TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Does anyone know the angle of the lift hill? It looks odd since it isn't nowhere as steep as Intimidator 305 and Millennium Force's 45 degree lifts. Looks somewhere about 30+ degrees to me?

When Intamin built Millennium Force they went with the cable lift because if they wanted a chain then the lifthill could only be around 30 degrees steep.

I would imagine that it's 45* like all their new hypers, including Behemoth. Maybe it's just the angle of the picture?

No, they are not. Somewhere around 35-38 degrees I would say.

^That point is irrelevant. I'm assuming that by asking how high it is, you're saying that the chain wouldn't be that long. If the lift for a giga were 30* versus 45*, then the chain would be even longer. A cable is more efficient and is less heavy (a big reason why Steel Dragon 2000 has two chains). So I very, very highly doubt that what you're saying is true as to why they went for a cable. Unless you can cite it.

Fahrenheit also has 8 or so more years of engineering evolution in it than MF. I'm all good with the chain lift, you don't have to worry about catastrophic mechanical failures like you do with the cables. Pretty much any model involving a cable with Intamin has had some sort of instance of catastrophic mechanical failure that could have possibly risked the safety of the guests. Examples, cable driven launched coasters, TTD, Kingdaka, Xcellerator (I am sure some incidents are missing here). Cable lifts, MF's cable has broken twice, possibly risking the safety of the riders. Drop towers with the the Kentucky Kingdom incident. In addition to the safety factor, the issue regarding reliability with Intamin coasters comes up as well.

I am challenged to think of a mechanical failure on a B&M coaster that has resulted in major injury or death, any ideas?

^That point is irrelevant. I'm assuming that by asking how high it is, you're saying that the chain wouldn't be that long. If the lift for a giga were 30* versus 45*, then the chain would be even longer. A cable is more efficient and is less heavy (a big reason why Steel Dragon 2000 has two chains). So I very, very highly doubt that what you're saying is true as to why they went for a cable. Unless you can cite it.

It was said by Sandor Kernacs during an Q&A session, but you knows best..

Fahrenheit also has 8 or so more years of engineering evolution in it than MF. I'm all good with the chain lift, you don't have to worry about catastrophic mechanical failures like you do with the cables. Pretty much any model involving a cable with Intamin has had some sort of instance of catastrophic mechanical failure that could have possibly risked the safety of the guests. Examples, cable driven launched coasters, TTD, Kingdaka, Xcellerator (I am sure some incidents are missing here). Cable lifts, MF's cable has broken twice, possibly risking the safety of the riders. Drop towers with the the Kentucky Kingdom incident. In addition to the safety factor, the issue regarding reliability with Intamin coasters comes up as well.

I am challenged to think of a mechanical failure on a B&M coaster that has resulted in major injury or death, any ideas?

Since when did getting stuck on a lift hill = safety risk?

Since when did getting stuck on a lift hill = safety risk?

djw44 never said anything about being stuck on a lift hill, he is talking about cables snapping. Stop putting words in other people's mouths. Do you remember when Millennium Force's entire cable and catch car went over the first drop with the train? That is all that needs to be said.

I remember a time when I considered CW to be a second-hand park and that even though I was lucky to be living close to a theme park, I always thought "Why couldn't I have been born into a family that lived in Florida or California?". All I could think about was how so many other enthusiasts had all these parks that were so much better than CW. Then Cedar Fair came along, and my perception changed with Behemoth and WindSeeker, but that nagging feeling was still there. Once Leviathan was announced, that feeling almost completley went away and now with this update, It's no longer there . I cannot wait to ride this in May and I really really hope it ends up being the most intense and awesome-ness filled machine that B&M has built in a long time.