TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

In case you didn't know, this is the first coaster that Canada's Wonderland has closed. I can't say I will miss Skyrider, sure there are some great pops of air, but that helix is a deathtrap no matter where you sit on the ride.

Yes and no - Thunder Run used to be located outside as Blauer Enzian and was closed (then moved and rebuilt).

Sad news, Skyrider was one of my first roller coasters I went on. Splash Works will get a total makeover but I'm not sure they need all the space that Skyrider took up + the surrounding area... although Splash works does need a modern water playground that you see at most water parks, and they will obviously be adding new slides.

I do think this would be a great spot for ZiZ in 2016 (spaced out from Behemoth and Levi). Not sure where Ziz would go though, towards WWC or around the hill between Vortex and Cookie Café?

I do think this would be a great spot for ZiZ in 2016 (spaced out from Behemoth and Levi). Not sure where Ziz would go though, towards WWC or around the hill between Vortex and Cookie Café?

What is "ZiZ"?

The three main jewish lengendary beasts are Behemoth (land), Leviathan (water) and Ziz (air). I have a feeling CW will be getting a new coaster in a few years with the name Ziz. The air theme would fit with a wing coaster.

Edited by CoasterTycoon

Didn't the park say they looked at the wing model when deciding what Leviathan would be but they opted for the giga instead? Maybe this means they weren't impressed with the wing model.

Or it could be that they realized a giga was more marketable.

Maybe the time wasn't right for the Wing Rider? I've been on three and I personally just never was impressed. X-Flight was the best of them all but I think a lot of that has to do with the low to the ground profile and close call elements around the ride.

Either way, it's an exciting time to be a Wonderland fan.

Is this just me or is there a ridiculous amount of coaster closings this year?

This year has just been a typical year for coaster closures

So far, this year has just been the last year for SkyRider, Colossus, SFNE's Cyclone, Sea Viper, and Opa.

In 2013, it was the last year for KK's Greezed Lightnin', White Canyon, SFM's Medusa, Rolling Thunder, Holiday Park's corkscrew coaster, and Adventure City's wild mouse.

In 2012, it was the last year for Son of Beast, Rattler, Black Hole Express, Disaster Transport, Roller Soaker, and Speed (the chances of this re-opening is very low).

(Please do not reply to this topic with "Hey, you forgot to mention this coaster closure!")

If this coaster is anything like KD's Shockwave then I say good riddance...Maybe Shockwave will be next to go in the Cedar Fair chain. Never been much of a fan of stand up coasters at all. Also, I hardly doubt CW will get a major coaster in 2016 seeing how they just got one in 2012. Kings Dominion should be next in line to get the big money...However CW might get a smaller coaster.

Agreed! That is one of the best posts I've read in a while.

While the trick track section was brutal, I found the rest of the ride enjoyable. Those funny hills gave some frightening airtime and the vertical loop was wildly intense. In all honestly, I like SkyRider and Shockwave better than all of the B&M stand-ups I've been on since they are more intense and smoother.

I haven't ridden Skyrider the past three times we have visited.

I rode this a couple of times way back - I believe it was the 2nd year it opened and after taking a couple of laps on the one at KD in recent years, I had no desire to wait in a super long line (which Skyrider had) for a "a little better than Shockwave" experience.

I definitely like the idea of expanding the water park or adding a new wing coaster, although neither would make me (personally) overly giddy about making a trek up there next year.

Cheap Crown Royal at the Duty Free and a nice launched Mega Lite over the pond on the other hand....

I for one will not be crying over the loss of Skyrider...It is one of those coasters at Wonderland that I avoid when I visit the park. I think I have been on it 2 or 3 times in the last 5 years. The positive we all can take from this is that it won't take long till we see a new coaster pop up either in Skyriders spot or somewhere else in the park which I hope is not another B&M (but probably will be). would love and Intamin Blitz or some crazy RMC creation.

From Dave Phillips (VP of marketing and sales),

"Unfortunately, I can’t share with you the timing and completion of the redevelopment other than it will be a very large construction project."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/skyrider-canada-s-first-standup-roller-coaster-nears-its-end-1.2729311

Coaster or more?

My money is still on a Splashworks expansion. Imaginary money. But still.