TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

I think that the brake run is so long simply becuase of the fact that they need space to stack trains safely. Millennium Forces brake run would be just as long had they not had the double station. This brake run looks so out of place though simply is becuase it's situated 50+ feet in the air... Which just looks F'ed up... I'm sure that if it was lower to the ground people would be questioning why it ends so early.

The problem with Giga coasters is that they travel so damn fast. The track length would have to be around 10,000 ft in length if you wanted a ride to have a duration of more than 2 minutes after the lift. Obviously, that's not really feasible considering this ride is already 28 million dollars at just over 5,000 ft.

Hehehe, it's B&M's version of Millennium Force. Here's why this ride will be popular, but a Class B 300' (can you believe we're debating 300' coasters?).

B&M: solid thick box track, Sequoia thick solid supports, bulky trains

vs

Intamin: lattice "see-through" thin track, smaller and streamlined supports and trains

By default Intamin has a visual advantage the higher they go. The old school B&M hyper cars are also bulky versus Intamin style trains. The ride will be a winner, but B&M at 300' will "feel smaller" because of a reversed forced perspective. Their bulk hurts in this case. It will still look fantastic.

Wing rider trains (they could engineer for the G-forces) would've been the icing on the cake to separate this ride from all others.

Putting this thing in now after Behemoth (I agree; very similar) ... interesting & odd decision, but no further comment.

^

If Behemoth is any indication, it won't be. Behemoth has three trims on it, and I've only ever felt the first one on. Even then, it was never on very strong.

And to add on to what you're saying, B&M loves their floater airtime. As far as I know there really isn't a beemer with ejector air, anybody correct me if I'm wrong. So the trims could be to keep that nice floater air instead of the train flying through the hills like an old Arrow/Morgan hyper or an Intamin.

I haven't added my thoughts on Leviathan yet, so here I go! I think it looks pretty amazing. B&M has finally surpassed the 300 foot barrier. It's a milestone for both the company and coasters in general. New B&M ride styles catch on pretty quickly (look at the wingriders), and when they take on an existing ride style they tend to become really popular as well (hypers, flyers). So we may see a bit of a Giga boom in the industry because of this! As for the location, it could be built on the surface of the sun for all I care! It's a B&M giga - that's enough to get me to Canada next year! Also, I can't say enough how glad I am to see the old-style trains return. The new-style trains always feel a bit "off" to me.

Plus it's not an Intamin so Leviathan already has depedability in its favor. Just sayin'.

GIga boom? That's doubtful as far as the western world is concerned: even before the massive economic recession these rides are hugely expensive for number of reasons, steel has only gotten more expensive, and very few parks have had the money or space to spend on these rides in the first place. There are FOUR of these coasters in the entire world, and it's been over a decade since they first debuted. How many inverted coasters were built in the 10 years following their debut? Hell, it also may be worth mentioning that half of these Giga coasters have been built only in the last two years. People are just caught up in the excitement of seeing these new, huge traditional coasters, but I don't see these becoming a feature at every major park yet.

As for the East, like China, heaven knows. It's worth nothing at this point they have not built any there and none of the parks seems to have any plans for one. And if there is any place in the industry that could be considered booming or ripe for a boom, it's China.

Hey everybody! Wow, a week has passed and true to form, it looks like posts will be modest compared to last week, up until we see vertical construction.

Here are two videos from CityTV Day at the park last Thursday:

First up, Dineen, the park's spokesperson, tells TPR a bit about Leviathan. Removing the effort of keeping this monster hidden for the past few years I'm sure has led to a huge sigh of relief and pure excitement for 2012!

Next up is Jennifer Valentine's Live Eye footage from Breakfast Television showing off the official announcement and all the fun challenges involved with a live morning show shoot It also provides a look at Wild Beast, a show in Medieval Fair and Drop Tower.

The only media outlet present was CityTV for their promo day at the park. TPR and CW's official site, CWMania were invited to attend the morning Breakfast Television shoot, enhancing the focus of the campaign, which was primarily online. It seemed to be quite effective in creating buzz within the park's fan and enthusiast base. Other media outlets picked up details from the official website, press release and through the park's PR department throughout the day.

A huge thanks again to Dineen, Dave, Lindsey and Breakfast Television for letting us enthusiasts tag along for a fantastic morning! All that you do for the enthusiast community is very much appreciated!

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

GIga boom? That's doubtful as far as the western world is concerned: even before the massive economic recession these rides are hugely expensive for number of reasons, steel has only gotten more expensive, and very few parks have had the money or space to spend on these rides in the first place. There are FOUR of these coasters in the entire world, and it's been over a decade since they first debuted. How many inverted coasters were built in the 10 years following their debut? Hell, it also may be worth mentioning that half of these Giga coasters have been built only in the last two years. People are just caught up in the excitement of seeing these new, huge traditional coasters, but I don't see these becoming a feature at every major park yet.

I stand by my statement. We may not see an explosion a la the inverts of the 90s, but I still think we'll be seeing more gigas. Maybe not a ton of them, but a few.

So I visited the park today.. It was a lax day for me since I was with a member of the GP and my main objective was to ride Windseeker which I hadn't before because it was always down. I didn't ride many rides, but it was fun day.

In park news, Sledge Hammer was closed and work was being done on Nightmares with a crane.

Edited by asimowalk

^ I'm going to say much needed water park upgrades.

So I finally got to see Starlight Spectacular last night! I think I watched it too many times on YouTube because the excitement wore off just a couple minutes into it, not to mention they enjoy blasting the music at all of their shows so loud that the sound becomes distorted and uncomfortable. The ending has always been my favourite and is definitely my favourite scene to see live with everything flashing all around you. The post-show is also nice to stick around for if you have the time.

Just to let everyone know, I contacted the creators of Starlight Spectacular (Tantrum Design) and I asked if the show will return with a different concept next year. Their response: "You'll have to wait and see!".

hummmm......

Well, they'll definitely be changing the "Happy 30th Birthday" but I wouldn't be surprised if it just said "Thanks for visiting" next season. I can also see them changing the beginning after what happened with the Fireflies scene. I was kind of hoping for one of those dramatic openings where everything shuts off at once like with World of Color.

If anyone's interested, here's the guys that did the makeover to the Royal Fountains: http://www.crystalfountains.com

Wow.

I finally get a chance to catch up on this thread. 48 pages later.... My head hurts.

My thoughts??? (like anyone cares):

Cool looking ride. Looks like fun.

Who cares about the long high brake run??? (anyone ridden Kingda Ka?)

Keith made another amazing set of videos!!!

But the truly best thing to come out of these 48 pages, was Wes coming up with Leviathon!!

Wes wins!! (Again!)

As stupid as it may seem, putting in a giga after a hyper works. At least with me (and I have a feeling I'm not the only one) . Indeed, this park already attracted me before (never been there) but the fact I can ride a giga as a "bonus" won't hurt. Maybe I would have left this park behind while planning a personal road trip, but I would include it WITHOUT A DOUBT NOW. Of course, I would ALSO have prefered an Intamin (not just because X is better than Y or Y is better than X) but just for the sake of variety. Some people would like to own a Ferrari and a Lamborghini, some people would prefer 2 Ferraris, some 2 Lambo's...