TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Ok question. You have a choice. Would you rather have;

A. A Giga with no inversions with lap bars.

or

B. A Giga with inversions but OTSR (Remember I305?)

Inversions do not make or break a ride for myself. I want smooth, fun, decent start, memorable finish and long lasting impression.

But if I had to choose, I would go with A.

Think of coasters as a movie or book...a great beginning, middle and end. Raptor is a good example of from start to finish a great ride. MF has a great start but, in my personal opinion, albeit a fun middle its not really that exciting...

I have not been on i305, but it looks amazing and I too have heard great reviews pre and post straps, trims, etc.

Ahhhh, gotcha....and yes, you are correct.

Just that comment from Gary Slade is what keeps putting me to, regardless of company, something we've never seen before. A new type of coaster or a new twist on an old classic.

I do dream of a TTD + i305 love child.

Just out of curiosity when did Gary Slade make that comment? It sounds like this could be something very special going into Wonderland.

Not to knock Raging Bull as it's my favorite steel coaster but I'd like to see Intamin try doing a similar type of hyper or giga twister just to see how they would pull that off. At least there won't be any mid-ride trims.

After the coolness of Maximum RPM, it's looking like a Premier Rides giga revolver wheel coaster with a launch midway. That or the world's biggest spaghetti bowl coaster.

No guarantee that this will be Intamin or B&M, although the strongest clues from the site point to Intamin.

Just a bit longer!

Just out of curiosity when did Gary Slade make that comment? It sounds like this could be something very special going into Wonderland.

Not to knock Raging Bull as it's my favorite steel coaster but I'd like to see Intamin try doing a similar type of hyper or giga twister just to see how they would pull that off. At least there won't be any mid-ride trims.

An email was sent to Gary asking him for some details on what his statement was regarding. He stated that it was the engineering involved in this ride that made him say that - and that was based on all the rides he was currently aware of for 2012.

Still can't wait. Like being a kid at Christmas again.

Like I was saying in another thread (Hersheypark? Cedar Point? I don't remember. Might have been too much chocolate milk last night), I don't think it's because of safety issues that Intamin puts their OTSRs on their non-inverting rides. The reason I think they put OTSRs on is because the seats need a tall backrest, and they've already developed a restraint system for their rides with tall backrests. Without a tall backrest, the backward acceleration from the lift and drop could do damage to a rider's back and neck. Intimidator 305 and Skyrush both have steep lifts and steeper drops.

Like I was saying in another thread (Hersheypark? Cedar Point? I don't remember. Might have been too much chocolate milk last night), I don't think it's because of safety issues that Intamin puts their OTSRs on their non-inverting rides. The reason I think they put OTSRs on is because the seats need a tall backrest, and they've already developed a restraint system for their rides with tall backrests. Without a tall backrest, the backward acceleration from the lift and drop could do damage to a rider's back and neck. Intimidator 305 and Skyrush both have steep lifts and steeper drops.

I personally think they have it just because of the overbanked curves, because that would really hurt when your hanging by your legs on positive g's. But that also might be correct ^. Who knows. But I find lap bars more fun.

^^^, ^^ The OTSR straps can accommodate a wider range of 'body types'. I remember that being a main reason for them on i305. I guess that's why they went with that train type over the new Bizarro trains, which are essentially the same design as the original, save for a U lap bar instead of a T.

Moral of the story: It all depends on what the park wants. Looking at MF, Ka and TTD, you can have either type.

I still haven't been to the park since June, but I hear there is a 'CL' marking painted on the ground near the front gate? As cool as it would be to have a new coaster interact with the entrance, I can't see it happening. The construction site right now is too far away and having the coaster go all the way out there would just seem too forced. That said, I kind of think it's a trick by the park. CF has been doing that a lot lately... (Carowinds' "HUSS GF" marker, the giga coaster tag). A company that loves their privacy when it comes to new attractions wouldn't do stuff that blatantly obvious.

With Gary Slade saying that he made that comment based on the engineering, I'd like to believe that this will be a very unique attraction, something that we shouldn't be comparing with other existing rides. I still can't stick with a prediction... I kind of want to say B&M Wing rider, but Thorpe Park has that down for 2012 as well. Hmm...

A giga would certainly be another incredible coaster to pair with Behemoth (not only would it be a great ride, but I've heard nothing but positives as to how quickly Intimidator 305's line moves), but there are two other rides I'd rather see. One, I'd want to see a multiple inversion coaster. Whether it be an Intamin looper, Intamin accelerator coaster, or B&M wing rider, I think that would fit in nicely since the park's current inverting coasters (Dragon Fire, Flight Deck, and Bat) are pretty bad. Second, I'd want to see an Intamin wooden coaster. While this rumor hasn't surfaced, I think it would be a great fit for the park. Not only would it finally provide the park with a smooth and incredible wooden coaster, but it would have the potential to be a top 10 wooden coaster like the other Intamin wooden coasters.

^^Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't CW's attendance better than any other CF park not named KBF last year. As a matter of fact, wasn't their attendance better than any park in North America that wasn't located in Central Florida or SoCal. ...So why not have a giga?

Well, the more important question is "WHY have a giga"?

Seriously, if it's attendance is already so high, and with very little competition in the surrounding area (unless you count Darien Lake, which is hardly competition for them), then why invest tens of millions of dollars on a major new coaster so soon after you've already just done so?

Hell, with very little major added for so many years, attendance remained one of the highest in North America. Then they just added a major new attraction to raise and maintain that attendance. How much would a new major attraction right now actually help the park, financially?

Sure, as an enthusiast, I'd totally agree that the park needs another great coaster. (Which would give it two!)

But if I were a shareholder, I'd question the use of so many of my funds for a park that's already performing very well.

This thinking sounds like a double edged sword because on the one hand if a park is doing very well atendancewise then they don't need a new ride to bring more people in but on the other hand if the same park is doing poorly the thinking is they don't deserve a new ride because investing the funds into said ride for said park will not yield a high enough ROI to justify the expense....the way I see it it's eather one or the other but it can't be both otherwise no parks in the world would invest in new rides each year.

Whoot! Aqua blue pieces and such on site! I'm sure the awesome photographers will post some pics -- kunpc1, cedarfair?

Hope to make it back....with a camera at least lol

A pic was posted to another site, I can vouch that these pieces were on a flatbed heading north on I-71 from the Cincinnati area on Friday evening. My wife and I passed them on our way back to Columbus.

^Wow so I guess that points to B&M (they have a plant in Ohio?). The pieces look like maintenance shed pieces, kind of like on Behemoth.

I didn't want to come right out and say it, since I didn't think most were thinking B&M.

The fabrication plant that produces stateside B&M components is in Batavia I believe, and I-71 north would be the natural route up to CW. It was the color that caught my attention first, and my first thought was something to do with Wicked Twister. Seeing those photos, though, I can say with absolute certainty that I saw those pieces on a truck Friday.