TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

This yelp review makes me want to blow my brains out:

I have just been shocked and appalled by an outing at Canada's Wonderland, and wish to share it in an attempt to raise awareness: conditions at the park get worse every time I go and I've had it.

I and 3 others went to Canada's Wonderland Halloween Haunt on October 26, 2014. The park is open from 7 - 12 and admission is $35. So we thought we'd get in a few mazes and a few rides and it would be a good night.

The reality:

- Traffic was so bad getting into the park that it took us an hour to drive 2 1/2 km and get parked.

- There were no lines to get in: there was a mob

- It took us 1 1/2 hours to get on Mine Buster. That is the only ride we went on, because the lines for every other ride and event were 3 hours long, with 2 hours remaining until close.

- Which brings us to the crowds: it was worse than any music festival I've ever been to, and worse than Wonderland on a a summer long weekend. How about capping your audience, especially when the event is so short in length?

- In addition to overcrowding, it was dark: the lighting was utterly insufficient. It was not remotely safe.

- We were so disgusted we went to customer service to get our money back. Ahead of us were many people feeling the same as us. Behind us was a party that had lost two 16 year old girls in the park. They chatted with security and were told to wait in the hour long line (we called it the Customer Service ride!) to get their kids names announced on the P.A. Yes that's right; there's lost girls in the park, but just hang tight for an hour and then maybe we'll say their names a few times on a speaker.

- When we got into Customer Service, we noticed a girl (again, around 16 years old) standing off to the side showing clear signs of hypothermia: she was visibly shaking and weak. We asked her if she was okay and found out that she had lost her party. She was shy and also freezing cold, so we asked the people in Customer Service to get her a sweater or a first aid blanket or something. They said they didn't have anything. Yes that's right: customer service doesn't have first aid equipment apparently. We told them to grab a sweater from the lost and found. Genius idea!

- On our way out of the park the lighting conditions in the lot were just as bad as those in the park. There was also no one directing traffic. Maybe the unsafe conditions and rage people were feeling lead to the double stabbing in the parking lot. Yes that's right. Someone died in the parking lot within minutes of our being there. ctvnews.ca/canada/double… So there you have our trip to Canada's Wonderland. I know I won't be going back.

The fact that she wants a REFUND is just appalling. Every time I get on the Internet, I lose a little more faith in humanity,

On that particular night, there was nothing the park could have done to really improve things. In all the years I've been going there, I've never seen it that busy. Even with all the entrance turnstiles open, it was still a mess getting in. It also wasn't like the ride ops were slow, it was just that busy. For instance, the line for Leviathan went back to the drink stand by Dragon Fire. Even during its first season, I had never see the line that long. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the park was approaching capacity limits that night.

But the Saturday right before Halloween is always the absolute busiest night of the year. So, I wasn't surprised.

Thank you EastCoastKid, mightypotato, and everyone else that contributed in answering my questions. You guys rock.

My only real concern is all that traffic. Sounds awful.

The traffic really only applies to Haunt. All other times it usually isn't bad at all.

Thank you EastCoastKid, mightypotato, and everyone else that contributed in answering my questions. You guys rock.

My only real concern is all that traffic. Sounds awful.

The traffic really only applies to Haunt. All other times it usually isn't bad at all.

Avoid rush hour traffic if you are going through downtown Toronto. You gotta have a lot of patience driving down there at those times.

The other stuff you mentioned outside of the park sound like things I'd be interested in; CN Tower, Niagra Falls, and maybe the zoo. Can anyone (presumably older) talk about the nightlife? Where can I get one of those strong Canadian Beers I've heard so much about?

Ah, my area of expertise! Ok, if you want to kill two birds with one stone (so to speak), go do the Steam Whistle Brewery tour during your Downtown Toronto time. The tour is great and you get to try some of Ontario's favourite beer (well, one of many of Ontario's favourite beers lol). I've also heard great things about the Mill St Brewery tour, but I haven't done that one myself yet because I end up going to Steam Whistle every time I'm downtown lol. I love Steam Whistle beer and I always have fun and it's right beside everything else I usually go down there to do (it's right across the street from the Aquarium and CN Tower and conveniently close to Union Station).

If when you mention "nightlife" you want to know about what clubs are good, then that's a whooooole different conversation lol. Toronto has endless nightclubs. Maybe decide what district of the city you want to stick to and then narrow it down from there, if you plan on going clubbing.

There really is a ton to do in Southern Ontario.. If you decide to hit up the Niagara region you can do everything from the typical "Falls attractions" to the Butterfly Conservatory to wine tours, etc. Or if you want to explore the Vaughan area there is Dave & Busters (which I loooove if you want to have fun and have good food all in one go), you can catch an IMAX film at the Colossus, or do some shopping at Vaughan Mills (though unless you want something you can only find in Canada I would recommend shopping in the US). If you have kids you want to keep entertained, the South Simcoe Rail isn't too far from Vaughan. And you definitely won't run out of things to do Downtown Toronto. You can also check out our awesome local pubs for the "beer experience". I would suggest starting on John St. for the pubs. The Office Pub is one of my favourite go-to locations, and it's not far from other good ones like the Town Crier or the Friar. I never go hungry when I go to the Friar lol. You could also catch a show - there are always great concerts, and Toronto has really good theatre productions as well. I know Mirvish always has something good showing. Or you can stick to my favourite "touristey" attractions that everyone has already brought up (because they're classics!) - CN Tower, the Toronto Zoo (which, don't be fooled when you're planning, isn't anywhere near Downtown Toronto), the Distillery District, the Aquarium, etc.

Good luck with your planning!

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about getting on all the rides during peak season. If you stay for a full weekday you're pretty much guaranteed to get them all in. Especially if it happens to be rainy!

Ah, my area of expertise! Ok, if you want to kill two birds with one stone (so to speak), go do the Steam Whistle Brewery tour during your Downtown Toronto time. The tour is great and you get to try some of Ontario's favourite beer (well, one of many of Ontario's favourite beers lol). I've also heard great things about the Mill St Brewery tour, but I haven't done that one myself yet because I end up going to Steam Whistle every time I'm downtown lol. I love Steam Whistle beer and I always have fun and it's right beside everything else I usually go down there to do (it's right across the street from the Aquarium and CN Tower and conveniently close to Union Station).

I do want to kill two birds with one stone. The Steam Whistle Brewery tour sounds like a great idea, and something that must be added to my list. Especially since it's right across from the CN Tower and Aquarium. That's a great way to spend a majority of my day.

If when you mention "nightlife" you want to know about what clubs are good, then that's a whooooole different conversation lol. Toronto has endless nightclubs. Maybe decide what district of the city you want to stick to and then narrow it down from there, if you plan on going clubbing.

I'm all ears. I'll do some research (Y) .

There really is a ton to do in Southern Ontario.. If you decide to hit up the Niagara region you can do everything from the typical "Falls attractions" to the Butterfly Conservatory to wine tours, etc. Or if you want to explore the Vaughan area there is Dave & Busters (which I loooove if you want to have fun and have good food all in one go), you can catch an IMAX film at the Colossus, or do some shopping at Vaughan Mills (though unless you want something you can only find in Canada I would recommend shopping in the US). If you have kids you want to keep entertained, the South Simcoe Rail isn't too far from Vaughan. And you definitely won't run out of things to do Downtown Toronto. You can also check out our awesome local pubs for the "beer experience". I would suggest starting on John St. for the pubs. The Office Pub is one of my favourite go-to locations, and it's not far from other good ones like the Town Crier or the Friar. I never go hungry when I go to the Friar lol. You could also catch a show - there are always great concerts, and Toronto has really good theatre productions as well. I know Mirvish always has something good showing. Or you can stick to my favourite "touristey" attractions that everyone has already brought up (because they're classics!) - CN Tower, the Toronto Zoo (which, don't be fooled when you're planning, isn't anywhere near Downtown Toronto), the Distillery District, the Aquarium, etc.

Still not sold on Niagra Falls do to the travel involved, but if I go - I'll definitely hit up Dave & Busters, and make a brief appearance over the border (Gotta get that state credit!). Will have to check out the concerts going on too.

Good luck with your planning!

Thanks for that. It's much easier now

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about getting on all the rides during peak season. If you stay for a full weekday you're pretty much guaranteed to get them all in. Especially if it happens to be rainy!

I didn't think so, I've been to Cedar Point during peak season a few times, and outside of my first ever trip back in 05 (2 hours for Mantis...) - I've never had a problem.