TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Looks like Sky Rider sure has some dedicated fans:

This video immediately reminded me of South Park (in a good way).

I had a GREAT time during my first visit to Canada's Wonderland (and Sky Rider too!), I'll post a trip report soon. Wish I was still there...

Canadian humor has always confused me - is that real, or some Canadian bit?!?! If real, wow.

Not sure why they're so sad - it's FOR SALE!!! How often are you able to buy the ride they are removing? Now's the time, Luke! Start a fundanything or kickstarter, STAT!

Also, Luke & Laki sounds like a Canadian soap opera.

Luke: But I love you so much, Laki, you know that eh?

Laki: You get ooooooout of here Luke, just get ooooooooooooooout!

(ok, I've gone too far with this post)

^It doesn't have to fit in an exact interpretation category It took effort, for that they get kudos.

Why does the park still have the Volare and the hang-n-bang? I'm back home in Chicago and my ears are still ringing. Ouch. More importantly, why do people still ride them? I could see it as a dare, but not much else.

I seem to remember an interview where the park said they weren't quite done with the mountain yet, an that there was still room in there not occupied by Guardian. As much as I don't want a B&M wing rider at the park, how awesome would it be to have one interacting with the mountain (World's largest keyhole maybe?), as well as WMG vortex, and the lake.

If they did it right, and made it somewhat forceful, that'd be amazing IMO.

^As for Spine warp and flight deck,people usually ride them once, thinking they'll be fun, the vou never to ride them again. Hey, at least it takes the lines away from the good rides

As a side note, I've noticed this happen on drop zone with leviathan .. No line for the tower, as Leviathan steals the attention... While this is awesome for me, as i love Drop zone, and personally think it's got a far Better drop than the B&M next to it, I can't believe the GP won't even consider riding it.. Just re enforces my theory that what effects the GP most is the size of a ride.

Maybe Mamba is the new coasters name after all, considering they have to pay a yearly fee for trademarks. Notice how they abandon some or if you do a search, they search some and don't use.

Anyways still going through a bunch of files, but by September 2015 Canada's Wonderland will have a second guest entrance again for parking, and two haunted houses in the mountain again. That's all I've gotten from the reports between May 2013- June 2014 so far.

mamba.thumb.png.41e56e1a1433ac27724dd8c662c0a799.png

Mamba still trademarked and not used for for water slide.. NO ZIZ?

Maybe Mamba is the new coasters name after all, considering they have to pay a yearly fee for trademarks. Notice how they abandon some or if you do a search, they search some and don't use.

Anyways still going through a bunch of files, but by September 2015 Canada's Wonderland will have a second guest entrance again for parking, and two haunted houses in the mountain again. That's all I've gotten from the reports between May 2013- June 2014 so far.

Well, maybe this new entrance is gonna be near the back or side of the park in order to accommodate for more crowds. As for the name, i still say Rougarou will be what they use. I know the olympic venue thing is stupid, but I'm going with something that starts with "R" is a gut feeling.

^What do you mean by "entrance". If you mean an entrance to get into the actual park, that won't happen since the hospital is now under construction on the north side, on the south side you have a lake, and to the west you have a highway. If you mean "car entrance", that's a possibility.

Also, from what I understand, the two haunts in the mountain were never torn down anyways (they are completely out of the way from WMG).

And, there is the theory of multiple small Splash Works additions every year or so. So Mamba isn't out of the question for a slide....yet.

^What do you mean by "entrance". If you mean an entrance to get into the actual park, that won't happen since the hospital is now under construction on the north side, on the south side you have a lake, and to the west you have a highway. If you mean "car entrance", that's a possibility.

Also, from what I understand, the two haunts in the mountain were never torn down anyways (they are completely out of the way from WMG).

And, there is the theory of multiple small Splash Works additions every year or so. So Mamba isn't out of the question for a slide....yet.

Its a car entrance that Vaughan was talking about and it is going to be the same entrance they used before just reopening and slightly moved a bit.

^A giant hospital is being built on all that land. I wonder where it will go....

It will probably be rebuilt right beside the employee entrance, all I know is the city of Vaughan is covering the cost of rebuilding that car entrance as it was part of the agreement and it says it will start surveying the land in June 2014 which has already happened and construction of the finished new car entrance will be September 2015.

https://www.vaughan.ca/FAST/Pages/results.aspx?k=cedar%20fair%20zoning&s=All%20Sites

For those interested just use that search engine on the top and type things like cedar fair or canada's wonderland and other words like 2016, 2015, 2014 or zoning reports, or construction/building reports. Thats where I found a lot of this information I'm getting.

We also can expect to see the file for 2016 coaster when they release August construction request report which will be in 4 months time, I say August cause thats when they requested Guardian in 2013.

So has anyone else noticed a trend in building the record of different coaster in each of their top parks, so lets rule out some B&M coaster additions;

Cedar Point- B&M Wing Coaster (tallest/longest/fastest)

Carowinds- B&M Giga (longest/fastest)

Kings Island- B&M Invert (longest)

Kings Dominion- B&M floorless (longest)- but also Cedar Point may get a floorless if the rumor ends up having any truth to it.

Canada's Wonderland 2016 options- Floorless coaster cause Kings Dominions is a bit out dated but maybe not if Cedar Point gets one in 2015, Flyer coaster, sitting coaster (launched or tallest/fastest/longest)

I think a launched Flyer would be wicked and draw a lot of tourism to the park. Just saying, a launched flyer would be sick!

Edited by CedarFair1

I think a launched Flyer would be wicked and draw a lot of tourism to the park. Just saying, a launched flyer would be sick!

I actually don't think a launched flyer would be good....you'd be looking at the ground the entire time.....maybe it's just me, but I rather be looking forward during a launch.

I actually don't think a launched flyer would be good....you'd be looking at the ground the entire time.....maybe it's just me, but I rather be looking forward during a launch.

You know what coaster would fit in that space without having to go towards White Water Canyon, A Dive Coaster.

Station and lift head in same direction as Skyriders did, then a turn around on top of lift and then do what dives to best, dive loop up and then dive loop station.

1872233828_divecoaster.thumb.png.4a485f9948a4ffc63ec0db7bfd26d6f4.png

Well Cedar fair has always given Canada's Wonderland prototype attractions, and a B&M dive roller coaster does not exist in a single cedar fair park, this could be a possible addition but not within that space, and that would be one short coaster, i'm still mad at leviathan for not being long enough, not being what it could have been, and that "Worlds longest brake run" gives me the chills

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES, SKYRIDER!

SKYRIDER RETIRES TODAY AT 8:00PM

Happy Labour Day! It’s fitting that on Labour Day, one of the hardest working attractions at Canada’s Wonderland, SkyRider, is set for retirement. In just under an hour, SkyRider will enter its last day of service, ever. The winners of the park’s daily Facebook contests over the past week will have a spot on the last two trains out at 8:00pm this evening.

So what is SkyRider like to ride? It is a pure blast and a ton of fun, which is exactly what a roller coaster is meant to be. SkyRider is the perfect length to deal with roller coaster forces while standing up. It has a great mix of elements with the perfect intensity of accompanying forces that appear throughout a vertical loop, helix, airtime hills, trick track and bunny hops. The entry into the helix and the bunny hops in particular give an exceptional amount of stand up airtime—there really isn’t anything quite like it. After riding stand up roller coasters from different manufacturers from Japan to North America, this is why it's my favourite stand up roller coaster. I’m happy to have brought at least a few TPR members to the same conclusion over the years....at least I think!

Will SkyRider be missed? It is certainly a very polarizing ride depending on how comfortable standing up on a roller coaster actually is for riders. I will definitely miss it but I’m thankful for the memories and can’t wait to see what comes next. Canada’s Wonderland tells TPR that the location and size of land area that will become available after SkyRider’s retirement will open up a very exciting redevelopment project that will continue to make Canada’s Wonderland a leader in thrills throughout the industry.

Since 1981, this is Canada’s Wonderland’s first roller coaster retirement, which is quite an achievement in itself. The redevelopment opportunity to spark such a decision must be incredible, making it a great time to be excited about what the future will bring for park guests and us super fans alike.

The park isn’t able to share the timing and completion of the redevelopment project at this early stage but they have confirmed that the upcoming construction project will be very large in scope.

Are you up for taking in a bit of history before a very exciting future? If so, you have until 8pm today to enjoy a final ride on SkyRider.

Thanks for the memories, SkyRider!

ABOUT SKYRIDER

SkyRider opened in May 1985 as the first stand up roller coaster in Canada and only the second in the world with a loop at the time. SkyRider is located on 5,100 square metres of land (1.2 acres) in a prime location between the water park and Wonder Mountain. Its entrance sits directly across the Mighty Canadian Mine Buster.

NEW FOR 1985!

THERE AIN'T NO SEATS!

STATS

Opened: May 1985

Manufacturer: Togo Japan

Track length: 673m (2,210 ft)

Height: 27m (88ft)

Inversions (loop): 1

Speed: 82kph (51mph)

Last Ride: September 1, 2014 at 8:00pm

Riders: Approximately 23 million riders to date

PRESS RELEASE

Vaughan, ON (August 6, 2014) – After almost 23 million riders, Canada’s Wonderland will be saying goodbye to the iconic stand-up looping roller coaster, SkyRider. Monday, September 1, 2014 will be the last chance for riders to experience one of the legends in the roller coaster collection at the park.

SkyRider opened for riders in May, 1985 and was instantly a hit for coaster enthusiasts across North America. It was the first stand-up coaster to be built in Canada, and second in the world with a loop. 

“As the park evolves each year, we continue to focus on future park enhancements that will provide our guests with innovative entertainment and leisure experiences. To accommodate these enhancements, we need to make difficult decisions when considering redevelopment of the land for an improved guest experience in future years. After creating 29 years of memories for our guests, we wanted to make sure thrill seekers of all ages had advance notice of the SkyRider retirement, and an opportunity to enjoy one last ride before it closes at 8 p.m. on September 1,” Norm Pirtovshek, General Manager at Canada’s Wonderland.

PICTURES

SkyRider in pictures over the years from the park and my collection, including a last visit this month. Enjoy!

SkyRider-001.thumb.jpg.e9dbed5f5c729b0335db795be81145f9.jpg

It's all about SkyRider today! Thanks to Canada's Wonderland for the great picture!

SkyRider-002.thumb.jpg.0dc30d4b18e4877caa4a772b1b9abddb.jpg

Before SkyRider in 1984

SkyRider-003.thumb.jpg.865166e1fe4d4295067fbd3948344657.jpg

Canada's first stand up is now in the picture (1986 park map)

SkyRider-004.thumb.jpg.d484f387c656a7c1d7bf030709157caa.jpg

Thanks to Canada's Wonderland for the great picture!

SkyRider-005.thumb.jpg.7156ac991b54bb6e4716a4d362d1f6e0.jpg

Thanks to Canada's Wonderland for the great picture!

SkyRider-006.thumb.jpg.daa81706efec5b9c402deac2962d2f98.jpg

SkyRider-007.thumb.jpg.ba96d4c1e39cabe1dd5e471f44432416.jpg

SkyRider-008.thumb.jpg.35e25ba75dbea793f6e6f8bbc9aec56f.jpg

SkyRider-009.thumb.jpg.358719edd1d80cd333bbbf6d3eca41a4.jpg

Stand up airtime

SkyRider-010.thumb.jpg.819914c98f5546ec79758190ea421d1b.jpg

SkyRider-011.thumb.jpg.9ff14232acb537a8c0ef0ca96b420b64.jpg

SkyRider-012.thumb.jpg.ae77b507f72f11499d0957f75799f2b2.jpg

Something new is on the sign

SkyRider-013.thumb.jpg.cbb2f13b9aa4dc9999c7559e621e2432.jpg

It's true. SkyRider gives its last ride today at 8pm.

SkyRider-014.thumb.jpg.ec490ac4ce389804f5e76e2d50dc1105.jpg

One of the last trains, ever.

SkyRider-015.thumb.jpg.55954f1d31bfd47edb1ac03b96cff1e0.jpg

Airtime into the helix

SkyRider-016.thumb.jpg.9805eb61a26d9f775f6a8dc7b3b11377.jpg

SkyRider-017.thumb.jpg.ade5990634a737f3ebebeaeb95520848.jpg

SkyRider-018.thumb.jpg.f1ec7384928d1d8b554fced95aa11594.jpg

SkyRider-019.thumb.jpg.f40a58de8eef3dda9b508792145a5b6d.jpg

SkyRider-020.thumb.jpg.4d738e3c343889173c89cf54112e5941.jpg

Goodbye, SkyRider! Thanks for the memories.

Edited by rollin_n_coastin