TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

So...the stats of Wonder Mountain's Guardian are...

Height: 59 ft / 18 m

Length: 1,093 ft / 333 m

Does anyone happen to know the speed stat? Based on what little video footage there is, it looks like it may only be around 20-25 mph.

Odd how Cedar Fair didn't market this as a coaster but did for Northern Lights at Valleyfair. Course this means that Cedar Point is no longer the Cedar Fair Coaster Capital.

So...the stats of Wonder Mountain's Guardian are...

Height: 59 ft / 18 m

Length: 1,093 ft / 333 m

Does anyone happen to know the speed stat? Based on what little video footage there is, it looks like it may only be around 20-25 mph.

Odd how Cedar Fair didn't market this as a coaster but did for Northern Lights at Valleyfair. Course this means that Cedar Point is no longer the Cedar Fair Coaster Capital.

Cedar Fair Parks are Operated as their own Individual Business Units with their Own Marketing Departments.

INTRODUCING WONDER MOUNTAIN'S GUARDIAN: AN ALL-NEW 4D INTERACTIVE DARK RIDE

OPENED MAY 24, 2014

Happy weekend everyone. How about starting off with some eggs, bacon and a fight with a dragon or two? It’s not so far fetched. Read on.

This week, TPR was invited to a photo tour of Canada’s Wonderland’s 17th rollercoaster, Wonder Mountain’s Guardian. Although it is a 1,000 ft long roller coaster, the star of the show truly is Montreal-based Triotech’s interactive media content, making Wonder Mountain’s Gaurdian a first of its kind at this scale. Custom 3D animation is projected on a screen that spans 427 ft in length by 13 ft in height, making it the world's largest interactive screen. On this ride, a touch of new meets old as swords give way to modern blasters. Speakers and blasters at each seat and realtime interaction with the on-screen characters create an immersive 4D environment. You can’t help but feel like you’re in another world as soon as your train flies into the mountain. The only way out is by participating in a spectacular finale between just you and a dragon.

I had the chance to ride twice in both the front and back of the train, facing both directions. There wasn't a major difference in ride experience other than being a lot more nervous about going backwards. The trains were comfortable as was the coaster portion. The main coaster section takes place at the beginning of the ride, which really wakes you up before heading into the mountain to do battle with a variety of characters. To know how to locate yourself in this interactive world, each blaster has a coloured dragon that corresponds to your on screen colour. The blasters are accurate and very easy to get the hang of. You’ll definitely need to ride more than twice to get to know the story and find all of the hidden secrets to help get you to first place in the Hall of Fame as quickly as possible. This alone makes Wonder Mountain’s Gaurdian very re-ridable. The park is also able to change the animation, giving the ride a whole new story and experience during special events—think of the possibilities during Halloween Haunt.

Wonder Mountain’s Guardian sets a new benchmark for interactive attractions at seasonal parks. There really is nothing quite like it out there. Guests were very enthusiastic about the ride and very much enjoying it. If you aren’t that competitive a person when it comes to the current flock of shooting dark rides, you will be. This ride is pure fun from start to finish and a perfect addition to the park. Now that Guardian is here, it’s hard to imagine the park without it.

Ride Information at a Glance:

Type: Interactive 4D Dark Ride-Coaster Combo

Guest Height Requirement: Accompanied between 42’’-48’’, Unaccompanied 48’’ +

Track Length: 1,000 ft

Foot Print: 23,180 sq ft

Ride Vehicles: 5 trains seating 8 passengers per train

Guest Capacity: Approx. 650 guest per hour

Canada’s Wonderland continues to work on a way to film the ride, which isn’t yet possible due to the 3D projections making footage unusable. We’ll be sure to share video footage as soon as the opportunity comes up.

A huge thanks to Canada’s Wonderland for sharing an up close look at its newest one of a kind attraction.

WMG-001.thumb.jpg.e7ec0c568f80b35c70bd88658b057d1c.jpg

WMG-002.thumb.jpg.f9db8fa292d2638f1973e33a7ef425c8.jpg

Enjoy the pics!

WMG-003.thumb.jpg.a4ef2a5f190a0d9c222fd4c41ff0e0d0.jpg

Fun stats and facts for the coaster fan in all of us.

WMG-004.thumb.jpg.c796723d3807592c45d32cdca44ad882.jpg

WMG-005.thumb.jpg.71acfc04404bcdc2eb640e069d468f2c.jpg

Wonder Mountain's Gaurdian is located on the South side of Wonder Mountain, across from International Showplace.

WMG-006.thumb.jpg.4b5c50c0dfaa6ad2e216bd13c7b8d269.jpg

WMG-007.thumb.jpg.694b7ccc722c726a95ee67cef95c5c11.jpg

WMG-008.thumb.jpg.cd6591ce6b4230ce0644d607d81e30cc.jpg

WMG-009.thumb.jpg.a0d09c5d3824d31be82f2bf0ecfdd68b.jpg

WMG-010.thumb.jpg.19da49834fb9c88dd59e8f08417c526f.jpg

WMG-011.thumb.jpg.850f2b345d5086c54c5cc90af424332f.jpg

WMG-012.thumb.jpg.c88c5758ab6eaecfc2cab90d5b34f40b.jpg

WMG-013.thumb.jpg.0ccacefb46ea0a586c6e6f4fefb056b1.jpg

WMG-014.thumb.jpg.8f0266d001c59bdc074c8045a24267ee.jpg

WMG-015.thumb.jpg.4c42ac9a20480fa9e9327ed74012f001.jpg

WMG-016.thumb.jpg.cf82d9eb009bc6d785aa53d00a314a44.jpg

Let's head inside

WMG-017.thumb.jpg.8c9f6335801f0287db716b9a584cac34.jpg

WMG-018.thumb.jpg.6eff4d843219aec016d7c98d02655cf2.jpg

Indoor queue area

WMG-019.thumb.jpg.b4c1e1a460377b83c144e7954a1c65c4.jpg

WMG-021.thumb.jpg.082da77b6ff5c566b14c5ba3698cb127.jpg

WMG-022.thumb.jpg.3d4f15021b03fa5f6235040a064532a8.jpg

WMG-023.thumb.jpg.6f5b98d7a0f4d7734a1cdb463ee82563.jpg

WMG-024.thumb.jpg.3a9588456238208721e50636c2f694e0.jpg

WMG-025.thumb.jpg.c4e28e48ecfc5a42a226f842bd7676bd.jpg

WMG-026.thumb.jpg.d81824361b783588cf66f47e2de52f75.jpg

WMG-027.thumb.jpg.26485b706b4e874f8c5a820ebcba37e9.jpg

The next few photos are of the return section to the station.

WMG-028.thumb.jpg.3e56c67f0dccca25f3e8cfea78fca89d.jpg

It looks like everyone took care of the dragon.

WMG-029.thumb.jpg.3a41cc44f0b59e69bc16129d0d84691f.jpg

The last 3D screen with top scores

WMG-030.thumb.jpg.0025a06dfdf1079c5c29be7613fc673d.jpg

WMG-031.thumb.jpg.f94b6a3a0d100e4ef5ac5c670661ac04.jpg

Please put on your 3D glasses :)

WMG-032.thumb.jpg.b5c047625c072347f7903e0c23dda65d.jpg

A look at the station

WMG-033.thumb.jpg.89205508a86762483881b03d4be87903.jpg

A new group heading out to fight for a spot in the Hall of Fame

WMG-034.thumb.jpg.e31bcab8123a9d71a04261d12ebc7824.jpg

Going backwards really is a bit nerve wracking.

WMG-035.thumb.jpg.7dbd2a862ae26c8309017b9fe93e557b.jpg

A last look facing East toward the front gate.

WMG-036.thumb.jpg.7f1958f47740596aa2e6a16e45053814.jpg

I'll end with a look at Coaster Number 16, Leviathan. Completely different but both uniquely fun.

WMG-020.thumb.jpg.2d5df511d58196550fa355be3ab739d1.jpg

Top scores of all time...ok a few days but still...impressive.

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

Cool pics!

But I've always questioned the length and height of the coaster. Matcom says that the track is 921 feet long while Wondeland says 1000 feet and news sources say 1092 feet. Also, Matcom says that the height of the lift is 65 feet, while Wonderland said it was 60 (when it was first announced) but in their Guest Assistant Guide says 79 feet!

Cool pics!

But I've always questioned the length and height of the coaster. Matcom says that the track is 921 feet long while Wondeland says 1000 feet and news sources say 1092 feet. Also, Matcom says that the height of the lift is 65 feet, while Wonderland said it was 60 (when it was first announced) but in their Guest Assistant Guide says 79 feet!

Thanks, Dom! I think the measurements may depend on how close to opening that each piece was published.

Oh crap, you're right! Canada's Wonderland DOES have more coasters now than Cedar Point! Even if you are audacious like me and count twin roller coasters as two separate roller coasters, the parks tie with their coaster counts.

their Guest Assistant Guide says 79 feet!

I have theorized that the 79 foot stat may be the height of the mountain facade. I don't necessarily automatically trust stat information given out by the parks themselves, because they only truely care about accuracy with this stuff to the point that they can easily market it, which leads to them making more money. Example: it's much easier to market the ride as being 1,000 feet long instead of 1,093 feet long, even though its not the correct figure. Ultimately, neither the parks nor the GP care too much about this stuff, so there is minimal motivation to have a precise stat sheet for their rides (which would be totally awesome, imho).

Wow Jason, nice pictures man, thanks for that great tour of CW's new attraction. It looks like a really fun ride and damn those queues looked busy, seems like its hitting off well with the locals. Looks like I should plan a return visit to CW soon.

It's a great addition to the park. I can see it's not going to be for everyone but truly what ride is?

CPSFMMCW and coastercrzyjames, glad you enjoyed the pics. The ride doesn't take up a lot of space outside but it sure does take a great picture in its mountain setting.

Keep in mind, there's still some finishing work to be done since the park's priority was obviously to get the ride open to park guests as soon as possible given opening day delays.

^^^Funny that you mention the glasses. I completely forgot that we needed 3D glasses for the ride. The whole process was very smooth and they didn't feel like they'd fly off at any point.

It was bound to happen eventually and a full POV of WMG has been posted on Youtube...and I won't link it. (SPOILER ALERT IN THE VIDEO BUT NOT THE REST OF THIS POST)

To be honest, I had no idea what on earth was going on....there's no story line! Your underwater one second and you above the next. Then all of the sudden your in the dragon liar....Yes, I've never been on the ride but now watching a POV, I am kinda disappointed....

I was thinking of maybe going for a day at the park (I didn't get a pass) but this video changed my mind.

Also, the train entrance into the mountain looks very very unfinished....

It was bound to happen eventually and a full POV of WMG has been posted on Youtube...and I won't link it. (SPOILER ALERT IN THE VIDEO BUT NOT THE REST OF THIS POST)

To be honest, I had no idea what on earth was going on....there's no story line! Your underwater one second and you above the next. Then all of the sudden your in the dragon liar....Yes, I've never been on the ride but now watching a POV, I am kinda disappointed....

I was thinking of maybe going for a day at the park (I didn't get a pass) but this video changed my mind.

You do realize that you are making this decision based off an extremely low quality 240p illegal POV...

I went to the park this past monday, and it was unofficial `don't take your kid to the park day`. it was great, there were almost no lines and it was walk on for almost everything. I love weekday, early season before kids are out of school!

I am glad i went to see guardian, but won't be rushing back to go again. As stated before, the station is kinda neat, but looks like they didn't have time to do much theming. There is a lot of flat black painted cinderblock. They also don't do a good job of explaining the back story.

They hand out 3d glasses, which they wash them in a commercial dishwasher between riders. You need to look on top of your gun for the colour so you know where you are aiming.

If you go with a group of 4, try to sit either in the back facing seats or all front, so when you rotate to go through the maze you will be on the same side.

The coaster part has a lift hill then a bit of a pumpy jerky dip. There are more exciting wacky worms on the planet. after that, your seats rotate 90 and it looks like a 3d version of an 1980's duck hunt shooting arcade game. Your car rides along, and you shoot everything you can. It would be nice if you could see your score as you go along, but the whole thing is pretty disorienting.

Then it stops and you go through the final dive loop surprise ending, and it shows your picture with your score. the end.

(just kidding about dive loop)

It is worth going once, but i don't need to go again.

elsewhere in the park...

The Wild beast got it's trains overhauled, and the one we were on was nice. Unfortunately the track is pretty beat up. This coaster is all about the turns, especially on the first drop, but they are so shaky hunting back and forth they are abusive. We went in the back car then the second. I would say the front is better, because you have less cars in front of you whipping you back and forth. I love the coaster, but it needs some major trackwork.

Minebuster tends to be straighter and was smoother until the helix. It didn't have the air time i remember it used to, but maybe with more than 4 riders it might go fast enough to do better.

Skyrider was fun in the back, getting pulled over the camelbacks. It is a decent ride and without the headbanging of any other stand up i have ridden. (no restraints near your head may help this...)

Flight deck supposedly got a train refurb but it was shaky as hell and lived up to it's slc headbanger monicker. Oh vekoma...

Tomb raider should be sold for scrap or best offer, so they could build a real coaster in its place. Not very comfortable, not very fun, and a lot of head banging. The poor kid ahead of us barfed on the seat, but i can understand why.

Dragons lair was old school arrow dynamics fun and in reasonably good shape apart from a slight jerk going into the helix. preferred back 'o 'train.

Brohemoth and Levithian were fun. Seat belts on behemoth were not a big issue. I have never been a fan of the heights of their lifthills, but reriding back to back to back 4 or 5 times has helped me be more comfortable with them. Plus i could see downtown from the lifthill! They were both really smooth and a nice ride. There may be a sweet spot where cooler weather and less riders means the trim brakes don't get activated, but i rarely felt them.

Vortex was fun, and i enjoyed it way better that the arrow suspended at sfmm. The final brake run still shakes back and forth when you come to a stop. I guess it is supposed to happen, but it makes me wonder.... oh ron toomey...

Had to go on enterprise, one of my favorite old school flats!

Anyway, we had a great trip and went on everything we wanted at least 6-8 times. Preseason rules!

You do realize that you are making this decision based off an extremely low quality 240p illegal POV...

That doesn't really matter. Its pretty much an arcade game...you don't need great quality to figure it out...

And its 480p.

Finally made it up north to ride Leviathan and check out this great park. What a beautiful park and great assortment of flat rides - though outside of a couple great B&M's I was underwhelmed with the coaster selection - though I did find Thunder Run unique and different.

The load times on Leviathan were insane - never seen dispatch times like that anywhere! This was great because it meant lots and lots of rides on this great coaster. It ranked right up there with the other Giga Coasters - though I still prefer the lower seating position of the Intamin's vs the higher center of gravity of the B&M's seats. Really liked Behemoth - though it is what you expect if you've ridden other B&M Hyper's.

Also, really loved the mountain / falls - makes for a great park centerpiece. We also got to check out that new ride in the mountain - Wonder Mountain's Guardian. I'd say it was a neat little ride - and if they do change up the video for Halloween and next season that will be great. Seemed a little on the short side - but I really liked the concept.

Of course all the crazy flat rides were great - particularly liked Shockwave, Sledge Hammer and Night Mares. Though Sledge Hammer had a lot of down time - not sure if that is normal with this ride or not. And that grassy hillside near WindSeeker? That was so awesome and unexpected in an amusement park - was great to sit in the grass for a while and just relax - this should be mandatory in all parks - really such a minor thing - but most places have used up every square inch to expand - hope the hillside is there to stay.

Overall a wonderfully laid out and aesthetic park - I'll be back when they get another great coaster!

Here are some pics I took - enjoy!

Edited by Jantzen73