TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Denning, I think Coasterfreak meant, why couldn't they have made the cars so that there would be a little tilting action, something like Spider-man. Triotech showed a lot more movements on some of thier other vehicles at test facilities and other theatre installations. Even Toy Story has more movement . . . I havn't been on yet, but . . . you'd think they could have made it so that you could at least shoot on both sides . . . just one 90 degree turn? . . . really? . . . and where is that president guy from Triotech? . . . is he still as excited about it as he was when he first announced it? . . . he seemed to make it more exciting . . . oh well . . .

Ernest Yale, President and CEO of Triotech was onsite during the opening on Saturday and dressed as a civilian getting opinions from riders. Throughout the day he was getting nothing but positive reviews from anyone that had ridden it.

As for the vehicles tilting/rotating more, I do not feel that it impacts the ride that much. There is no need for it to tilt. Some of the visuals that they've done really make it feel as if your car is moving downwards, like in Spiderman when you are falling off the building.

I personally think the idea of having each side offer a separate ride experience only heightens the reason to re-ride. Again, that's just my view on it and I totally get and respect those who think differently.

Cedar Fair is said to be very happy with how the ride has turned out and excited to see where the can go with this technology.

I love the fact that the content can be changed up and modified at the flip of a switch. It has been confirmed by Ernest and Wonderland yesterday during Guardathon that the ride will change up for Halloween Haunt into a zombie themed ride. In addition to the Haunt overlay, they will also be able to adjust any of the scenes currently in the ride and could even go as far as completely re-theming it down the road to an entirely new story should they want to go that route.

Remember guys, this is not Disney or Universal, this is not some major 200+ million dollar attraction. This ride was made for 12 million approximately and for that cost I feel they blew it out of the water. Is the ride perfect? No. Did the ride exceed what I was expecting? Totally. The animation is much improved over some of Triotech's previous work and the fact that it is all rendered in real time rather than pre-rendered, I was quite impressed.

The finale, which sucks for some that it's been spoiled on here so soon (though such is life on the internet), is really well done and none of the new riders ever expected that.

I love that at the end of the ride your face is up there if you make a top score of the day and it stays up there if you get into the upper echelon of high scores overall, well until someone beats you of course.

Good job Cedar Fair, Canada's Wonderland and Triotech!

I was able to get a couple of rides in on Saturday and I was generally pleased with what I saw.

Calling it a coaster is a bit of a stretch as the outside part of the ride is really the only "roller coaster" part of the ride. I count it as a credit, but your mileage may vary.

I was a bit disappointed in the length of the ride. It definitely feels a scene or two too short. Pretty much right as you're getting really into the ride, you're in the final room. Also, it was all screens and no practical dark ride effects. However, the ride/game/whatever itself is pretty well done and you're so occupied with shooting stuff, you don't miss the missing practical effects. It really felt like a ride version of House of the Dead or something similar.

I managed to ride both sides and the long screen side is far and away the better one. On that side, you see everything in an unbroken chain. On the other side, there are noticable screen gaps that kind of take away from any immersion.

The final surprise? That was definitely the best part of the ride....

*HERE BE SPOILERS, YE BE WARNED*

I guess it's already been spoiled, so I'll say I enjoyed the drop far more than Verbolten's drop. This one comes out of nowhere if you don't know about it and has a bit of free-fall feeling which I always welcome.

All in all, I enjoyed the ride and for only $10 million, Wonderland got their money's worth. It's not Men in Black or Spiderman quality, but I wasn't expecting that. I'll probably continue to enjoy the ride (especially zombies at Halloween) and I'm interested to see where the technology goes from here.

Edited by mightypotato

I wonder (pun intended) if they would include that finale on all of the versions of the ride if they chose to put the ride at other parks. I imagine they would switch it up a bit and add a different finale with of course a different theme. They probably wouldn't since they were able to use the mountain mainly for that. But I can't help but wonder if they would use that ending on another version. I like the think yes, especially if they were to put one of these at Knotts, since that would mean that there would be that maneuver now on the west coast.

I was on the ride on Saturday and I was very pleased with it I enjoy the ride for what it is. It is a fun ride and I like the surprise element that they have added at the end. There are some screens were you are not doing anything but for the most part there is something to shoot at. I am looking forward to the different videos they will come up with.

I am happy to have it at Canada's Wonderland it is a Great Addition to the park.

So how much of a coaster is it? I saw a testing video of it going through a banked turn quite quickly, if I remember correctly.

The lift, dip and turn into turn into the mountain is the most obvious coaster section, inside however it is all coaster track, and does travel along based off gravity.

At Guardathon this weekend the park management and TrioTech staff have now started referring to it as a coaster/dark ride.

It's a fun ride so I'm not too concerned if it's a credit or not, however if you count Journey to Atlantis at Seaworld Sam Antonio, then there is no question this would count as credit.

I can definitely see how a lot will debate the credit definition though.

If the actual experience is anything like the Triotech installation at West Edmonton Mall (Interactive "4D" cinema) it is *surprising.*

I was blown away by how realistic everything feels in the attraction in Galaxyland. And they actually already have a Zombie themed film which was my favourite of the ones I watched!

^Aren't the dark ride portions driven by drive tires?

No. Not according to park management.

Really? Seems like that could lead to sync problems. A heavier train will travel faster and a lighter train will travel slower. Therefore, the video could easily become out of sync as the video can't be sped up or slowed down (or can it?).

^ Not really, it's just something else to maintain and break down. Each scene will just keep playing until the train leaves, which makes even more sense that someone said the animations are done in real time. If there is just one train running the course at a time between the lift and the finale (?), there's not as much importance in keeping full control of the trains since they're not managing a whole lot of blocks.

And don't you guys want this to be a coaster?

I think they could have added something like this, not just all video screens, even outside the entrance would have been cool . . .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOpSchnybWE . . . this very cool/awesome dragon is at West Edmonton Mall in Alberta, Canada.

^They could have but I don't think they needed to. Also, if they did and added it outside of the entrance, it would have no impact on the ride itself.

I think one thing I would love to see though would be more merchandise. They are totally losing out on some good money opportunities I feel with the lack of plush animals from the show. Those spiders/dragons/lizards/etc could, even though they are "bad guys", be great take home gifts for kids. They have Lord Ormaar plushies, but nothing else.

Disney would have built a store right inside the mountain! That would have been cool. We could have spent some more time in the mountain.

They have the photo booth in there and remember, they are constantly look at ways to improve this ride.