TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

That would be my guess. Close to it.

Yes, there is more than just the purchase cost and all that but a very off year.

I am not complaining however. I look at it from the long term point of view. Less money spent this year means more for 2016 and beyond. I don't think we have anything to worry about for the future plans.

Another Marineland question (does a dedicated thread even exist?): the park stops admissions at 6pm, but stuff continues to operate. I've heard from one person that that's a lie; I emailed the park and they said the park continues after 6pm - including Dragon Mountain. How late does it go?

I also just talked to another friend who told me (besides how horrible and strange the park is) that Dragon Mountain has been widdled down to a one train operation. I'm most likely gonna stop in late in the day (around 4 pm) and wondering how many laps I'll be able to score on the old steel beast.

I'm going to be going to Wonderland here in a few days and the drive seems a tad confusing. I'm staying with a friend in Windsor and we're day tripping it out to CW from their house. I'll be coming into Detroit on I-75 North and I need to find their house in Windsor. I've been told that the Detroit-Windsor tunnel can me closer to my friend's house, but it looks a tad more complicated. The tunnel seems to involve going from 75 to Lodge freeway (MI-10) and following that around to the tunnel. On the other hand, Ambassador Bridge gets me further away but it looks a tad easier, though the way the exit from 75 looks a tad confusing. Anybody who's driven that route know what would be easiest for a new driver? I only got my license back in October of last year so I'm still a tad new and I've not driven through a city as big as Detroit before.

Getting there aside, we have a day for me to get all the creds there. How would you recommend getting all of them in one day? My top priorities are Leviathan, Behemoth, WMG, and Skyrider.

I can't speak about the hours of operations but last year when I was there, DM was indeed 1 train.

How long were the waits?

I don't know if a Marineland thread exists but it should just to keep the conversations focused.

Very good point... I cannot find a Marineland thread though Is it that unpopular?

Another question for those who know the CW area. I'll be driving up from Erie (Waldameer) and when I leave CW, I'll be driving across through Detroit back home to Chicago. A friend told me to avoid a certain toll way in Canada (the 407?) due to obscenely high tolls (he said he was charged something like $138 for 8 miles of toll road; and got the bill in the mail). Any advice?

^No way that is right (if you drive the ENTIRE highway, you pay 40 bucks, and I would imagine that's not what your planning on doing). Here is the current toll fee's for the highway (you would fall under the video recorded category).

http://www.407etr.com/tolls/rate-chart-2014.html

Maybe your friend was charged so much because of this:

A $50.00 Unrecognizable Plate Charge plus tolls per trip are billed to light vehicles without a valid transponder whose rear licence plate’s identifying features are altered, not visible to or recognizable by the toll system.

This might also come in handy if/when you know exactly what route you'll be taking (and if you'll be taking the 407):

http://www.407etr.com/highway/map.html

New for 2015!!!! Splashworks Expansion

From their Website

Canada’s Wonderland is also getting more spash-tacular! New for the 2015 season, Splash Works will be home to Typhoon, a thrilling new water slide featuring oscillating funnels and hairpin turns! As well, the 20-acre water park will introduce Splash Station, a wet and wild interactive children’s play area. Both new additions will join The Plunge, Super Soaker, the Lazy River, and many more of our water attractions that make Splash Works one of Canada’s largest water parks.

https://www.canadaswonderland.com/what-s-new/new-for-2015-typhoon-splash-station

And from Newsplusnotes

The first of the attractions is named Splash Station, and is described as a interactive play area for children. The park hasn't released any additional details on Splash Station, so it is hard to gauge exactly how large this area will be. It could be a full sized water play structure, but from the simple description given I think it might end up as a smaller version. It appears as though Splash Works only has one very small play structure with a tipping bucket right now, so regardless of the size Splash Station will be a welcome addition.

The second new ride is named Typhoon, a water slide that was originally built at Ontario Place but never opened and was removed when that park closed for good. Designed by Proslide, the two slides that make up Typhoon each feature two small funnels along the course, in which the rider's rafts oscillate up and down before continuing downward.

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2014/08/canadas-wonderland-expanding-splash.html

Finally the waterpark is getting a much needed expansion after 12 years of stagnation (2002-2014)

I'm going to be going to Wonderland here in a few days and the drive seems a tad confusing. I'm staying with a friend in Windsor and we're day tripping it out to CW from their house. I'll be coming into Detroit on I-75 North and I need to find their house in Windsor. I've been told that the Detroit-Windsor tunnel can me closer to my friend's house, but it looks a tad more complicated. The tunnel seems to involve going from 75 to Lodge freeway (MI-10) and following that around to the tunnel. On the other hand, Ambassador Bridge gets me further away but it looks a tad easier, though the way the exit from 75 looks a tad confusing. Anybody who's driven that route know what would be easiest for a new driver? I only got my license back in October of last year so I'm still a tad new and I've not driven through a city as big as Detroit before.

The bridge is much simpler, as you're simply exiting I-75 and following the ramp right onto it. On the Windsor side, you end up on a wide local road that should somehow lead you to your friend's place. You're not driving through Detroit at all that way.

^No way that is right (if you drive the ENTIRE highway, you pay 40 bucks, and I would imagine that's not what your planning on doing). Here is the current toll fee's for the highway (you would fall under the video recorded category).

http://www.407etr.com/tolls/rate-chart-2014.html

Maybe your friend was charged so much because of this:

A $50.00 Unrecognizable Plate Charge plus tolls per trip are billed to light vehicles without a valid transponder whose rear licence plate’s identifying features are altered, not visible to or recognizable by the toll system.

This might also come in handy if/when you know exactly what route you'll be taking (and if you'll be taking the 407):

http://www.407etr.com/highway/map.html

Thank you! It's amazing how simply everything is explained on those sites.

Another question for those who know the CW area. I'll be driving up from Erie (Waldameer) and when I leave CW, I'll be driving across through Detroit back home to Chicago. A friend told me to avoid a certain toll way in Canada (the 407?) due to obscenely high tolls (he said he was charged something like $138 for 8 miles of toll road; and got the bill in the mail). Any advice?

There's no way you will drive on the 407. It goes faster if you go on the 401 and the go on the 402 (in London) and do the Port Huron Bridge. It's less cheaper going through Port Huron. After you cross the bridge, you will be on 94 and you can get back to Chicago.

Edited by coasterchitchat

Coming back from CW just stick to highway 400 south and then 401 West all the way to Windsor. Or, once you get to London, it may be faster to take the 402 (Sarnia crossing) +94 to Detroit, unless you need to go through Windsor.

Getting there aside, we have a day for me to get all the creds there. How would you recommend getting all of them in one day? My top priorities are Leviathan, Behemoth, WMG, and Skyrider.

I happen to live outside Detroit.

Detroit Windsor Tunnel: I-75 North and take exit 50 to MI-10 (The Lodge) and then the freeway will end in Detroit. Follow the signs to the Windsor tunnel and you'll figure it out. After taking it out, good luck figuring it out! (Don't take it)

Ambassdor Bridge: Take I-75 North and then exit off at 47C and stay to the right. Then you'll be in Canada!

I might be visiting CW this Tuesday and I have a couple of questions.

1. On a weekday in August, how long are the lines usually?

2. Guardian doesn't have Fast Lane. Is the line worth it?

3. Should I get a Fast Lane Plus on a day like this?

If you have any more info about CW that you'd like add, please do!