TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

^As an enthusiast, you should know that a free-fall drop track was first used on roller coasters in 2010. WMG is technically a roller coaster....so....

Also, WMG does not "bounce" up and down, so TOT is completely different....it's just the concept they share. In terms of mechanics, Thirteen and WMG are extremely similar.

^As an enthusiast, you should know that a free-fall drop track was first used on roller coasters in 2010. WMG is technically a roller coaster....so....

Also, WMG does not "bounce" up and down, so TOT is completely different....it's just the concept they share. In terms of mechanics, Thirteen and WMG are extremely similar.

This is a stupid conversation. WMG has a lift followed by a five foot-ish drop. That's the only "coaster" part of the ride.

And no need to be so condescending. I know that ToT isn't a coaster either. I was simply trying to point out that drop tracks really aren't as revolutionary as you keep trying to say they are.

This is a stupid conversation. WMG has a lift followed by a five foot-ish drop. That's the only "coaster" part of the ride.

It actually isn't though. Park management has gone record to call this a coaster based off the fact that everything inside the mountain is gravity driven.

I agree, it is a very grey area in regards whether it's a coaster/credit or not, but the park and other sites are referring to WMG as a coaster.

The one thing the ending does have over other rides as well, it's the tallest of it's type of finale. It is about 30ft. Though that may not sound like a lot on paper it is definitely a great thrill.

It actually isn't though. Park management has gone record to call this a coaster based off the fact that everything inside the mountain is gravity driven.

I agree, it is a very grey area in regards whether it's a coaster/credit or not, but the park and other sites are referring to WMG as a coaster.

The one thing the ending does have over other rides as well, it's the tallest of it's type of finale. It is about 30ft. Though that may not sound like a lot on paper it is definitely a great thrill.

Yeah, really enjoyed the ending. A lot better than I expected to be!

^Couldn't agree more. I've only ridden Verbolten so that's the only thing I can compare it to, however I found WMG to be much more intense and kind of fitting to the ride.

I will agree that the ride is not perfect, but for what it is it's a fun way to start a day.

It will be neat to see what they do with the Zombie overlay. I know a lot of posts and finds seem to point to it being the same Triotech zombie movie used elsewhere but I am not quite sold on that. I believe we may see something similar but with some added modifications. Just not sure how they would be able to play that movie in the same style as WMG in relation to the movement of the cars and such.

Hey everyone. My name is Patty. Wonderland is my park. I'm looking forward to chatting with all of you. You probably have been talking about Wonderland for a long time. I've been going to Wonderland for a long time too but just recently discovered this site. Anything you want to know about me or my experiences/favourite rides at Wonderland, just ask, okay?

I still think WMG is a great ride. There are still a few glitches from time to time. On my last visit, our group all had next train re-rides since at least one car's blasters on each train weren't working during the morning, even after they had just "fixed" them. Always fun to get a huge score of zero... haha The staff on WMB is fantastic and very accommodating.

Hopefully a future upgrade will add 1080p video. Maybe that would help counter the dim lighting/ picture that is just part of any modern 3D experience. I still have a hard time making out what's happening in front of me since the picture seems dim and sometimes blurry.

The ending still gets me every time--I love it. It feels much more intense than 13.

Hopefully a future upgrade will add 1080p video. Maybe that would help counter the dim lighting/ picture that is just part of any modern 3D experience. I still have a hard time making out what's happening in front of me since the picture seems dim and sometimes blurry.

Hopefully they go all the way to 4k, like most theatres today. I'm not sure if increasing the resolution would counter the dim lighting, I think that's more about the projector quality and brightness (lumens), one reason why IMAX is such a superior format over all other theatre formats, but I hate the pixelation and I think that should be eliminated first . If they go too bright though, do you think it may interfere with the darkness of the ride, or the screen on the opposing side?

I think it's just inherent that a car moving along a giant screen will be blurry, just like when you turn your head a bit when watching a 3-D movie and it starts to get blurry if you don't watch it dead on. I read somewhere that Universal's Spider-man ride was designed using proprietary 3-D technology that takes into account your viewing angle for every step of the ride to eliminate the blur.

My biggest problem with WMG is that facing backwards, especially in the back car, is a far inferior experience. This is how I rode it the first time, and it was a huge letdown. Luckily I tried it again in the front seat, and I love it now. You can see all the mechanisms of the ride in the back, the track, the screens, etc. Also, those breaks in between are horrible, and this is how 50% of the riders experience it! Hopefully they upgrade this.

I doubt they will ever put another dark ride in at CW, but against popular opinion I would love for them to try again. I think there should be motion simulators in the seats/cars programmed to interact with what is on screen as well along with moving down the track to improve the experience.

Also, hopefully they figure out a way to incorporate the "smoke" into the finale again, at least to hide the mechanisms of the ride.

Have any of you guys been on Spider-man or Transformers at Universal? Did I hear that Cedar Point was getting a dark ride? I wonder if that one is going to be like WMG or Transformers? I know that there is a difference in how much money was spent on each ride, but now you can see the result. Not enough money spent = a ride with many problems and issues. It's only 10 million dollars, I say for Cedar Fair to take thier loses, rip the whole thing out and start over again, but do it right this time. What do you guys think?

^

Spiderman, Transformers (and to a lesser extent, DarKastle) are prohibitively expensive to any park not named Universal or Busch. They're incredible experiences, but most parks simply can't afford to spend that kind of money on a dark ride.

Does WMG have its faults? Definitely. But, it's still a fun ride overall and I don't hear many complaints about it when people exit the ride.

To just say "TAER IT DOWN!!!1!" is going more than a bit far.

Also, hopefully they figure out a way to incorporate the "smoke" into the finale again, at least to hide the mechanisms of the ride.

From what I have heard, they ran out of the fluid to make the fog in the finale. I would suspect this is just a quick fix of ordering more and perhaps they are waiting till Haunt to get that effect back up and running. Only time will tell I guess.

since it is already there, don't tear it down. build a huge queue with shiny things and themeing so it will keep more people away from the real rides.

anyhoo, on to more important things: Has anybody seen if they are starting to dismantle skyrider yet? Is there any news on what the new attraction that will replace it will be?

I am a fan of floorless coasters and B&M inverts. I would like to see a modern looping coaster. I was looking at kraken at sea world in orlando, and it is beautiful:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Krakencoaster.jpg

800px-Krakencoaster.jpg.a04afa7ec1cc31aae07291f674252e41.jpg

I want one!

since it is already there, don't tear it down. build a huge queue with shiny things and themeing so it will keep more people away from the real rides.

anyhoo, on to more important things: Has anybody seen if they are starting to dismantle skyrider yet? Is there any news on what the new attraction that will replace it will be?

I am a fan of floorless coasters and B&M inverts. I would like to see a modern looping coaster. I was looking at kraken at sea world in orlando, and it is beautiful

I've been saying for years that the thing the park needs more than anything else is a modern sit down looper. A floorless or even a standard sit down would be great to have. Granted, it's not the marquee attraction that the park seems to have be going for recently (e.g., Behemoth and Leviathan) but I think it would go over well with the GP.

There are two types of coasters that CW needs. A good inverting coaster and a good woodie. Let's face it, CW's two woodies are awful. They need a good one.

We could send Wild Beast down to the farm at darien too, and then get RMC to retrack Minebuster and add another 100 feet of height to the lift hill.

Make sure contract clearly states: Do not set fire to the coaster during construction.

We will have a whole new park before you know it...