TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Personally I would think CW wouldn't want anyone saying that their new ride was similar to anything else. Parks want their rides to be the "first/tallest/fastest/most exciting/perfect for families/etc" not "kinda like that other ride."

As for what it is...I would be thrilled to see B&M jump into the giga business. It would seem odd however to add another B&M airtime machine so soon. This would have to be similar in design to Raging Bull to make sense. Should be fun to watch this unfold.

Personally I would think CW wouldn't want anyone saying that their new ride was similar to anything else. Parks want their rides to be the "first/tallest/fastest/most exciting/perfect for families/etc" not "kinda like that other ride."

Tomb Raider

Italian Job

Top Gun

Sky Rider

The Bat

Dragon Fire

If this is a B&M coaster over 300 ft tall I think I might just die...

...fanboy.

..so then you would agree with both teaser statements if this came to be true...

"If I ride only one ride in 2012, this is the one!" - Gary Slade, Editor and Publisher, Amusement Today

"This is the one I have been waiting for!" - Paul Ruben, North American Editor, Park World

..I know I would..

well, i have been waiting for a beemer over 239.4 ft ever since I was temp ban for pointing out b&m makes coasters over 230ft tall...

Ahh those were the days lol...

If this is a B&M coaster over 300 ft tall I think I might just die...

...fanboy.

..so then you would agree with both teaser statements if this came to be true...

"If I ride only one ride in 2012, this is the one!" - Gary Slade, Editor and Publisher, Amusement Today

"This is the one I have been waiting for!" - Paul Ruben, North American Editor, Park World

..I know I would..

well, i have been waiting for a beemer over 239.4 ft ever since I was temp ban for pointing out b&m makes coasters over 230ft tall...

Ahh those were the days lol...

You were not temporarily banned for pointing it out. You were temporarily banned for being a DICK when pointing it out.

You were not temporarily banned for pointing it out. You were temporarily banned for being a DICK when pointing it out.

EXACTLY! And if you continue to be obnoxious. Jarmor, you will find your next ban won't be "temporary."

Tomb Raider

Italian Job

Top Gun

Sky Rider

The Bat

Dragon Fire

I worded that poorly. I should have said parks don't market their rides as similar to other rides. They want their new rides to be seen as exciting and unique.

I kind of like the idea of CW going for some records for once- and not just the crowds on a typical day.

As much as I'm looking forward to HP's SkyRush (Gee, no surprise there or anything!) I'm also looking forward to seeing this new 'whatever type of coaster it is' at CW; Another high-capacity coaster is REALLY needed there.

hey, I thought that was protocol...

Anyway...back to this presumed giga coaster...

As for what it is...I would be thrilled to see B&M jump into the giga business. It would seem odd however to add another B&M airtime machine so soon. This would have to be similar in design to Raging Bull to make sense. Should be fun to watch this unfold.

Well it's been four years since their last coaster so this does seem like a good time for a new ride.Seems like B&M may have figured out that if Intamin can build two gigas thus far & have them run consistently well at the parks they're in then the time is right for them to enter the market as well,not to mention the market saturation for their other designs minus the DM.

This reminds me of the debate we had over I305 when parts began showing up...especially the base of the lift when everyone swore it was gonna be a vertical coaster like HP's & it turned out to be a giga after all....should be interesting to see how this unfolds.

My opinion was always that a 250 ft wing rider was most likely, but the Gary Slade quote changes my mind. Hershey Park is getting a 200ft coaster which looks like it is going to be a great ride in Skyrush, and if he says this is the ride he cant wait to ride I would assume the idea of a giga coming north of the border isn't that hard to imagine. It would alleviate a lot of the foot traffic on the behemoth side of the park to, all of the rides worth riding are on that side of the park. Fingers crossed for the Giga, please no invert Wonderland.

all we got for our 30th Birthday this/last year was the wind avoiding seeker of wind.

To be fair, that ride which is "all you got" had HUGE lines at both Kings Island and Cedar Point during our visit. And while it might not be the most thrilling ride in the world to us thrill seekers and enthusiasts, it seemed to do a pretty good job of scaring the crap out of people who normally don't view the earth from 300 feet in the air.

Not everything a park builds is going to be for "you."

all we got for our 30th Birthday this/last year was the wind avoiding seeker of wind.

To be fair, that ride which is "all you got" had HUGE lines at both Kings Island and Cedar Point during our visit. And while it might not be the most thrilling ride in the world to us thrill seekers and enthusiasts, it seemed to do a pretty good job of scaring the crap out of people who normally don't view the earth from 300 feet in the air.

I am very aware of this, but you have to understand something from the perspective of the home town who has watched this park stagnate for years - everyone who has visited the park on here seems to be of the same agreement, that we already HAD a very fine selection of flat rides (no matter how tall they may be). It was not so much that we got the ride that upset me, and others - it was that we thought that it was going to be our 30th Birthday present for the park.

Come ride the 300ft Wind Seeker for our 30th and look down on all the wasted years where we did nothing to improve the place!

Granted, with construction underway on our new attraction I no longer feel this way - Even if it turns out to not be a giga, I will still be grateful for what will no doubt be another important addition to the park.

^^ also can't forget that all we got for our 30th Birthday this/last year was the wind avoiding seeker of wind.

We also got a fantastic version of Starlight spectacular, ongoing infrastructure improvements and related promotions in addition to Windseeker. Not to mention ours opened first

Not too shabby given that the park had also been planning this 'little' coaster thing all along.

^^

I think that after the Cedar Fair takeover, the park stopped stagnating. I've noticed huge improvements in the park (and not just in the extra trash cans). They've added a fantastic B&M hyper, actually got the waterfalls on Wonder Mountain to work, put in a pretty decent Planet Snoopy, kept the place clean and added Windseeker, a big draw for the GP.

I've actually been quite happy with how they've managed the park and definitely look forward to whatever new B&M hotness is coming our way next year.

^^ true enough on the starlight & other improvements around the park. I stand corrected. Still think the money on Wind could have easily been spent elsewhere in the park. Is the thing even running reliably as yet? I know Knott's got a retrofit for theirs but have not heard if it helped with the reliability.

Heck, spend the 5 million on finding a way for people to once again walk up our beloved mountain!

.. and I agree. One of the happiest moments for me pertaining to the park was when I heard CF was taking over. Things have been much better since their inception into office. I have always loved the 'ride' of the B&M's, so I am certainly stoked to see what they have up their sleeve to drive those 2 quotes.

Until Cedar Fair came to Wonderland our tallest coaster was...

The Bat @116' 6"

Vekoma / Boomerang

Operating since 1987

...and our fastest was...

Wild Beast @56 mph

Wood - Sit Down

Operating since 1981

Not many other parks could claim such wonderfully low stats considering what with our attendance being so high.

Side Note: Relating to our current construction. RCDB now lists our new project.

http://rcdb.com/10108.htm

Granted, they do point out that "Notes: While the type above is listed as "sit-down", it is just the default setting in the database. It will be updated when it isn't conclusively known what type of roller coaster this will be."

Edited by Brother Jay

^I definitely hear you on a few of your points, but not because of nothing being added. Similar feelings were there when watching how original movie-related attractions (Top Gun, FX Theatre after Days of Thunder and Italian Job, as examples) were de-themed over the years. Music, effects of all types and sets were all shut down or removed.

Regardless, we always got really cool additions in terms if thrill rides so money spent there was just better.

Also happy that landscaping and the grounds always remained prestine. Also happy that asphalt hasn't been introduced and hopefully won't be to public walkways and such.

Edit: Basically saying that we can't take for granted that the park is a great place to look at and be.

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

King's Dominion mentioned last year that this was a big thing that Canada's Wonderland brought forwards to the former Paramount and now Cedar Fair parks.

Wonderland has always used paver stones throughout the park instead of asphalt. It's a large up-front cost but over the long term it's much cheaper. If one paver breaks, it can be replaced. If something happens to asphalt, a large area must be dug up and redone. It's also MUCH cooler during those hot, sunny months.

So look for more Cedar Fair parks to go this route when designing new midways.

Not sure if it's been posted already, but Wonderland now has an official YouTube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadasWonderlandPR

Hopefully they'll keep posting videos and not just abandon it after they post renderings of the new coaster.

Good to see, just like their commercials they show rides in the advert that are not in the park...

Park Entrance Disclaimer: S&S Tower and B&M Invert not available with admission to the park.

I am very aware of this, but you have to understand something from the perspective of the home town who has watched this park stagnate for years - everyone who has visited the park on here seems to be of the same agreement, that we already HAD a very fine selection of flat rides (no matter how tall they may be). It was not so much that we got the ride that upset me, and others - it was that we thought that it was going to be our 30th Birthday present for the park.

Come ride the 300ft Wind Seeker for our 30th and look down on all the wasted years where we did nothing to improve the place!

Granted, with construction underway on our new attraction I no longer feel this way - Even if it turns out to not be a giga, I will still be grateful for what will no doubt be another important addition to the park.

You sound like a jaded local who won't be happy no matter what they put in the park. You're not the kind of customer they are targeting.

As much as I would love our home park to add huge attractions each year, the real question is "why"?

The park can add nothing and attendance numbers will increase. I don't think Wonderland has ever "stagnated". Paramount added new attractions every year. Just because they didn't add things the coaster enthusiast crowd would love doesn't mean they weren't excellent additions. The non-coaster enthusiast guests to the park (typically called "GP") are excited about any new attraction. 99% of the people that go to Wonderland go crazy over everything. People STILL tell me how much they LOVE Flight Deck. They don't know any better.

Maybe the park went a little far in advertising WindSeeker as being a great thrill ride (it's quite tame actually) but to be honest, it's another great family ride. I've seen kids to elderly seniors on the ride. It's another good "filler" addition between Cedar Fair putting in large attractions.

It's these small-medium sized attractions that made Canada's Wonderland a HUGE success. We're lucky that Cedar is continuing to put in large coasters as they definitely don't need to do so to keep the attendance (and revenue) coming in.

To demonstrate how few people that attend Wonderland travel to other parks, let me quickly mention the Platinum Passes. The first year the passes were introduced, Cedar Fair created 10,000 Platinum Passes for Canada's Wonderland. We're STILL using up that original batch! That's why we still have the old design and every other park has the new design. People don't buy them here because most of them just come to Wonderland.

Cedar Fair is spending money all around the park. There have been some really good general park improvements that have happened over the past few years. Some are obvious (top 2 waterfalls on Wonder Mountain working again) and some not so obvious (new electrical lines placed throughout the park for future expansion).