TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

I still haven't ridden Leviathan due to my complete lack of interest in B&M...

Great! One less person in line:) Tell all your little friends how terrible B&M is so they won't get in line either! spread the news!!!

I'm very happy to see the end of this coaster. Even an empty plot of land would be an improvement.

How bad was this ride? It looks like it would be a fun ride with airtime. Wait, airtime on a stand-up, that must be painful.

I still haven't ridden Leviathan due to my complete lack of interest in B&M...

Great! One less person in line:) Tell all your little friends how terrible B&M is so they won't get in line either! spread the news!!!

Yes Everyone B&M is worse than Vekoma (that should shorten a line right!). Tell your friends to tell their friends! Oh, Intamins are terrible too!

I feel like a B&M flyer or dive coaster would be a better ride for Wonderland than an inverted coaster because we already have Flight Deck. Don't get me wrong, I would have no complaints about an invert but it just wouldn't be a logical investment. On the topic of a wing coaster, after riding Gatekeeper I have no desire at all to see a wing coaster model at Wonderland.

I feel like a B&M flyer or dive coaster would be a better ride for Wonderland than an inverted coaster because we already have Flight Deck. Don't get me wrong, I would have no complaints about an invert but it just wouldn't be a logical investment. On the topic of a wing coaster, after riding Gatekeeper I have no desire at all to see a wing coaster model at Wonderland.

But having two inverts in one park is so Canadian!

Well, it's official: Skyrider is on its way out.

VAUGHAN, ON, Aug. 6, 2014 /CNW/ - After almost 23 million riders, Canada's Wonderland will be saying goodbye to the iconic stand-up looping roller coaster, SkyRider. Monday, September 1, 2014 will be the last chance for riders to experience one of the legends in the roller coaster collection at the park.

SkyRider opened for riders in May, 1985 and was instantly a hit for coaster enthusiasts across North America. It was the first stand-up coaster to be built in Canada, and second in the world with a loop.

"As the park evolves each year, we continue to focus on future park enhancements that will provide our guests with innovative entertainment and leisure experiences. To accommodate these enhancements, we need to make difficult decisions when considering redevelopment of the land for an improved guest experience in future years. After creating 29 years of memories for our guests, we wanted to make sure thrill seekers of all ages had advance notice of the SkyRider retirement, and an opportunity to enjoy one last ride before it closes at 8 p.m. on September 1," Norm Pirtovshek, General Manager at Canada's Wonderland.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1394678/canada-s-wonderland-retires-iconic-stand-up-roller-coaster-skyrider-after-29-years

That's a little sad. Skyrider's an underrated ride, IMO, far better and smoother for some reason than its siblings. I rode it a couple years back just to get the credit, expecting a painful thrashing, and ended up enjoying it enough to go around a few more times.

R.I.P. Skyrider

While it had it's rough patches "cough" helix o death "cough", overall, the ride was IMHO, forceful, intense, airtime filled , and yes, for a 29 year old Togo, it was smooth.

Also loved that it was one of the oy rides I can think of off the top of my head that one can build an exact copy of in RCT3, with no mods or custom elements.

Here's to hoping an RMC takes up the space this great ride will be leaving empty.

If not an RMC, here's to hoping B&M bring the forces back, and build something that does justice to the Japanese airtime machine that stood their.

Edited by canadianparkfan

I am 100% in support of free speech and support everyone's opinion as valid, but all this talk about SkyRider being a smooth ride is making my nuts ache.

Maybe it depends on how short/tall/skinny/fat you are? On me, the Skyrider restraints were awkward but didn't hurt, and the ride was mostly smooth and awesome. I only ever rode in the front. In contrast, I had severe nut smashing on the Intamin tilt drop towers (SFoG and Movie Park Germany).

Well, it's official: Skyrider is on its way out.

VAUGHAN, ON, Aug. 6, 2014 /CNW/ - After almost 23 million riders, Canada's Wonderland will be saying goodbye to the iconic stand-up looping roller coaster, SkyRider. Monday, September 1, 2014 will be the last chance for riders to experience one of the legends in the roller coaster collection at the park.

SkyRider opened for riders in May, 1985 and was instantly a hit for coaster enthusiasts across North America. It was the first stand-up coaster to be built in Canada, and second in the world with a loop.

"As the park evolves each year, we continue to focus on future park enhancements that will provide our guests with innovative entertainment and leisure experiences. To accommodate these enhancements, we need to make difficult decisions when considering redevelopment of the land for an improved guest experience in future years. After creating 29 years of memories for our guests, we wanted to make sure thrill seekers of all ages had advance notice of the SkyRider retirement, and an opportunity to enjoy one last ride before it closes at 8 p.m. on September 1," Norm Pirtovshek, General Manager at Canada's Wonderland.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1394678/canada-s-wonderland-retires-iconic-stand-up-roller-coaster-skyrider-after-29-years

Maybe a nice park in Bangladesh will buy it.

I am 100% in support of free speech and support everyone's opinion as valid, but all this talk about SkyRider being a smooth ride is making my nuts ache.

It wasn't glass smooth, but it was smoother than Time Warp, Flight Deck, Wild Beast, Dragon Fire, Minebuster and The Bat (imo) so I always thought of it as one of the better coasters in the park.

I have a question for anyone that knows the park well. I've never been to CW and I'm thinking about going before or after a weekend at Conneaut/Waldameer (an ACE/WNYCC event), Sat Aug 23/Sun Aug 24. I'm trying to decide if it's better to go to CW before or after that event. When does school go back in? Like any coaster nerd, I'd rather go when the crowds are not as heavy. I've heard CW gets behemoth crowds...

(When I realized how close the park is to Waldameer, I decided I must go and ride Sky Rider! I loved KI's King Cobra back in the day. My one ride on KD's Shockwave was not good; I've heard Sky Rider was the best out of the 3.)

It wasn't glass smooth, but it was smoother than Time Warp, Flight Deck, Wild Beast, Dragon Fire, Minebuster and The Bat (imo) so I always thought of it as one of the better coasters in the park.

I personally found any straight bits on the ridee were pretty close to glass smooth. The only somewhat bothersome sections were the helix and the last turn around.

I have a question for anyone that knows the park well. I've never been to CW and I'm thinking about going before or after a weekend at Conneaut/Waldameer (an ACE/WNYCC event), Sat Aug 23/Sun Aug 24. I'm trying to decide if it's better to go to CW before or after that event. When does school go back in? Like any coaster nerd, I'd rather go when the crowds are not as heavy. I've heard CW gets behemoth crowds...

(When I realized how close the park is to Waldameer, I decided I must go and ride Sky Rider! I loved KI's King Cobra back in the day. My one ride on KD's Shockwave was not good; I've heard Sky Rider was the best out of the 3.)

If I were you I would definitely go the weekend before as the weekend after is a long weekend right before school starts (Sept. 2) so everyone usually tries to make it out that weekend for one last visit of the summer.

90% of the ride was fun and fairly smooth. It was just that the trick track segment was brutal and one of the most unpleasant maneuvers I have ever experienced on a coaster.

re: nutache, bend your knees a bit before they lock the seats and then stand flat footed for the ride. If that doesn't work maybe there is a cream you can apply afterwards. Then you could really look forward to riding.

I went on skyider this spring on `don't take your kid to the park day` and went on 5 or 6 times walk on/ reride. It was a good time. I don't think i would want to go back and face huge lineups just for one last ride.

I wonder if they are removing skyrider because it is in the way and disrupts the pathways. Maybe we can put up a petition to remove time warp and flight deck and relocate skyrider there. I remeber sfga was planning to remove whizzer and it was saved by public outcry. (skyrider is no whizzer, but is still worth riding).

I went to Canada's Wonderland on a relatively dead day a few years ago (Behemoth had a 15 minute wait and Vortex had a 10 minute wait). SkyRider was a walk-on and I was probably 1 of 5-10 people total on the ride. Did it have much lower ridership than the park's other major coasters?

^ i don't know how skyrider lineups are on a regular day, I chose to go on days that the park is not likely to be busy. (weekday before school out).

I think that I aiso found dragon fyre didn't have much lineup either. Oddly the bat had a longer line that day, considering you get an extra loop and corkscrew for your ride, and no sucky vekoma shuttle loop. Kids these days...

maybe they should pull a six flags stunt and run skyrider trains backwards...?