TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

MF seems like it has it's club of fanboys and haters, though.

I think MF just leaves some enthusiasts wondering how something so tall, so massive, with such great elements be so... forceless? No pun intended.

On the topic of Wonderland, what about 2015?

Waterslides and the transformation of SplashWorks to Soak City maybe?

I was disappointed after Holiday World failed to deliver the world's first B&M Wacky Worm. Maybe Canada's Wonderland will surprise me!

Okay, now I'm being serious. It seems like a lot of parks are adding new slides (Carowinds, Worlds of Fun, Dorney Park, Cedar Point, possibly Kings Dominion). So I think that Canada's Wonderland will follow this trend. Hopefully Guardian will get worked on, as it seems unfinished from what I've seen.

I sure hope so.

I walked through Splash Works quickly after exiting SkyRider, and damn that water park looked weak.

It felt like I had stepped back in time. None of the attractions seemed all that new, or thrilling really. I would take WWK at Dorney any day. I just find it surprising for CW to be so lacking in such a large area.

I sure hope so.

I walked through Splash Works quickly after exiting SkyRider, and damn that water park looked weak.

It felt like I had stepped back in time. None of the attractions seemed all that new, or thrilling really. I would take WWK at Dorney any day. I just find it surprising for CW to be so lacking in such a large area.

I think since Splashworks is only open for 2 and a half months, making large investments into a part of the park that isn't even open for half the season isn't a priority for the park. However, it does need money put into it sometimes and it looks like that is the focus for next year.

But then again, Six Flags does OK with opening new attractions half way through the season.

It would be great if they could take a look at some of the really good regional park/ water park locations for inspiration. Holiday World and even Splash Country USA come to mind. It would be awesome having a water coaster as an anchor. Who wouldn't want a Wildebeest or Mammoth? Even Typhoon at SFNE and Deluge at Kentucky Kingdom are a ton of fun.

One thing I hope they don't do is look to Cedar Point. Soak City there, as an upcharge attraction, was such a generic and uninspiring place to be. I'm not sure if it's changed any in the past few years.

Well, it's official: Skyrider is on its way out.

VAUGHAN, ON, Aug. 6, 2014 /CNW/ - After almost 23 million riders, Canada's Wonderland will be saying goodbye to the iconic stand-up looping roller coaster, SkyRider. Monday, September 1, 2014 will be the last chance for riders to experience one of the legends in the roller coaster collection at the park.

SkyRider opened for riders in May, 1985 and was instantly a hit for coaster enthusiasts across North America. It was the first stand-up coaster to be built in Canada, and second in the world with a loop.

"As the park evolves each year, we continue to focus on future park enhancements that will provide our guests with innovative entertainment and leisure experiences. To accommodate these enhancements, we need to make difficult decisions when considering redevelopment of the land for an improved guest experience in future years. After creating 29 years of memories for our guests, we wanted to make sure thrill seekers of all ages had advance notice of the SkyRider retirement, and an opportunity to enjoy one last ride before it closes at 8 p.m. on September 1," Norm Pirtovshek, General Manager at Canada's Wonderland.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1394678/canada-s-wonderland-retires-iconic-stand-up-roller-coaster-skyrider-after-29-years

I am both sad and happy to see this go.

It's never been the best ride in the park by no means, however it kind of just been part of the park heritage. One of the few coasters that would actually make it into park commercials as most the other footage was from other parks in the chain (Paramount or Cedar Fair).

You will bet I will be there on Sept 1st to close the ride out.

I have two trains of thoughts for what the area could be used for.

First would be the most obvious, and that would be expansion for Splash Works and a possibly rebranding to Soak City. With the area being so close to Splash Works and nothing else in that area anymore it would be logical to do that.

Secondly, would yes, be the station/start/brake of a new coaster. Whether this is a launched B&M or something else who knows. I personally am hoping we do not see a Wing Rider, launched or not, in our park. Though I will be grateful to have a new coaster, I have not been a fan of wing riders. I'd much rather see B&M revisit the floorless or perhaps another company all together come in and do something. Have it interact with White Water Canyon and whatnot.

Either way, I am excited for the next 2 years for sure.

This really seems like it's going to be an expansion area for the waterpark. It's really the only way they could expand it.

Don't forget the area where the drop slides used to be as well as a lot of area between Mindbuster and the wave pool.

Plenty of area for sure, but with the timing and such, it would seem to be a Splash Works/Soak City expansion and re-brand.

Well this just made my morning a little sad. This is my favorite stand up coaster by far. I agree that it most likely will be used for Splash Works expansion. If they put in something like Mammoth, then yes...removing Sky Rider will be worth it.

It's odd that they worked so hard to keep something like Dragon Fire on the other hand, which I understand is because it still has very high ridership.

Sad news. I *love* Sky Rider. I know I'm in the minority, but I think it's an amazing ride in the front "seat." The airtime is unbelievable. I have no idea why this one is so much better than the King's Dominion (and formerly King's Island) versions.

Sad news! I unexpectedly enjoyed this ride a lot. The firstdrop in the backrow is great!

I also wonder if and how they are going to replace this. The entrance to the waterpark was always kind of hidden behind skyrider, maybe they can open up this area now.

*In the video i noticed the last rides are planned for september. This could be well in time for a strart of a big construction.

I loved this ride as well, but mostly for sentimental reasons. I remember riding in spring 1985 and proudly wearing my SkyRider painters cap (with flaps!) that summer.

The fireworks will lose a great setting now.

A few years ago, I had asked Raffi about renovations or expansion to Splash Works, and he said at the time, they couldn't make the economics on that work. Maybe that has changed now? That part of that park is looking pretty dated. A proper water playground a la Hersheypark, plus a new slide tower (maybe like Dorney's Snake Pit) would be welcome. Interestingly, at the same event, he also made comments about what a pain the arse it was keeping old rare rides like SkyRider in operation...