TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Okay, that's hot. And that little hill after the "barrel roll" looks like it will give some serious floater airtime.
Search for 'Do a barrel roll' (without quotes) on Google.com and see what happens.

Guess that's what they think it is!

Okay, that's hot. And that little hill after the "barrel roll" looks like it will give some serious floater airtime.
Search for 'Do a barrel roll' (without quotes) on Google.com and see what happens.

Guess that's what they think it is!

LOL, okay, yes folks do this, it's kinda cute. About this whole "barrel roll'', here's my 2 cents, I think it's really closer in execution to a Stengel dive, just more elongated. Barrel Roll? No. Overbank and back? Yes. You read it here first, coined by me. Levi is probably going to cause me to finally get up to Toronto for the first time, though I've been meaning to go for quite a while now.

Thanks for the photos! It's great to see that the weather is cooperating with construction and that CW is taking advantage of that by building this thing so quickly! I really can't wait to see how the turnaround element will look like. From the renderings it looks like a massively stretched-out hammerhead. It'll definitely be one of those 'required photo shots" when entering the park.

It was a COLD but very sunny day today up at Canada's Wonderland. Crews are still working away on weekends to get up as much of the structure they can before the harsh winter weather sets in. Full photo update including the completed overbank turn, short speed hill and most of the camelback hill:

http://www.cwmania.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=50687#p50687

1711527278_00811.thumb.JPG.875340dbde102fd9972e83993b4d14e9.JPG

Completed brake run.

362557338_0346.thumb.JPG.dcdc8309f944beda48ddd81b59b48133.JPG

Completed speed hill.

265851760_0496.thumb.JPG.d581db84cab640e824e2981c6c136890.JPG

Almost complete camelback hill.

Here are a few more shots I grabbed today as well. The more and more that comes up on this ride, the more excited and impressed I get.

Enjoy.

DSCN8032.jpg.5806dada1336dafc894820cb518bda35.jpg

Shot from a nearby car store. Shows a good idea of the height between the barrel roll and the bunny hill

DSCN8037.jpg.847ad0b4042dd39458ea65ec39db9d93.jpg

Overview of construction so far.

DSCN8044.jpg.725963bcdffe7a8ad105d440afd0c398.jpg

Wanted to get a good shot of the brake compared to Dragon Fire

DSCN8063.jpg.be874e3731af6b08d59c6e079e005b9f.jpg

Track and support ready for the turn around

DSCN8065.jpg.42f6c6ea52a3579fccf40a2a0c53df9a.jpg

Different angle showing the entire layout so far

It might just be the angle, but the second picture in the previous update makes it seem like that "speed hill" might actually give some good airtime.

But, seriously, I am so excited for this ride. After watching the construction updates and the animated POV a few more times, I think this might be one of the best rides next year! Looks like it will have some good forces, and some good moments of airtime.

^That is bizarre. It kind of defeats the purpose of being able to control the speed of the train (based on weight, wind, etc...)

Unless they are adjustable?

I'm guessing B&M already knows it's going to be going too fast for their comfort at that particular point. We'll have to wait and see if the next trim is mechanical since that would be a more appropriate place to use one. Things could change by the time the ride opens though, issues can be found during testing.

It might also be because they didn't want people hearing a mechanical brake catching the train every time the people at the front gate watch the train go over that hill. We all know how unattractive Time Warp sounds.

I'm sure that the magnetic brakes are adjustable, not so much on the fly like mechanical brakes. Remember how many revisions the trims on the first drop on i305 went through that opening season. As I recall they make the fins out of different materials that control how powerful the brakes are.

I don't get it. Why engineer a portion of a ride knowing that it'll need a trim? Why not just engineer it a little differently so it doesn't need it? Then again, I've never designed a roller coaster before, so I'm a little ignorant in the ways of the engineering, but it seems silly to design a coaster with trims rather than try to make the layout so that it doesn't need them.

I don't get it. Why engineer a portion of a ride knowing that it'll need a trim? Why not just engineer it a little differently so it doesn't need it? Then again, I've never designed a roller coaster before, so I'm a little ignorant in the ways of the engineering, but it seems silly to design a coaster with trims rather than try to make the layout so that it doesn't need them.

I don't know either but maybe it has to do with the variations you could get in the speed because of weather and weight of the train. If you made an element that could be taken at any speed the ride might produce than you might have a pretty blah ride.

One guess would be that if there weren't no trim, the hill would be higher to manage the speed. Knowing B&M, they would stretch it out instead of having a pointier apex, so then it may not meet the footprint limitations. Then there's also the cost of making a bigger hill vs the reduced cost of having parts last longer if they can run it at a slower speed.

Does B&M have any existing adjustable magnetic brakes, either on trims or brake runs?