TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

This ride looks awesome. Speed and solid airtime to be had? Yep, I'm making my first trip out there next year for sure.

With the whole Behemoth comparison thing, if you are complaining about having a hyper and a giga (both of which are made by B&M), then there is probably something wrong with you.

Millennium Force was 25 million year 1999 dollars, which is more like 30+ million 2011 dollars, so that (very long) ride is still their costliest.

I think we got the "essential" Intamin with 305, and we'll get the "essential" B&M here. I can see this on the top of a lot of lists for beemer fans.

Edited by Fooz

With the whole Behemoth comparison thing, if you are complaining about having a hyper and a giga (both of which are made by B&M), then there is probably something wrong with you.

QFT!!! Besides a few very basic similarities, they really are different types of rides, and I know that there are some parks in the chain that would kill to be in this position (cough CGA cough). Besides, most of Canada thinks that Behemoth is the fastest, longest, most awesome coaster in the world (my impression from when I went to CW), so I don't exactly think that the GP will complain about this too much.

I know most of you on the board know my feelings on the 'newer' B&M's, but I REALLY hope something special gets announced tomorrow. If this is seriously just another B&M hyper with some extra feet and the old hyper trains...blah...

Start flaming me now!

I can't start flaming you - you are right. While I am glad CW is adding another coaster, I sure wish it was not so much like Behemoth. I think they missed the boat with B&M and should have went with Intamin. I am not going to gripe about the ride experience until I ride it.

On the other hand, it will sure look good for the skyline and entrance to the park.....

For those that live in Southern Ontario, Michigan, Ohio, heck, most of the north east US, there are now three 300+ foot coasters in your backyard. Not to mention the likes of TTD and Kingda Ka. Four Giga coasters in the world, and the North Eastern part of North America holds the monopoly.

If you were to tell me four years ago when they announced Behemoth that wonderland would be getting a ride like Leviathan, I would have laughed. Well HA!

Having grown up with this as my home park, I can say this ride will be well loved, at the least by me. Everything has its fair share of haters, they have their opinions and that's that. Living in Windsor/Detroit, I am two hours away from Cedar Point, three from Wonderland, and ten from Kings Dominion. Three Giga coasters within driving distance. I think that's a pretty decent thing, as a coaster nut.

The way I see it. With the economy tanking, and so much crap going on in the world, Im just happy that things like this are still being built so I have a place to go escape from all the crap. Heres looking forward to next may!

Funniest thing Ive seen for a while. This is my new ringtone.

not even Millennium cost that much!

They built it a decade ago...

I watched the POV's and thought... WOW!!! Finally a coaster that nobody will complain about and then read through pages and pages of whining. What will it take for people to not whine about a new coaster?

It's a GIGA COASTER that probably won't make people black out like I-305 (doesn't sound like fun) has a totally different type of layout than Behemoth and looks like it will offer a reasonable amount of airtime (even though Behemoth looks like more of an airtime coaster). The layout is unique and cool... the name is awesome... and it's a GIGA COASTER. What's the problem? The chain lift? Really? I actually think it will be cool to have a slow ascent up such a massive structure. It will be the only coaster in the western world where you have time to appreciate how high up you are.

And by the way, the reason that they only went 306 feet probably has more to do with the 28 million dollar price tag than the height of Millennium Force.

Edited by coasterbill

And by the way, the reason that they only went 306 feet probably has more to do with the 28 million dollar price tag than the height of Millennium Force.

Well, I don't think that the extra 5 feet would have cost that much money. So, it all comes down to protecting Cedar Fair's crown park, Cedar Point.

I think they're thinking that the parks' guests will see the seating arrangement as the main difference between the two. Anybody notice the similarities between this layout and MF? It's kind of as if CF is building a 'foreign' CP in less than half the time; this brings CW's count to 16! I guess CW then is proving to be a big moneymaker for CF?

I mean, this coaster looks great, but it REALLY needs to be put elsewhere IMO. Canada's Wonderland could have chosen a much more fitting ride (like a B&M invert, since they don't have any spectacular loopers) and made it totally bonkers with $28 mil.

I can see how this would be a "relocated" ride...it seems like it was designed for another park (Knott's?) and was moved here because they already paid for the design. I could be wrong though...it could just be an odd decision to stick this in.

Also, the ride kinda takes a long brake run slope...I wish they at least had some sort of finale (like Raging Bull x2) to set it apart somehow instead of just heading right back. Behemoth probably has a longer ride time than this, but I can understand since this ride is just so massive (and it's B&M) so it costs a fortune.

Either way, it certainly looks pretty cool and it's a one-of-a-kind in it's own aspect. I still feel like there could have been more, or it just needed to be put somewhere more logical. Since the park already has one hyper-style ride, Leviathan should differentiate itself more (which is why I feel like an Intamin would be perfect in this situation). Oh well, all we know now is that CW = B&M airtime heaven!

Well, I don't think that the extra 5 feet would have cost that much money. So, it all comes down to protecting Cedar Fair's crown park, Cedar Point.

Even if they went the extra 5 feet, what are they accomplishing? It's not going to get a single extra person through the gate... it would then be the 4th tallest coaster in the world instead of the 5th and it would be the 3rd tallest coaster in the US (or 4th depending on how you count Superman Escape From Krypton). Who cares?

I think they're thinking that the parks' guests will see the seating arrangement as the main difference between the two. Anybody notice the similarities between this layout and MF? It's kind of as if CF is building a 'foreign' CP in less than half the time; this brings CW's count to 16! I guess CW then is proving to be a big moneymaker for CF?

I was just think about that, also, I think it's good that there is annother giga, that takes longer than a few seconds to complete the course.

The one stat that is glaringly omitted is the height of the first drop. Watching the point of view, it looks like the first drop goes into a trench. Are we looking at the biggest drop on a non-launched coaster? That could give a nice record to advertise next spring.

I heard Canada's Wonderland park attendance is higher than Cedar Point. So I see your point of the company favoring Cedar Point. I wish Cedar Point had another tranportation ride because that park is quite long!

I guess CW then is proving to be a big moneymaker for CF?

CW's attendance has been the highest for any NA seasonal park for years now, including CP's so I would assume so.

I think the person above me hit the nail on the head when he said they didn't want to make it larger than MF. That's Cedar Fair's baby and how dare a sister park steal that! I also disagree with the notion that this is exactly like Behemoth. I agree it's somewhat similar but it's got new elements like low speed runs and speed banks that look awesome which is different. Also don't forget that it's a freaking Giga.

Also I do think that this is the highest drop for any traditional coaster. There is a trench that it dips under which could make it taller than 310 ft in reality.

Millennium Force was 25 million year 1999 dollars, which is more like 30+ million 2011 dollars, so that (very long) ride is still their costliest.

That's such a good point. I would've never though about that.

Granted, I305 was $25 million in 2010 dollars...

I actually think it will be cool to have a slow ascent up such a massive structure. It will be the only coaster in the western world where you have time to appreciate how high up you are.

Totally agree with this. And the openness that comes with the B&M clamshells...

The one stat that is glaringly omitted is the height of the first drop. Watching the point of view, it looks like the first drop goes into a trench. Are we looking at the biggest drop on a non-launched coaster? That could give a nice record to advertise next spring.

great point, interesting.

Even if it's "just" a B&M giga, it's still gonna be awesome. I like how it seems to emphasize speed, which kind of makes it a complement to Behemoth, which is all about airtime. Sort of like MF and Magnum at Cedar Point--similar, but different enough. Way to go CW, you got a visit from me in the near future