TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Hello kind people of Canada, I'm making a trip up to Canada's Wonderland next year. Now, I could just google the answer - but I'm looking for things to do outside the park, and also the best way to circumnavigate the park to avoid long lines. Thanks in advance!

Hello kind people of Canada, I'm making a trip up to Canada's Wonderland next year. Now, I could just google the answer - but I'm looking for things to do outside the park, and also the best way to circumnavigate the park to avoid long lines. Thanks in advance!

It is a bit long, kinda like the whole travel guide

When you are outside of the park, one of the best things to do is to go to downtown Toronto. There are several things to do there like if you like hockey, you could go to the hockey hall of fame museum or you got to the CN Tower. The CN tower is one of my favorite things to do in Toronto because not only can you go up one of the tallest buildings in the world but you can also (if you have the nerve) do the CN Tower edge walk. And there is also the Toronto zoo and a few other museum's and stuff like that. If you are willing to travel around a hour to an hour and a half from Canada's Wonderland, you can go to Niagara Falls which is pretty sweet. One of my favorite things to do in Niagara Falls, is Marineland. Even though it only has one real coaster (which is a pretty awesome AD coaster) there are several unique things about this park. Like the have the tallest triple tower drop ride. But one of the main things about Marineland is the animals of course. Anyway Marineland is a pretty decent park and the lines are not that long either, so I would recommend it. Anyway back to Canada's Wonderland. First off all Canada's Wonderland has some pretty big lines, in fact it is the most visited seasonal park in North America. So if you go to Canada's Wonderland on a sunny summer day, FastLane is a must. But it really depends on when you go, like if you go in may or early June when everybody is still in school, then the lineup's will be decent. But if you are going during summer vacation there will be a lot of people, with one exception. Last summer I went when it was forecasting rain in the afternoon and the lineup's were practically empty. And the best thing about it is that it did not start raining till about 5 pm so I got to really enjoy the day. One other thing, try to get there as early as possible and start riding the good rides like Behemoth and Leviathan right when you get there. Try to bring your own lunch because the food there is really expensive, but the catch is that you have to eat it outside the park because you are not allowed to bring your own food in the park (you probably already know that) . Try to eat lunch a bit later than everyone else like at 2 pm so you will have shorter lines for the rides at lunch time. After around 4-6 pm, the lines will start getting shorter because a lot of people will go home. Now for the rides, Behemoth and Leviathan are obviously the best rides in the park, and when you ride Behemoth make sure you sit in the back. Wild Beast is pretty rough but they are retracting it so next season it might not be so rough. Vortex is decent, and Wonder Mountains Guardian is a fun shooting dark ride. Mighty Canadian Minebuster is rough for some people, but I would try out anyway. Backlot Stunt coaster is a pretty good Family ride. Time Warp and Flight Deck are a , I would not recommend them unless you like getting your head smashed. The flat rides are pretty unique like Sledge Hammer and Shockwave. Anyway if you came in two years the would probably have there new coaster. And finally, you must eat a Funnel cake, they are sooo delicious.

Anyway I hope this helps.

Edited by nicman

Thank you nicman. I know you guys are expecting a new coaster in two years, but I'm also expecting a new coaster at Valleyfair and Cedar Point (maybe wishful thinking?) so I was planning on hitting up CW this season. I'm pretty cheap, so I don't expect to get Fast Lane or Fast Lane plus or hit up Marine Land, especially after seeing a few reactions here. I've heard this park is smaller than Cedar Point, so I'm hoping to be able to hit up all the big attractions in two days, even during peak season. Is that a realistic goal? I know the capacity of the coasters isn't exactly top notch (outside of the big 2). Also, I was hoping for some info on single rider lines. This might be my first solo trip

The other stuff you mentioned outside of the park sound like things I'd be interested in; CN Tower, Niagra Falls, and maybe the zoo. Can anyone (presumably older) talk about the nightlife? Where can I get one of those strong Canadian Beers I've heard so much about?

Thank you nicman. I know you guys are expecting a new coaster in two years, but I'm also expecting a new coaster at Valleyfair and Cedar Point (maybe wishful thinking?)

I think Cedar Point will have to wait a few years now that they have Rougarou. I think Canada's Wonderland, Kings Dominion, and Valleyfair will get new coasters and possibly Michigan;s Adventure.

I've heard this park is smaller than Cedar Point, so I'm hoping to be able to hit up all the big attractions in two days, even during peak season. Is that a realistic goal? I know the capacity of the coasters isn't exactly top notch (outside of the big 2). Also, I was hoping for some info on single rider lines. This might be my first solo trip

This park is about the same size, if not larger than Cedar Point. If you're going for two days, I'm sure you could ride everything without a FastLane. I was there a few years ago during a slow day of the peak season and almost every queue was full. I would recommend checking out their website and make a plan of what rides you want to ride on which day(s). As well as the great coaster collection, they have a few unique flats like Night Mares, Orbiter, and Sledgehammer. From what I can remember, there were no single rider lines at all, but this may have changed since my visit. CW is an AMAZING park, and I'm sure you'll have an excellent time!

Since you only received one answer, I'll give you my two cents! (Though I'm American)

I made the trip up from Pennsylvania to Toronto this past July and I had an amazing time. We stayed at the Aloft hotel which was very close to the park in Vaughan. We felt that staying close to the park was the best option and it worked out well for us as we ended up being able to get to the park for a few hours each day we were there. When we weren't at the park, like nicman said is a great option, we were in downtown Toronto.

The easiest way that we found to get to Toronto (and cheapest) was to drive to the Yorkdale Mall (about 30min from the park via the 400 and 401. There is a TTC (train/subway) station for the Yonge-University Spadina line that will take you directly into downtown Toronto (and even right to the iconic CN Tower if you choose).

Downtown Toronto was awesome with tons of shopping all around the city, especially at the Eaton Centre, along with great restaurants. Walking around was a lot of fun!

Vaughan seemed like just more of a suburb, while downtown Toronto offered a lot more excitement.

Please note: If you plan on driving anywhere using the freeways (especially if you decided to drive to downtown Toronto instead of taking TTC) just know that traffic is heavy almost all day. It was very comparable to Los Angeles traffic (and I've heard several Canadians say that it's actually worse in Toronto).

Have fun!

I'm hoping to be able to hit up all the big attractions in two days, even during peak season. Is that a realistic goal?

That is absolutely doable. Depending on the day, you might even be able to knock everything out in one day.

I know the capacity of the coasters isn't exactly top notch (outside of the big 2). Also, I was hoping for some info on single rider lines.

Bad news...no single rider lines at the park. So...good luck with Backlot Stunt Coaster, lol.

The other stuff you mentioned outside of the park sound like things I'd be interested in; CN Tower, Niagra Falls, and maybe the zoo. Can anyone (presumably older) talk about the nightlife? Where can I get one of those strong Canadian Beers I've heard so much about?

Niagara Falls is quite a ways from Toronto and is a full day type of thing. It is worth it if you've never seen the falls before. If you want some beer, my favourite spot is Bier Markt. They have a couple of locations in downtown and a fantastic selection. They're always worth a stop.