TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

My home park Walibi Belgium hasn't had a coaster since 2001 (not counting the failed Vertigo experiment). And yet people whine CW is building an amazing B&M giga coaster... Holy crap, stop the whining and be happy you're getting an awesome looking coaster!!! I would kill to have one of these in Belgium.

AMEN!

Now that the Leviathan talk has sort of died down, I guess I have a chance to ask... Does anyone have any really good videos of Starlight Spectacular? I really like the show but I can never see it in person as I don't have access to a car and I don't want to get home past midnight with [horrible] public transportation.

In particular, anyone have any footage of the post-show? It looks nice from what I can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHl1o3t_JF0

If you haven't guessed by now, I'm a fountain show fanboy.

Edited by asimowalk

They've switched it up a bit since the first show. They do have a couple extra songs with effects on the mountain after the main show is done. As mentioned, the fountains are used much more in sync with the post-show songs that during the actual show.

And when talking about adding attractions to Canada's Wonderland, I think people need to remember that Cedar Fair could add NOTHING and see continued attendance increases. The largest jump in attendance came with our Volaire. Last year we saw a retheme of the kids area and once again made the top of the list for seasonally attended parks. The GP won't have a clue that they're the same type of ride. I can't tell you how many people I know still come up to me thinking that Top Gun/Flight Deck is the best coaster ever (well, aside from Behemoth). 99% of the people that come to Wonderland don't have a clue there's better coasters at different parks.

Sure, this may seem like an odd decision for the park but remember, Cedar Fair management has more of a say in what each park is getting that the individual parks do. The parks toss out their "wish list" and hope that corporate head office gives them the go-ahead.

Could they have put the thing at Dorney? With Nitro in the area and HP get a major ride next year, wouldn't this have made more sense going to Dorney? A lot of you seem to have forgotten that this is a Cedar Fair park too.

You seem to be forgetting Dorney is getting CGA's Invertigo. (And yes it's a Vekoma Inverted Boomerang.)

I truly believe that Leviathan is Canada's Wonderland's coaster, and theirs alone.

When you have a ride like Chang or Batman: The Ride and you need to relocate it, it's not incredibly difficult to do it because the land plot is relatively flat all over and somewhat simply shaped (Chang's plot was a giant frying pan).

Leviathan will be built on a very specific plot that runs along the park's edge, next to and over roadways, and next to the parking lot. It has also been designed to deal with Dragon Fire. Most of the plot looks flat, but the ride makes an exaggerated L shape that isn't very space-efficient.

You can't really change decisions on the fly unless you have a solid Plan B. Chang could be built at Six Flags Great Adventure because they had that flat plot of land - unused parking space (Green Lantern's ground WAS once part of the parking lot, correct?). I'm sure Cedar Fair - like all of us following the whole RIT game - had absolutely no idea what Hersheypark was planning until it was revealed. Even then, Hersheypark had most likely put the plans for Skyrush into motion years ago.

On a side note, the 300-foot club is pretty exclusive right now, and i'm sure they'll hold the record for tallest roller coaster in Canada for a very long time.

But wait! That might de-throne Leviathan of two records! The first being the tallest roller coaster in Canada...

...and the second one being the most monotonous brake run...IN THE WORLD.

let the trip planning begin for Canada next year never been to CW or La Ronde so it will be a sweet credit trip! I love how B&M designed this more for Speed, Behemoth has the airtime with all of those camelbacks so this one will be a much different and awesome ride, very stoked about this one

On a side note, the 300-foot club is pretty exclusive right now, and i'm sure they'll hold the record for tallest roller coaster in Canada for a very long time.

Canada's Wonderland is probably starting planning for a B&M 400 footer for 2016.

Ziz, the strata flyer

Canada's Wonderland is probably starting planning for a B&M 400 footer for 2016.

I think they have plans to set the world record for "Park with most record-breaking rides in Canada smashed by other record-breaking rides in the same park".

...and the second one being the most monotonous brake run...IN THE WORLD.

I still don't get why would they need such a long and high brake run. If anything, they should have placed a set of MCBR, like most B&M hypercoasters.

I think it's just cause there's no MCBR. I don't think they put one in because it would probably end up somewhere too far from the station and you'd be forced to cross through Dragon Fire and/or Courtyard just to get to it.

They also might not have wanted to break up the ride's momentum with a MCBR. Similar to MF and I-305, the ride is one giant continuous circuit without a break-run interruption. The reason it's so long is likely to slow down the train adequately, as well as to have enough block sections to run 3 trains.