TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Did anyone manage to record it? I got home at 8 and missed it.

I missed it myself, but I'll catch it at 11 tonight. If you can't catch it at 11 and no one recorded, it you should be able to find it online tomorrow here.

EDIT: The episode is now up online for those who wanted to watch it.

http://watch.discoverychannel.ca/daily-planet/november-2011/daily-planet---november-30-2011/#clip577462

I'm glad they went back to the original train design for Leviathan. IMO, the staggered seating is a huge waste of space. You could fit three rows of 4-across seats in the space two of the staggered cars use.

I know they would have been heavy, but the very tiny ginger soul inside me wishes the trains would have been at least 10 cars long.

^dont worry it wasn't anything special...I found it kind of a "time filler".

I'm not quite sure why you think footage of them crowning the lift hill as time filler. I've seen LOTS of still photos but I haven't seen any video from the top of the lift like that. They spoke with some of the top players from the park and the company that's putting this monster together.

They also added in a few things that I found interesting (specifically the exact angle of the track had to be set before starting to lift). What else did you want/expect?

I've only been at work for 20 minutes and I've already been asked by 2 people about that clip. They didn't even know Canada's Wonderland was building a new roller coaster (never mind the 5th tallest in the world). They came up to me asking if I knew about it.

This was a GREAT clip for the vast majority of people that watch Daily Planet. I'm sure very few of them are coaster enthusiasts like us that know every single detail and have seen hundreds (thousands) of pictures of the same few pieces of track over the past few months.

I guess you just can't please everyone (especially some coaster enthusiasts).

I like the new trains, specifically the outside spots. There’s something about the extra openness that adds to the anticipation, not to mention being at the back of a long train as that section is whipped over the hill. But I’m also very happy when it’s the four across seating. The coaster seems more intimidating and experiencing the ride in long row of four or more is cool. I love the dive machines for similar reasons. Having both to ride back to back will be a great comparo!

^^Jake, no, Behemoth I would say is still very smooth. The changes in the ride quality seem to happen during different weather conditions but it is never uncomfortable. You’ll just have to see for yourself this summer!

The Daily Planet clip was great. It’s a general science and technology show so the segment fit perfectly for the type of show that it is. They packed a lot of stuff in there. It was almost like a “best of” synopsis of the issues that came up when building a roller coaster, like you’d see in a more in-depth episode of Extreme Engineering or Mega Builders. The segment reminded me of the Mega Builders? episode featuring Tatsu a bit.

Granted I've only been on Diamondback, those outside seats shook like mad and were insanely painful. Gave me the worst headache I've ever had on a coaster. Hoping Behemoth isn't that way? Will hopefully find out this summer

Intimidator's trains didn't shake anywhere near as badly as Diamondback's trains did its opening year. On occasion they would vibrate a little bit, but usually it just needed a new wheel or something small like that. I'm not sure why Diamondback shakes the way it does, outside of theming for the rattler.

^What I observed is that the wheel assemblies aren't very tightly clamped to the track. If you look directly at the wheels (any car 2-8) going over the hills, you'll notice they shake left and right. I'm not too familiar with what B&M has done in the past, but I feel like it has to do with the fact that the wheels are [obviously] set much farther apart on the tiered seating than on their normal 4-abreast seating. On Raptor, you can notice the effect of this type of thing, but it is quite minimal and not enough to be uncomfortable, however on Diamondback, it is quite obvious.

That's just what I observed..

Either Intimidator or Silver Star, both of which as stated above are B&M Hyper-Trimmers . Let's hope Leviathan dosen't have the same fate. If Levi actually has airtime that will give it a nice competitive edge over MF, but it still wont beat I-305.