpg.780b559820a7013723b71559732e34f7.jpg

Typhoon is about 50% up

image.thumb.jpg.06237a90ba6707e7efcb942379a51ab1.jpg

New track on Wild Beast is a huge help!

image.thumb.jpg.53a8080f0f9b8ee811d6fd793cfc5cfe.jpg

As I've stated before, Leviathan did end up with seatbelts and it has ZERO impact on ride experience but a little on dispatch times.

Looks great! The seatbelts on Behemoth didn't change dispatch times; good to here it is the case on Leviathan too. Maybe I'll actually rude Wild Beast this year..

The Skyrider spot is flattened and appears to be covered in dirt (no grass). As someone on the cwmania said, Behemoth did not have markers until June.

Thanks for the pics!