TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

RCDB lists the height as 306', which probably means ground to top of lift. So unless the first drop is going all the way to ground level through a trench or something, I doubt it will actually be longer than 300'.

The track is about 1-2 feet below the trench level. so, potentially it could break the 300' record.

EDIT: sorry kind of repeated a previous post but ya.

Seem that Leviathan is on the ground above the parking lots and my guess it will be approx 10 feet. So the drop height will be approx 316 feet. See the photo.

That's actually just a hill going into the park. The first support for the pullout of the drop on the left of your pic is actually ground level to the parking lot. You can see the supports go lower then that hill in the back, however from where the bottom of the lift hill starts to where the drop bottoms out, there appears to be some sort of slight, maybe a few feet, elevation change.

I've never walked it obviously as its off limits, but I do think we're going to see the 300 ft record broken.

The trench could be there to make the drop 300'... Remember, the ride should be 306' tall from directly under the crest. The parking lot could be 6' higher in elevation than at the moment where the crest is causing the need for the trench to make it a true "giga". The drop going over that hill with the trees between the parking lot and Dragon Fire is messing with the perspective...

Would Cedar Fair really let another ride beat the record of MF? We have to remember we are dealing with the company who made Intimidator 5 feet shorter and Leviathan 4 feet shorter than MF!

Will nobody ever understand the concept that a "giga" or a "hyper" has a height of 300'/200' AND/OR a drop of 300'/200'? Magnum XL-200 has a drop of 194 feet. Does anyone not consider that a hyper? No. This would be a "real giga" without that trench. But I think we're seeing that trench solely to push this ride over all the rest - a 306-foot roller coaster could probably have a drop of 300' even, but if you dig a ten-foot trench and level out a few feet below, you've got a 306-308' drop, which could take the record.

But don't we use them every time a new coaster that breaks those barriers come out? Shambhala is a hyper, not in a Cedar Fair park? And so are the Supermans, and Steel Dragon is a giga... Sure, it's a marketing term. But we've been using them ever since, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

No real problem, but is there really a difference between 199 feet 11 1/2 inches or 200 feet?

Is a 200 foot coaster different than a 299 foot coaster? There are both classified in the same category.

To me a 299 foot coaster has more in common with a 300 foot coaster, yet people argue that one is a hyper and one's a giga.

Then again I'm one of those people that has never used those terms when refering to a coaster. I just state the real height.

Edited by larrygator

I agree with you there, I'm just one for categories, I suppose. The only reason I brought it up is that most would agree that Magnum is a "hyper," so by that same logic even if Leviathan's drop didn't break 300' then it would still too be considered a "giga." For those who care about those labels, of course.

But really though I just like roller coasters, and I need to dig out my passport for this next summer!

^^That's something that's always bugged me as well; like when someone says Griffon is better than Sheikra because it's "taller". Do you really notice that you're five feet higher up than before? Do you really say "Oh wow, this definitely feels like 205 feet!".

That little of a difference in height has never mattered to me, either.

^Well I don't really like Griffon better than SheiKra because it's higher. I like it better because it has weird and random airtime hills, whereas SheiKra kind of just turns back into the station.

But on a Canada's Wonderland related note, this first drop on Leviathan looks like it's gonna be insane. I'd even dare to say that it's probably going to have the best airtime of any hill on a B&M coaster.