TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

robbalvey wrote:

Quote this post if you think that TPR should come back to CW and do another Behemoth Bash next year! (Yes, with ERT on Leviathan!)

Behemoth Bash was amazing and loved every second of it.

I would be there in a heartbeat, but not if joining Club TPR is mandatory, I just can't justify the cost to attend one event every five years.

^ I agree. But $28 million doesn't buy as much as it did back in the 1990's, or even the beginning of the century. Nonetheless, they did a good job with what they could afford. It's going to be quite the attention-grabber for the public, and is rapidly convincing me to head up to the Canada next year.

I feel like the brake run came REALLY early. Like they had at least a few more elements they could have put in. But thats just me.

The duration from the top of lift to brakes is less than a minute which is short for a giga (MF goes 1:05+).

wow, I had a feeling that it was gonna be a giga for some reason (this thought came to me days before the announcement)

I knew it was going to be a giga coaster from the get-go. Want to know why?

Pictures of boxes that had "giga coaster" written on them.

It's a great looking ride an better than NOTHING I suppose...

I don't think this ride is the biggest waste of millions of dollars, I think Behemoth was. If they knew that they were just going to build the same thing 70' taller three years later, why didn't they just build a a really massive 54 million dollar ride?

Not exactly my reasoning for why this move makes...little sense...but close. The park would not have done this without Behemoth's great success.

I really am lost on the park management here. They have a theme park with a buffet of mediocre rollercoasters, but a good park in most every other facet. Regardless, the park is extremely popular with this setup. They decide adding the park's signature major rollercoaster attraction is a good move, and surprise, the park becomes even more popular now that they have given it a flagship ride. Who didn't see that one coming? So they immediately make the decision to spend the same amount again for the EXACT same ride type, but bigger and faster (and shorter), and fully undermine the role of the coaster they have just added as their signature ride? Really? That's where they went with this? Could have broken the world record for most inversions (can you imagine how much better that would go over in marketing efforts?)...could have changed the ride style more than "ooh look a speedy low ground hill" to differentiate the rides for the consumer...could have had the foresight to plan Behemoth to be higher/longer in the first place, but they went with this choice.

I don't buy for a moment that the GP won't be confused by the two similar rides. And I know how uninformed the GP can be. This ride better do something that the POV doesn't show or they will definitely wonder why neither ride has loops and why they feel exactly the same. The impact a 300 foot monster coaster SHOULD have will just not be felt.

Disclaimer: This ride is a top twenty coaster. That is clear. It will be a fantastic ride. But it is not different from Behemoth at all.

but bigger and faster (and shorter)...... But it is not different from Behemoth at all.

Contradicted yourself a bit. Behemoth specializes in airtime and Leviathan specializes in "twists", for the lack of a better word. (Overbanks?)

I totally agree, and have been trying to figure out why/how a decision like this was made. While Magnum and MF look dramatically different, the root of each ride is that they are non-looping steel coasters with MF being 100 feet taller. Basic I know, but true.

So what if CP went to B&M asking for a giga looper of some kind for 2013? Robb mentioned earlier how conservative B&M was, and up until the announcement, I had no idea how true that appears to be. So maybe B&M said they needed to build a traditional giga first before tackling a looper and CW was chosen? It's not a bad choice, since the attendance at CW certainly warrants a giga,

My $.02 on figuring out a GREAT coaster, just a weird decision imho

Quickly, while the subject of a giga looper has been brought up:

While I've been sort of disenchanted with looping rides as of late, the thought of a 200+ foot vertical loop has always intrigued me. Inversions were fun when I was younger, especially when B&M started coming out with all their rides in the early 90's, and I was like, "Ooooo.... what's this zero-g thing all about, that looks fun... and this diving loop, that's fun too...", but it sort of faded for me after a while. That being said, the first time I rode Superman at Fiesta Texas, I was taken aback by the hangtime at the top of the loop, and was sort of smitten all over again. Heck, I ride Mr. Freeze multiple times every year, and going backwards through the top hat still makes me chuckle.

Just wanted to pause and think about REALLY big inversions for a second.... k, got it all out of me. Carry on.

It's a great looking ride an better than NOTHING I suppose...

I don't think this ride is the biggest waste of millions of dollars, I think Behemoth was. If they knew that they were just going to build the same thing 70' taller three years later, why didn't they just build a a really massive 54 million dollar ride?

Not exactly my reasoning for why this move makes...little sense...but close. The park would not have done this without Behemoth's great success.

I really am lost on the park management here. They have a theme park with a buffet of mediocre rollercoasters, but a good park in most every other facet. Regardless, the park is extremely popular with this setup. They decide adding the park's signature major rollercoaster attraction is a good move, and surprise, the park becomes even more popular now that they have given it a flagship ride. Who didn't see that one coming? So they immediately make the decision to spend the same amount again for the EXACT same ride type, but bigger and faster (and shorter), and fully undermine the role of the coaster they have just added as their signature ride? Really? That's where they went with this? Could have broken the world record for most inversions (can you imagine how much better that would go over in marketing efforts?)...could have changed the ride style more than "ooh look a speedy low ground hill" to differentiate the rides for the consumer...could have had the foresight to plan Behemoth to be higher/longer in the first place, but they went with this choice.

I don't buy for a moment that the GP won't be confused by the two similar rides. And I know how uninformed the GP can be. This ride better do something that the POV doesn't show or they will definitely wonder why neither ride has loops and why they feel exactly the same. The impact a 300 foot monster coaster SHOULD have will just not be felt.

Disclaimer: This ride is a top twenty coaster. That is clear. It will be a fantastic ride. But it is not different from Behemoth at all.

I could not agree more with this post. You hit the nail on the head. No doubt in my mind that this will be a world class top 20 coaster. The park management really does have me scratching my head on this one though. CW is filled with mediocre coasters with inversions, I thought that a great Invert or Floorless would have fit better here.

Are any rides/attractions being removed for this does it look like? It looked to me like only maybe Speed City Raceway might be.

Nope, nothing is being removed, which is a great thing. Leviathan is taller than the attractions there so it is just built over Dragon Fire and everything in its way. The station and lift are adjacent to Speed City so it doesn't interact with that attraction.

To get some scale, the first hill is taller than Top Gun/Flight Deck, also at the front of the park on the southeast side.

It's better than dinosaurs alive. Be happy you're getting a coaster not some dumb animatronics

I think most people on here are happy that they're getting this ride. It's just that nobody knows why the park would build this...

I'm really excited about the first B&M Giga being built, but I'm definitely in the group that doesn't get the point of CW installing this particular ride.

Personally, I'm just glad that an investment of this magnitude is being made in the park at all (same thoughts when Behemoth was announced), and it is well deserved. The average attendance at Wonderland is among the best in North America and is even better then Cedar Point (according to Wikipedia). Before Behemoth, pretty much every new coaster brought into the park was a small sized clone (Tomb Raider, Top Gun, Sky Rider, Vortex, The Fly, The Bat). Funny thing is that before Behemoth was made, a popular belief as to why large coasters were never allowed into the park was because of the park's close-ish proximity to the airport. The announcing of Behemoth represented a crushing of rumours, and showed that Cedar Fairs was truly willing to invest in the park and make it 'bigger and better' after the first two operators (Kings and Paramount) stuck with the more generic options (although Paramount did invest wisely in flat rides). Leviathan, takes this symbol of investment significantly further. It can be argued all you want about whether or not it is just a bigger Behemoth, but if you look at the off-ride view of the ride video, you'll see that very few rides in the park come near that height or length - and that is what is making people go nuts when they hear of this coaster.

My home park Walibi Belgium hasn't had a coaster since 2001 (not counting the failed Vertigo experiment). And yet people whine CW is building an amazing B&M giga coaster... Holy crap, stop the whining and be happy you're getting an awesome looking coaster!!! I would kill to have one of these in Belgium.