TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

As a coaster-enthusiast park, it's definitely lacking. But as a family (i.e. the target market) park, I would say it's Cedar Fair's best. The attendance numbers seem to bear this out. I am sure the revenue numbers are healthy as well. Now if they could only improve the speed/efficiency of their ride loading...

Unfortunately, Paramount had no motivation to build anything decent. The park saw its largest attendance increase when they added what just placed in the Mitch poll as the worst roller coaster in the world. They only spent $4 million on that ride. The park never had any major competition so they never had to worry about quality.

^Being this is their most attended seasonal park it would only make sense to build it up.

The park is really starting to fill out it's collection of coasters and truly does have one of the best flat ride collections out there.

Apart from Time Warp, which really could be removed and I doubt anyone would care, this park hasn't built an inversion in nearly 20 years. Obviously that has much to do with Paramount doing very little and Cedar Fair then wanting to make a statement with Behemoth and Leviathan. At this point though a layout similar to that of Fahrenheit at HersheyPark would be ideal for this park. Compact ride with features that are non existent in the park.

Went to the park today from 1pm to around 6 and I guess everyone was watching the World Cup final because the park was pretty much dead as far as line-ups were concerned. Leviathan was a walk-on to 2 train wait the entire time and this is where I love Wonderland because despite the very short line they kept all three trains on the track. If this was Six Flags it would have been a one-train operation...guaranteed.

Anywho...we finally got to see the new Cirque show and I was'nt really impressed. Sure the production value was much better than the previous version but I found it lacking the same element of danger. For me the highlight of the show were the two Clown "hosts". They were funny clowns

Oh...and I kept looking at Wild Beast and found myself wondering what Rocky Mountain Construction could do with that ride. There is quite a bit of free space behind it and over towards behind the kids area.

I am also in agreement that this park could use a boost in the coaster department. Heck, I'd be happy if they joined up with RMC to re-track their wooden coasters with topper track. Maybe a few minor re-profiles too. And of course one of them could get a full Iron Horse treatment. This could truly be a window of opportunity for CW.

As much as i would love them to remove sky rider, why not remove time warp and flight deck for a new coaster. I mean one could hope they would remove all three and put in something fantastic that isn't a torture device?

Got a survey in my email today from CW. It was more about my experience at the park rather than what new attractions I would like to see. I let them know a waterpark expansion, and one more good coaster would make Wonderland much better. This year at the park has been great so far, and with an expanded waterpark along with a new coaster (Wing Rider or Intamin Blitz??) would make CW a perfect park.

Got a survey in my email today from CW. It was more about my experience at the park rather than what new attractions I would like to see. I let them know a waterpark expansion, and one more good coaster would make Wonderland much better. This year at the park has been great so far, and with an expanded waterpark along with a new coaster (Wing Rider or Intamin Blitz??) would make CW a perfect park.

Were you given options of what kinds of coasters?

I will be heading to Toronto in a couple of weeks and we are planning a day at CW. The fast lane passes sound like a must have for mid summer so, despite the cost, I will be getting them for my family of 4. My question is, if we are getting the fast lane passes anyway, does it matter which day of the week we go? Will the fast lane passes be just as quick on a very busy day as they are on a not so busy day?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I have a short trip report and figured I'd plop it in here.

So I finally made my first visit across the border into Ontario to Canada's Wonderland!

I visited the park for a few hours each day from Monday 7/21/14 - Thursday 7/24/14, and I can definitely say that overall, I was quite pleased with the park. The park was very clean, restrooms (or "washrooms" to the Canadians) were spotless and well maintained. Food prices were average (gotta love that 15% off Season Pass perk, and all rides were up and running very well. Staff was friendly (for the most part).

Ride Reviews:

•Wonder Mountain's Guardian (1x) - Waited about 30mis. It was good, but the quality of the video screens and the theming of the ride did not seem all that well done. It was absolutely a fun ride, but it would have been a total let down without the drop section at the end. 6/10

•Leviathan (6x) - Awesome ride! The speed is insane and the airtime is a bonus! I like how this ride traverses close to the ground at a few points, as the close proximity heightened the sense of speed. Definitely re-rideable and the total gem of the park! 10/10

•Behemoth (4x) - The speed obviously isn't on par with Leviathan, but the airtime was great (from all seats, even front row), and the length of the ride is a plus! It's a quality ride, and totally re-rideable. At some points the line for this was longer than Leviathan. 9/10

•Backlot Stunt Coaster (1x) - Short, but packs a punch. As the only true "launched" coaster at Wonderland, it definitely fills a void, yet is still family-friendly I think. The restraints weren't all that comfortable, but the ride was still enjoyable. 6/10

•Dragon Fire (1x) - Sat in the front row, and did enjoy it a bit. Restraints weren't too comfortable, and I really dislike that Arrow "whip" on the turns. The loops were incredibly forceful as always. 5/10

•Drop Tower (0x) - It broke down while I was in line, so I decided to head over to Leviathan instead. The drop did look pretty strong though!

•Flight Deck (0x) - Sat down in my seat at about 9:30pm, and it closed due to lightning in the area. I think I was spared though. This thing looked brutal. I could see the heads smashing the harnesses from the ground. Yikes! New trains please!

•Mighty Canadian Minebuster (2x) - Rode in the front seat twice, and thoroughly enjoyed both of my rides! A few bumps a long the way, but the layout was paced well and that helix at the end was intense, but not too rough! Definitely re-rideable in the front seat at least. 7/10

•Wild Beast (1x) - Rode in the middle. Wow this thing SUCKED. It tracked horribly, and not one person seemed to really enjoy their ride, unfortunately. It has potential to be a nice little woody, but it's not up to par sadly. 4/10

•Vortex (2x) - I really enjoyed this ride, though it made me a bit dizzy! There is some unpleasant back-and-forth movement around the turns, but nothing strong enough to severely diminish the quality of the ride. This thing swung like crazy, and appeared to be very popular despite its age. Definitely re-rideable. 7/10

•Time Warp (1x) - Wow, this thing SUCKED! Head smashing over and over and over. Would look great as a pile of scrap metal. Unacceptable. 0/10

•Thunder Run (1x) - Cute. Families seemed to really enjoy it, though the theming was sub-par in my opinion. 5/10

•The Bat (0x) - I've been on Sidewinder's new train at Hershey many times, and didn't feel like ruining my opinion of boomerangs since it has the old trains, so I skipped this one.

•SkyRider (2x) - All I can saw is WOW, I WAS IMPRESSED! I know many people have posted negative things about this ride, but I found it to be the best stand-up I've ever ridden (only others I've experienced are GL at SFGadv and RR at SFMM). The airtime, if that's what you call it on a StandUp, was INSANE and my feet were repeatedly off the floor! I found the restraints to be comfortable and I just loved the whole experience overall! 9/10

So that's everything I rode! Unfortunately I didn't ride SledgeHammer or Psyclone as I can't spin or swing without feeling nauseated.

Thanks for reading!

Some pictures:

IMG_9053.thumb.jpg.f69f4a77733438e76413b4881fa43a86.jpg

The park was very crowded on Monday because the weather was beautiful.

IMG_9054.thumb.jpg.22e0da8b735770ffe78816a995f7d096.jpg

Wonder Mountain in all it's glory!

IMG_9055.thumb.jpg.2564161cf75c69ba5a22f844cf44b95c.jpg

I loved the stunt diving show off the falls!

IMG_9060.thumb.JPG.9652afc17f1f65120e5275107105c94a.JPG

BEHEMOTHHHHHHTHTHTHTH

IMG_9121.thumb.jpg.79509fcb22fc3d8a12e0517546a0452f.jpg

LEVIATHAN!!!!!!!!

IMG_9147.thumb.jpg.45e7e7a49461101177e8e1bda0cd3785.jpg

Hey, it's me!

As much as i would love them to remove sky rider, why not remove time warp and flight deck for a new coaster. I mean one could hope they would remove all three and put in something fantastic that isn't a torture device?

Whilevi'd love to see an RMC over a wing coaster at CW, I could totally see the park removing time warp, as well as the kings wood theatre, to build a wing coaster adding onto the military/flight theme they've already got going with flight deck. Sort of like they built leviathan's station to look like it always fit into Medevil fair, or how WMG looks like the supports are part of the mountain etc.

Hey everyone! I have a short trip report and figured I'd plop it in here.

So I finally made my first visit across the border into Ontario to Canada's Wonderland!

I visited the park for a few hours each day from Monday 7/21/14 - Thursday 7/24/14, and I can definitely say that overall, I was quite pleased with the park. The park was very clean, restrooms (or "washrooms" to the Canadians) were spotless and well maintained. Food prices were average (gotta love that 15% off Season Pass perk, and all rides were up and running very well. Staff was friendly (for the most part).

Ride Reviews:

•Wonder Mountain's Guardian (1x) - Waited about 30mis. It was good, but the quality of the video screens and the theming of the ride did not seem all that well done. It was absolutely a fun ride, but it would have been a total let down without the drop section at the end. 6/10

•Leviathan (6x) - Awesome ride! The speed is insane and the airtime is a bonus! I like how this ride traverses close to the ground at a few points, as the close proximity heightened the sense of speed. Definitely re-rideable and the total gem of the park! 10/10

•Behemoth (4x) - The speed obviously isn't on par with Leviathan, but the airtime was great (from all seats, even front row), and the length of the ride is a plus! It's a quality ride, and totally re-rideable. At some points the line for this was longer than Leviathan. 9/10

•Backlot Stunt Coaster (1x) - Short, but packs a punch. As the only true "launched" coaster at Wonderland, it definitely fills a void, yet is still family-friendly I think. The restraints weren't all that comfortable, but the ride was still enjoyable. 6/10

•Dragon Fire (1x) - Sat in the front row, and did enjoy it a bit. Restraints weren't too comfortable, and I really dislike that Arrow "whip" on the turns. The loops were incredibly forceful as always. 5/10

•Drop Tower (0x) - It broke down while I was in line, so I decided to head over to Leviathan instead. The drop did look pretty strong though!

•Flight Deck (0x) - Sat down in my seat at about 9:30pm, and it closed due to lightning in the area. I think I was spared though. This thing looked brutal. I could see the heads smashing the harnesses from the ground. Yikes! New trains please!

•Mighty Canadian Minebuster (2x) - Rode in the front seat twice, and thoroughly enjoyed both of my rides! A few bumps a long the way, but the layout was paced well and that helix at the end was intense, but not too rough! Definitely re-rideable in the front seat at least. 7/10

•Wild Beast (1x) - Rode in the middle. Wow this thing SUCKED. It tracked horribly, and not one person seemed to really enjoy their ride, unfortunately. It has potential to be a nice little woody, but it's not up to par sadly. 4/10

•Vortex (2x) - I really enjoyed this ride, though it made me a bit dizzy! There is some unpleasant back-and-forth movement around the turns, but nothing strong enough to severely diminish the quality of the ride. This thing swung like crazy, and appeared to be very popular despite its age. Definitely re-rideable. 7/10

•Time Warp (1x) - Wow, this thing SUCKED! Head smashing over and over and over. Would look great as a pile of scrap metal. Unacceptable. 0/10

•Thunder Run (1x) - Cute. Families seemed to really enjoy it, though the theming was sub-par in my opinion. 5/10

•The Bat (0x) - I've been on Sidewinder's new train at Hershey many times, and didn't feel like ruining my opinion of boomerangs since it has the old trains, so I skipped this one.

•SkyRider (2x) - All I can saw is WOW, I WAS IMPRESSED! I know many people have posted negative things about this ride, but I found it to be the best stand-up I've ever ridden (only others I've experienced are GL at SFGadv and RR at SFMM). The airtime, if that's what you call it on a StandUp, was INSANE and my feet were repeatedly off the floor! I found the restraints to be comfortable and I just loved the whole experience overall! 9/10

So that's everything I rode! Unfortunately I didn't ride SledgeHammer or Psyclone as I can't spin or swing without feeling nauseated.

Thanks for reading!

Some pictures:

Nice pictures! Looks like I need to head to Canada's Wonderland someday

How does this compare to i305 and millennium force?

:

Especially during the helix it packs a punch.

It's been a while since I've ridden Millennium Force, but I would say I like them equally. The only thing MF might have over Leviathan is the tunnels and the surrounding foliage. Leviathan is just plopped over the entrance. And sadly, I have yet to experience I305.

It's been a while since I've ridden Millennium Force, but I would say I like them equally. The only thing MF might have over Leviathan is the tunnels and the surrounding foliage. Leviathan is just plopped over the entrance. And sadly, I have yet to experience I305.

Having ridden all three all of them are different experiences.

Leviathan: Airtime and Smoothness

Millennium: Drop, Tunnels and Lengthiness

I305: Intensity and speed

All three are in my top 10. I enjoy them all in different ways, Leviathan is definitely a great ride though. I love the airtime. I'm gonna go full out opinion and say that it is a bit better than Millennium Force, but not quite I305. I305 is the only Giga I have ridden and then afterwards questioned what just happened to my body.

Leviathan is pretty similar to Millennium Force. It's built to give a sensation of speed and has graceful curves. Leviathan does have more air than Millennium Force though.

However, I305 is in a completely different category than either of the two other North American gigas. I305 is all about balls to the wall intensity. When you get off Leviathan or Millennium Force, you're thinking "hey, that was pretty fun!", when you get off I305 you're thinking "holy crap, that was insane!".

For me, I'd rank them I305 > Millennium Force > Leviathan. Though your mileage may vary.

Leviathan is pretty similar to Millennium Force. It's built to give a sensation of speed and has graceful curves. Leviathan does have more air than Millennium Force though.

However, I305 is in a completely different category than either of the two other North American gigas. I305 is all about balls to the wall intensity. When you get off Leviathan or Millennium Force, you're thinking "hey, that was pretty fun!", when you get off I305 you're thinking "holy crap, that was insane!".

For me, I'd rank them I305 > Millennium Force > Leviathan. Though your mileage may vary.

This is exactly how I rank them as well. Leviathan is almost a B&M version of Millennium Force, yet, Millennium Force feels noticeably faster, more intense and longer after the first drop. Like many newer B&Ms, Leviathan's airtime is mostly in the last few rows and best in the last row. The surroundings at CP give Millennium Force a bit of an edge--it's one of the nicest looking coasters out there with great views of the water and park. Airtime on Millennium Force, for me, was noticeable after the first drop two times -- the large hill after the turn around and the low to the ground hill beside the station. Leviathan has the low to the ground hill and both large hills after the drop, so really, one more. But these are speed machines overall and fantastic ones at that.

This brings me great joy. Sky Rider is still my favourite stand up. The first reason is the stand up air time. How crazy is that? Second is the length--it's not too long and not too short. That's why the old Intamin stand ups and Georgia Scorcher are right up there for me as well. I hope CW keeps taking great care of this classic.